Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Username vs. Email, or sharing same email for multiple contacts (e.g. family)

Although the last update of WA software allowed site admins to create membership entries without email addresses, this only addresses a small part of the problem.

We want to move away from costly site admin intervention, ideally new members will create their own entries and we will only validate them once dues have been paid.

This means that we really do still need to allow:
(1) members to sign up without email addresses and
(2) members to sign up with duplicate email addresses.

I assume that (2) will have to mean moving away from having the username == email address and the introduction of proper unique usernames for login purposes. This in itself will be a very welcome addition.

Regards,
Ian
worthing and adur chamber of commerce

118 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

iantiant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    wouterwouter shared a merged idea: Family members  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Member email identifier  ·   · 
    vincevince shared a merged idea: Multiple email address use  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: same email for more than one membership account or attach more than one account to the same contact  ·   · 
    David CooksonDavid Cookson shared a merged idea: Email field: allow to set as required / mandatory  ·   · 
    SandraSandra shared a merged idea: Need Company memberships not tied to one email address or person  ·   · 
    clare.chibaclare.chiba shared a merged idea: Number fields  ·   · 
    SuzanneHSVSuzanneHSV shared a merged idea: Allow duplicate email addresses for bundle memberships  ·   · 

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill BrennerBill Brenner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About a third of our membership do not have a unique email address and have for years used a single contact in their organization to receive email on their behalf. When importing our membership contact information I created a custom work email field. I was able to add the members without a unique email address however I cannot send them an information to their admin contact. I would like to see something similar to this that would allow you to select a custom field as the send to email address instead of having to use the default email address field. I think this may solve a lot of problems for people in the same situation.

• Tim SwansonTim Swanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not allow more than one email per adult member. This goes against best practice with respect to acceptance of terms and conditions, most notably waivers. Our insurer requires us to uniquely identify each adult member using their unique email address. There are many outdoor organizations that need membership systems and very few systems that handle waivers properly. WA is close. Don't go backwards.

• VBSRVBSR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have many members with one email and two companies. We would appreciate it if you could please fix this problem. Thank you.

• wouterwouter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why not use email comment

e.g.:
        john.doe@wildapricot;com
        john.doe@wildapricot;com(son)
        john.doe@wildapricot;com(daughter)

• wouterwouter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution for family members.

Currently it isn't possible to assign the same membership email to multiple members. This would be handy for parents who subscribe their young children as member to the organization in our case a sports-club.

• Walt BilofskyWalt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please avoid using developer/admin terminology in the end user/member interface.* It's a small point, but it helps our members feel engaged.

In this case, you say on the registration form "Select contact to register for event."

They are not contacts. They are people.

If you want to also accommodate cases where they are something else, like businesses, avoid the terminology altogether by saying "Who is registering for this event?"
        -------------------------------------

* - Another instance of this is exposing users to the developer/admin term "bundle". See https://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8828305-customizing-the-term-bundle

• Corinne ColbertCorinne Colbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tim, I'd like to hear about your workaround as well. Our breed club has a significant number of couples who use the same e-mail address (often linked to their kennel domain) and the thought of assigning dummy e-mails to them all makes my head spin.

• Robin TaylorRobin Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need to allow two people on the same email. Very common for some of us when there's a wife/husband or senior couple. Many people like to share even when it's easy to have two emails.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tim, I would like to know about solution for both issues (family members sharing same email and ones w/o email address).

• Tim WhitneyTim Whitney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ian,

I have found a solution that certainly helps both issues. Tis not a cure yet it allows you to have Contacts/Members without email and it allows you to setup same without duplicating emails. If your interested - please let me know. Regards, Tim.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe Wild Apricot is an amazing database software. I am loving my trial. My only issue is with the email address being the primary identifier. In our database we have several family members who use the same email address and I can see my database coming to grief when they log in. I've done the exercise and found that the new entry over rides the existing contact. Anyone else experiencing this issue.?

• Dave McleodDave Mcleod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to have the ability to enter duplicate email addresses. Our club has many husband/wife pairs that use the same email address as well as child members. Right now we have to create dummy email addresses and it is a big hassle for us.

• LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We don’t find any practical use for self-service on public site for such contacts, since we cannot communicate them using our system automatically." -Admin

I would contend that there is practical use for self-service for users without email. We are a retirement association and about half our members don't have email or don't want to share it with us, but that doesn't mean that they don't go online. We would like them to be able to RSVP for member-only events and to update their mailing address online, without needing an email address to do so. They don't need any of the system email communications (and in fact, we're turning most of those off as they would likely confuse our members). A unique username to log in would solve this issue. At the very least, allowing members to log in with their email OR their User ID would be a partial solution. Thank you for your consideration.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chamber of Commerce can have one contact with more than one membership. I will like to use the same email address for others membership that have that contact, or attach that memberships to the same email address for send communications for each membership (for example, send communication about changes in the membership account for each membership, etc).

• David CooksonDavid Cookson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jim Sympathy, Fluid Apricot said: Admins cannot manually set the email (or user id) as required, or make it optional, this is the default setting which cannot be changed. Email is such a special field (a primary key) that all normal rules go out the window and labeling it this way like any other normal field is a mistake on our part. We do plan to eventually make "User ID" the only primary key, which would then make Email behave like other normal fields but for now Email is still considered a primary key and has its special rules.
        My suggestion: Please make "User ID" the only primary key so that email behaves like other normal fields. Thanks

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7