Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Customizable Membership Reports

The Wild Apricot membership, contact, event and donation systems contain vast amounts of hugely valuable raw data but there are few tools to summarize this data and no way to distribute it.

The Dashboards are valuable but contain limited information and no distribution tools.

The report generation tools for Events are quite wonderful. They are flexible, customizable and do a great job of summarizing data. However their value is minimal since there is no way to capture or distribute the information they provide.

Could you please:
* Provide a reporting tool for Members similar to the reports for Events
* Provide these and all other reports with an "Export" button.

18 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

GordonGordon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Larry KillerLarry Killer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is where I need to place my wishlist request. I need to generate a report that details membership numbers (by membership level) each month. I need to also be able to query the data to retrieve this data from months past. As an example, I need to know how many members we had at each level, by month, starting July 2015 and working forward.
        Having a report like that would help me tremendously.

• Chris TworekChris Tworek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to see a basic functionality that allows sorting and querying the membership data base within WA and then allowing either exporting or printing the results rather than exporting the total database.

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please create a dedicated wishlist thread (in our Wishlist forum) about auto-generated reports? This is something new and I want to discuss this separately.

And can you please also put some more details into the thread - what kind of reports you want to auto generate and why you need this?

• douglaskotdouglaskot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And even better still would be automated summary reports that would generate a report each month, or for other set periods of time.

• Nancy ScanlanNancy Scanlan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to print them without the search criteria at the top of the report. Even better would be to be able to export to a word processor.

• evemarieevemarie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search features on members and the custom layouts have been helpful for producing reports about our members. It's very helpful to export to excel, but I've been unable to export only the fields that are required, so we are doing a lot of work to get a report that can be distributed to our steering committee.

I would like to be able to print these reports with custom layouts, or export them to a word processing software. The print command prints the search criteria at the top of the report.

Thank you!

Eve-Marie

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@roger111 - appreciate you posting the ideas on this matter.

Would love to hear from other users - is this something you are looking for, anything lacking/you would like to see in a different way etc.

• roger111roger111 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

This is a follow up on the membership reporting. Any organization that wants to control its membership will probably be looking for statistics on:

Member numbers by level at a date.

Subsequent Additions and losses to those numbers during selected periods by month for a year for instance.

Member numbers at the end of the period so all these figures can reconcile.

At present there does not seem any method of extracting this due to the lack of basic information in the database. If it were I suppose we could dump the database into excel and massage it as a short term solution but we cannot deal with a lack of fundamental information.

The dashboard also is lacking as it does not show a coherent view of how the information should be displayed. Additions are treated differently from lapses. Despite the fact that most organizations will work in calendar months the additions are on a 30 day calendar - I suppose this speaks more to the ease of setting up a simple 30 day rule.

In a perfect world the database would capture the required information. There would be a reporting system in the dashboard that would be meaningful and allow the management to understand if the trends of membership were good or bad related to periods and that this with the ability to see the details and print them out would be complemented with a graph of the results. If not the ability to push this out to excel for graphical manipulation.

Regards

Thanks Gordon, appreciate the details. We do need to understand the general variety/direction of reports so that we can produce a customizable reporting tool.

About exporting - understood and makes good sense. You might want to create a separate thread so that this can be properly prioritized.

• GordonGordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dmitry -

I currently produce a membership report from a program I wrote that scans the membership Export All file and counts the stuff that's important to me and my board. But this is a report that is personalized to my needs and whose content and format is not relevant or of interest to other WA customers.

I suspect that any attempt you make to come up with a fixed format membership report will satisfy a few WA users but fail to meet the unique needs of all the others. I urge you therefore to not produce membership (or any other?) reports but rather to provide tools for your users to produce their own reports.

There is a great example of a flexible and very powerful reporting tool in the Wild Apricot Event Registration Report. This is a wonderful tool that could fill the vast majority of membership reporting needs and it automatically adapts itself to the unique characteristics if each user's data.

It would be a great first step for you to provide this tool to report on membership data. It may be necessary to produce additional reports where this general tool falls short but this reporting tool would satisfy most general reporting requirements.

There is one other absolutely essential feature of any report - it must be exportable. All of these reports must have a "Copy" button or some way for them to be pasted into Excel or directly into emails or other documents. The preferred format for these reports would be tab delimited .txt files. Without the ability to export or cut 'n paste these reports they are just data on the screen and are of no particular value.

My membership report is shown below. While I concede that many of the items on this report could not be produced by the Event Registration Report the important details are the number of members falling into the various membership categories which is exactly what the Event Registration Report does so well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SRCC Membership Report as of Wed May 12 17:06:17 2010

Count of Individual Memberships is 538
        Count of Family Memberships is 290

Total Memberships 828

Count of extra family members is 484

Total memberships + family members 1312

Count of 1, 2, 3 yr, reccur memberships is 777, 12, 14, 25.
        Count of new members last month 27
        Count of email newsletters to members 684
        Count of print newsletters to members 144
        Count of Complementary memberships is 42
        Count of newsletters to Comp members is 38

The average age of 360 members who have reported is 51 years and 318 days.

# of members by age range is:

0-10 years = 0
        11-20 years = 1
        21-30 years = 8
        31-40 years = 46
        41-50 years = 99
        51-60 years = 119
        61-70 years = 73
        71-80 years = 13
        81-90 years = 1
        91-99 years = 0

Gordon, can you elaborate - what kind of membership reports would you ideally like to see in Wild Apricot? I would appreciated detailed examples.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7