Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Membership renewal when registering for an event

Hi, we're just into our second year with wild apricot and our members are starting to renew their memberships and register for this season's events. We ran the memberships yearly expiring on Aug 31 2015, so all are expired now. Most people took the hint to renew their membership when registering for an event in 2016, but somehow some paid for just the new events but didn't renew their membership. I have the setting somewhere (can't find it now) that they can register for multiple events and then pay at the end. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing to make them pay for the membership renewal at the same time they pay for the events? Or is that a feature that would be for the wishlist?

Thanks,

Greg

88 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

BCHDABCHDA shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Betsey CliffordBetsey Clifford shared a merged idea: Integrate Membership with events so people can renew their membership when registering for an event.  ·   · 
    jlvoss1jlvoss1 shared a merged idea: New member and renewing member registration integrated into event registration process  ·   · 
    CrystalCrystal shared a merged idea: Integrate and Update Membership with Event Registrations  ·   · 
    TracyTracy shared a merged idea: Provide an event registration type that includes two separate line items for membership and event registration.  ·   · 
    PLYNCHPLYNCH shared a merged idea: Auto-renewal of membership with event attendence [11678]  ·   · 

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steven RattendiSteven Rattendi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! A lapsed member should also be prompted to renew their membership when registering for an event. This should happen regardless of whether or not they have logged into their account. Right now, a lapsed member gets a suggestion to login, but not a suggestion to renew and, correctly, non of the registration types requiring active membership are available to them.

When you enter your email address to register for an event the system should:
        1) Let your register as appropriate because it acknowledges you are an active member,
        2) Prompt you to renew because your membership is lapsed and then let you register for the event,
        3) Prompt you to apply for membership because you are not in the contact list, and then let you register for the event.

Right now, the system seems to do 1 and 3 BUT does not do 2.

• Ron BelisleRon Belisle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same issue. Here's what I wrote Wild Apricot support yesterday.
        It seems that if someone becomes a member in our new Wild Apricot system, say in September of 2016 (a year long membership), and then in July of 2017 when registration for the 2017 conference opens (the conference is in mid October), that person could technically register for the 2017 conference at the lower member discounted rate. But we don’t want people to be able to register for a conference at a discounted rate when their membership has expired at the time of the conference.

What can we do in such a case?

• CrystalCrystal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a similar thread (https://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/9949890-membership-renewal-when-registering-for-an-event) that I commented on, but I don't know that our suggestions are totally the same.

Right now, we are unable to integrate membership renewal and new membership into event registrations. We have tons of lapsed memberships this year seemingly due to the fact that we had separate membership renewal and event registration. People didn't renew before registering or were unable to find the membership form (which is no fault of WA). Anyways, it would be awesome if membership renewal could be integrated into an event registration form and membership could be updated automatically when someone registers for an event. We integrated membership into registration for our annual conference 2 years ago, but we had to manually update memberships based on what people paid for during registration. The current system is very inconvenient and not conducive to a good user experience (on either the admin or the member sides).

• CrystalCrystal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had so many lapsed memberships this year due to the separation of membership renewal and event registration. In the past, we lumped both together, but we had to manually update memberships (such a hassle!). It would be soooo awesome if we could lump event registration with membership renewal/new membership so our members and event attendees could complete everything in one transaction and their membership would be updated automatically.

• TroyTroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to charge for membership at events would be helpful for us. We hold a large symposium and often get new members through that event signup and many of our existing members renew their membership at the same time.

• TracyTracy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our major events require membership. Most of our attendees do not renew their membership until it is time to register for the first major event of the year. Rather than charge them a nonmember fee, or require them to register for membership and the event separately, I want them to have the option to register for both at the same time, but have two separate line items for record keeping and accounting purposes. Can a second “Base Price Box” (one for the membership and one for the event registration) be offered to create this kind of event registration type?

• HollyHolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In each event you have the option to allow only members to register for the event. It is a checkbox in the Registration Type page.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you mean that people shouldn't be able to register for future events at the membership-dependent rate, if the membership will expire before the event itself? If so, I agree.

• tpoyntontpoynton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My delay in reply does not indicate lack of interest!

We have membership dues for two years included in the price of conference attendance (and the conference happens every two years), so I dont think this would work. Perhaps we are unique, but this is the only event we run tied to membership. If dues were not included, your idea would probably work for some!

• tpoyntontpoynton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use a similar system to those who have posted above - membership renewal is tied to event attendance, and it would be nice to have 'the system' include the renewal process as part of event registration. I see how this could potentially be problematic if someone needs a refund. My plan was to do a bulk update (export event attendees and update their renewal date), but it would be nice if members could check the contact info we have for them while they are registering. We have all memberships valid for two years, all expiring on the same date, and new memberships are prorated.

• zimmermannericzimmermanneric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our annual conference is also used to renew memberships and to add new members. The conference is at a discounted rate for those becoming new members or renewing their membership. The membership renewal dates, as luck would have it, are after the conference dates so members are not forced to renew prior to event registration. It is also possible for users to become new members during any time of the year. When designing the registration types for an event it would be useful if there was a way to tie in a registration transaction which shows as a unique line item in the invoice and triggers the corresponding membership type.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for posting - I do not think this has been brought up before. We did have people ask about the ability to register for an event and apply for membership and then pay once. That scenario we will try to address in our next version 4.3 - it would basically allow a user to do two separate things first (event registration and membership application) and then pay for both invoice in one online transaction. What you are talking is different, here are the key things to consider:

1)this would apply to existing members only (renewal)

2) Currently we always force members to review/check their profile/record during renewal, would this apply as well?

3) Would this work with memberships with dynamic pricing based on selected options?

Anyway, I would appreciate comments from other users as well.

• PLYNCHPLYNCH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have used a strategy for many years of including a year's membership with the paid attendance of our symposium. With Wild Apricot, I have to manually renewal all atendees. I wish that a field could be added to automatically extend the membership a year.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7