Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Financial Reporting: Break out extra charges

Anytime Memberships are reported out, maybe not at the high summary level, but at the indivdual membership level I would like to see a breakdown of membership fee vs. extra item fee (e.g. In July I had $500 of membership income, how much was from elite level, how much from regular level, and for each, what percentage is membership fee and what percentage is extra items).

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle MitchellKyle Mitchell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Shelbi HoffmanShelbi Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for the feature! I have a client that charges a membership fee, but gives the options for membership materials to be shipped for $20. We would like to easily break out this fee instead of having to track it manually. I would also vote for the ability to add donation fields within the membership application/renewal process.

• PBGVonePBGVone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we hold an event, national dog show, our registration form covers a lot of territory with some item choices being free while others, such as meals/seminars, charge various dollar amounts. The export to Excel feature includes the item label but not a dollar amount column. To see a complete record broken down by attendee and each registered item and cost, you either have to go through all the invoices or manually add a dollar column after each item. From a “reporting to treasurer” standpoint, this is a fairly big problem.

I have “wished” for better reporting since we joined Apricot back in the Stone Age and hope this will be considered in their next update. PBGVone, PBGV Club of America

• ClevelandEvalClevelandEval commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news yet on whether this function will be added?

Our "Member Late Event Registration plus Membership Renewal" is the same price as our "Non Member Event Registration" for example (there are other combinations that are likewise indistinguishable in the total, especially if one person is paying for multiple guests with different items for each!).

We also have some items we charge for (Continuing Education Units) that require separate paperwork processes and follow up to ensure people get their items.

Simply having those item component fields appear in the search and in an export would be very helpful to see who paid for what and make sure everyone gets what they paid for.

• pollcokkpollcokk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We certainly agree that the accounting for extra fees is woefully inadequate. The lump payment is stored and retrievable but non of the details are available either in excel, quickbooks or via reporting. We need to be able to distinguish these extra fees from dues.

Kim Pollock

• Jennifer WalkerJennifer Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Being able to code costs on the back-end, or see a more detailed breakdown, will be extremely helpful when it comes time to record revenues in an accounting program. Otherwise you are required to manually allocate rec'd revenues to multiple revenue accounts.

I would go a step further and request the ability to code a single fee to multiple categories. For instance, I work with a client who receives annual member fees that are allocated to three separate accounts: $150 - $75 to member dues, $70 to regional fees (this is paid to the regional offices bi-annually) and $5 for printing fees.

The greater the ability to pull detailed financial reports, the greater the ability to streamline and increase efficiencies, the greater my ability to make my clients happy :-)

Jennifer Walker

• skipatskipat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like further breakdown as to the source of the revenue --- broken down by the source of the revenue. It makes it easier for a trip leader if all the money order/checks that they have collected are totaled clearly in one column, keep credits applied separately, and on line revenue (credit card payments) a separate total.

I think the old payment report separated on line revenue from manual payment revenue, and I don't see that in the new one. That will be missed. Now that we can also issue credits to invoices, that should be a separate entry too.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gordon,

Sorry, we did not have this on the wishlist so we simply did not think about it. Now that we have this here, I would appreciate comments from others to help us prioritize this.

I think a possible solution is to separate the base registration fee/membership level fee from all other charges in the Income report.

• GordonGordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was disappointed to see that the financial upgrades in version 4.0 continues to lump income for an individual member into a single bucket with no breakout as to source.

Specifically, membership fees and extra charge items purchased during membership signup/renewal are reported as a single lump sum. In my case I have membership levels at $20 and at $25 but I also have an option for members to have their newsletter delivered by surface mail for and extra $5. I may have $500 in membership fees at the end of the month but no idea how to divide up the revenue between membership and newsletters.

Granted, we can export the membership files and do the whole thing manually but we could do that before version 4.0.

Also, as I understand it, the same is true for Events. Extra items purchased during event registration are lumped in with registration income and we have to go in at a detail record level and break out these charges manually.

The reality is that Excel is still the best reporting tool.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7