Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Membership Trends Reporting

Retaining your membership is important to your organization. While Wild Apricot gives you the ability to do automatic renewals and send out reminders for non-automatic renewals, some have suggested that it would be handy to be able to report on this.

Suggested
Create the ability for administrators to be able to run reports on renewal rates for members.

The important thing for this is that we identify what information should be in the reports. At first blush, I can imagine:
* In a year, how many renewals were done before the renewal date, on the renewal date, and then certain days after renewal date (5 days after, 30 days after etc). This could be set up so that it gets the dates from the reminders that you've set up on your membership level.
* Attrition - How many members within a certain time period have not renewed or have been archived .

I'd love to hear what other information about your members renewal/membership status you'd like to be able to track and analyze.

55 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

anonymous_206.223.175.10anonymous_206.223.175.10 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Patrick MurphyPatrick Murphy shared a merged idea: Get a snapshot of membership stats on any date in the past  ·   · 
    Niki PassmoreNiki Passmore shared a merged idea: Membership and Renewal Reports  ·   · 
    docjohndocjohn shared a merged idea: membership renewal report / stats  ·   · 
    Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin shared a merged idea: Membership trends report  ·   · 

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Darren CrovitzDarren Crovitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. We have the same need: it would be nice to run membership reports that give us information about growth/change. Any movement on this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I'm trying to put a report together that will outline my retention and attrition rates year-on-year however this is complicated by the fact that not every member has the same renewal date or the same membership level. It would be most beneficial for a membership based organisation to know exactly how many members renewed in a specific time frame (say 12 months) and how many have left.

I hope WA is able to assist with this in the near future.

• RuthiRuthi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this as well, not just for information's sake but because we pay our parent organisation a fee based on how many active members we have on the 31st of March every year.

So far I haven't missed taking a screenshot on the day but...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a brilliant update, particularly when managing membership drives and when a Board is focussed on building membership.

• TorieTorie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! We have Honorary Lifetime members whose Renewal Due is "never." When the Board asked me how many members we had on a certain date, I searched on Renewal due on or after, but had to just count the Lifetime separately and add that to the total.

• Patrick MurphyPatrick Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to get a "snapshot" of membership statistics (such as the Member List/Summary table) at any given date in the past since joining WildApricot. This would be very helpful in such things as "how has membership grown since certain dates in the past, or after our last three conferences". Right now I have to manually remember each December to take a snapshot of our member stats, and this would only give a year-to-year comparison.

• docjohndocjohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone listening? This is a feature suggestion that's been asked for now for 5 YEARS and still no easy way to report on the very basics of membership:

- What is my organization's membership retention rate?

- How many 1 year members are renewing vs how many 5-year-old members are renewing? (e.g., are we losing newer members due to lack of engagement or such?)

- Let the report be organized by what's important to the organization: membership level, membership age

- Let the report be defined in user-chosen time periods:
        - Monthly
        - Quarterly
        - Annual
        - Since start of org/WildApricot
        - Custom time range

Please create this reporting option! Right now, I have to spend a long time running multiple custom queries to try and get this information from the system. It's a time-consuming and frustrating process.

Thank you.

• VirginiaVirginia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! I report monthly on our year-to-date retention. Currently, I have a excel file exported from our membership list. Once a month a manually check the list against those who have renewed to calculate our retention rate.

Sometimes I do it immediately, sometimes I save renewal notifications to admin, sometimes I search for the names in the db to see. I haven't yet found a system that consistently works well.

In my case, if the Membership Summary table had an additional column for "Renewed in Last" - 7 day / 30 days. I believe I would have all the quick data I need.

• Brandon LongleyBrandon Longley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality would be useful for our organisation to have. At the moment we have to export the saved search to an excel spreadsheet and format it into a word document. It would be nice to have Wild Apricot generate these reports similarly to how payments reports are created.

