Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Custom Administrator Permissions - to define new admin roles and access permissions depending on an organization needs

Currently there are set administrator "roles." If an organization's administrators don't fall neatly into these roles, then they end up with either too many or not enough permissions. It would be nice to be able to customize administrator roles, and determine whether that type of admin has full access, read-only access, or no access to all of the items described in the tables on the Site Administrators help page. I.e. A page to create/edit a role with radio selection to determine access for that role for each feature of the site. This would be immensely helpful for reducing clutter for administrators that don't need to see certain features and menu tabs. http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Managing+site+administrators

91 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LizLiz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TangentRWTangentRW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree that the existing limits on the number of administrators are too few in number but, if this number were increased, too many admins would have too much power. One question that I will ask, and for which in fairness I don’t expect Wild Apricot to answer publicly, is does Wild Apricot actually need a limit on the number of administrators when there already exists another parameter, the number of contacts, for moving an account up to the next pricing tier?

For an organization to grow organically it needs to rely upon its members’ contributions from below and that means empowering the members with some of the powers currently held by system administrators. The lesser powers could be assigned to individuals, to groups, or to membership levels. In our case we would want essentially all of our members to have the power to create most details of an event and for some trusted members we probably could let them create all of the details of an event.

I also point out that limits on the number of people with administrative authority is affecting how users come up with proposals on the Wishlist. For example the current proposal for allowing members to create their own events is at least partly an attempt to circumvent limits that were placed on the number of administrators.

• Tom LynchTom Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to see an ability to make admins that can only see certain aspects of a members profile so that we can have admins that cant see things like members payment status, or their address.

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see an Admin role established for Newsletter and/or email blasts only. Our newsletter editor shouldn't have to be a full Admin just to create/send a newsletter. Also, I find it odd, as a website Mgr/Admin, that I have to allow others Admin to access their needs who can then delete me and take over the site. I guess I'm not the fully trusting type of person. ;-)

• MorganMorgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a website-only administrator role. It seems very strange to me that none of the current administrator roles permit this. Allowing someone to manage the website without access to member and contact records seems like it would be a common need. Even better if we could specify which web pages such an administrator could access (e.g., new pages only, related to an event, for example, without access to the rest of the site).

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of similar wishlist items to this one and WA should combine all of them so it gets implemented soon. I think the best example is what Memberplanet current has. Instead of roles, they have check boxes for different access areas like events, emails, donations, etc. Right now, the membership manager and event manager roles give non-admins way too much access. For example, the event manager can see all the members, edit their information, void invoices, and send out emails. What many organizations really need is just to allow a volunteer to view the event registrations and nothing else.

• KimKim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments already posted about separating the financial function, creating read only access and having individual controls.

• robingrobing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely support this idea. I'm in the middle of restoring nearly 400 records that were inadvertently suspended by someone, and it's a messy process where even after importing, I'm going to have to go through and manually verify and/or update each one. If she had been able only to see that stuff but have admin access for only specific things, that would never have happened.

• Pavel ScherbinskyPavel Scherbinsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if there was a read-only membership manager role. The functional that I am looking for is ability to view the content of restricted contact and membership fields without being able to make any changes.

• Jeanne HuberJeanne Huber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's an example of why customized admin levels are critical: We depend on volunteers to post upcoming classes & events. But that also gives them access to financial aspects of classes, which in our situation is a real problem. We've had instances where people went in and canceled their own invoices. We need the customized approach so people can manage the content-creation part but not the finances.

• BSBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every association is different and we should have the ability to set up Admin permissions to fit our needs. Period. Please make the magic happen.

• D LeeD Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this. It also seems weird that the Membership Admin can not edit the Automatic Membership Emails... Would be nice if that was a specific Admin feature.

• VinceVince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a great aid to Administration to provide functional access to individuals. Currently everything has to be done via one admin to keep controls and consistency

• Mary AdamsMary Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the radio button option. My huge problem is that read-only access comes with the ability to export contacts. Doesn't feel appropriate for read-only....

• Onboarding TeamAdminOnboarding Team (Onboarding, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you elaborate on the problem this creates? E.g. Why wouldn't you want a board member to see financial information, if they can see membership information?

Note, we're not trying to split hairs here, instead we really want to understand the specific problems this would solves.

• RenRen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same issue. I have around 25-50 people on our board at any given time. They all want to be able to view certain aspects of the website backend, like membership. But I don't want them to have access to everything. Why can't the different levels also have different sections?
        Like Membership Admin: choice #1 Full Access, Choice #2 Read-Only, Choice #3 View database, but not financial/Invoice information.

• Chuck PenaChuck Pena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical, we have events that range in price from free to $6000. I have to give every person coordinating any event full access to all of these events. This is a major error waiting to happen. Accidentally, screwing up a $6000 event can cost us a lot of money.

• John HallJohn Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the administrators should be able to customise the permissions to suit the organisation. I would also recommend this be implemented ASAP

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base