• SecretarySecretary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Point 2 above..."lapsed members that have not yet renewed" would be a particularly useful report around renewal time. We have many lapsed members that try to access services after their membership falls due for renewal. If this report could be set up to run automatically and sent to multiple email addresses at regular intervals (during the renewal season) it would be very helpful.

• docjohndocjohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following up with this, as I still don't see an easy way to get this statistic or report out of the current system.

For a nonprofit, boards want to know, "How many of our members are renewing?" It's a simple question. There's a big difference between "20%" and "80%."

1. You calculate it by looking at all the members in a specified time period, and see how many renewed versus how many let their membership lapse. If you have 100 members and your standard membership level is for one year, then if you run a one year report, you'll know how many of those members renewed in the past year.

3. Most of us use different membership levels. So I might want to report out each specific membership level's renewal rate. Are "Gold" members renewing at a lower rate than "Bronze" level members, for instance? (The labels are just arbitrary, just to give you an example.)

4. MailChimp does this and lets you know how your newsletter's open rates compare against the industry standard (the industry is chosen by the user, and there's only a dozen different industries to choose from). This is probably a harder stat to grab readily, so it's not nearly as important as #1.

And #1 is super important. Today I'm trying to compile this data, but it means going in and running multiple advanced searches on the membership database trying to find who's lapsed in the past year versus years past, etc. etc.

Thanks!

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for posting. This really helps as this provides us with some specific details.

Let me confirm, in #1 - how exactly would you want to calculate the renewal rate?

#3 - what do you mean by 'membership rate in different levels'?

#4 is a great idea - we have been thinking about this for a while - but have to be careful re privacy considerations.

• Anne_KAnne_K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, a report like this would be nice. I received a survey from Wild Apricot and one question asked to describe our membership growth pattern over the last year. My answer was my best guess because I don't have specific numbers. The only way I can think of to get exact numbers is to look at each member's renewal date, but I don't have that kind of time. It would be very helpful to have a report on the number of active members in each calendar year.

• ht2151ht2151 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this one. Currently I manually go in and check to see when the member renewed (After Reminder 1, 2, 3 or 4 was sent to them) and store this information in an Excel file. Adding another field where WA would automatically capture this info would be SUCH a time saver.

I could see the report columns as:
        - Transaction date
        - Transaction type (new, renewal, or lapsed)
        - If renewal, include the number of reminders they were sent

I also include a field for how they first heard about us, and how long they've been subscribed to our email newsletter before joining. That's specific to our organization, but if you could customize those columns that would be great.

• iantiant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't thought this one through yet as we are also not currently using the automatic renewal facility because of the lack of invoices.

Off the top of my head though we'd probably only be interested in basic data on a monthly basis, stuff like who renewed after 1st reminder or 2nd reminder etc. are not of great interest.

Regards,
        Ian
        worthing and adur chamber of commerce

• skipatskipat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to have Renewal reports on membership. I have not yet gone thru the renewal cycle yet with Wild Apricot, so may have more to add to this topic later this year. However did want to add that in addition to renewal rates by dates of the reminder notices, I would also like a final one for whatever date the report is run on. As a ski club, we have members who join late in the membership year to go on specific trips later in the season, and it might be long after the last reminder notice goes out, so I'd like to be sure to capture those renewals on the report also. Also would want to make sure there is a final renewal rate calculated for the entire membership base, regardless of date renewed.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Meagan,

We would love to get as much detail as possible - what kind of data exactly would you ideally like to see.

• MeaganMeagan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have NO idea how much we would love this feature. As it stands now We often have to come up with this exact data. I run reports and export total number of lapsed members in given time period , etc, and it takes a bit of massaging the data to come up wtih this info... You would make my life so much easier if it were done in WA.....

Could you consider adding to the report statistics how many people changed membership levels.... such as renewed at an individual level rather than maintaining membership at a business level.

• Josh HuntJosh Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see how many members I had as of, say, the first of the month for the last 12 months. Is my group growing?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7