Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Family/child memberships

We are providing a web site for our cub parents and scouts and scout parents and we find we have say 2 parents and their 2 children as 4 members, but the parents and children share a family address, the younger children do not have their own address nor do mothers or fathers want the children to have gmail addresses or things like that, so allowing multiple members with one email address would be an improvement for us. A username and password of their choosing preferable to one WA generate.

The situation also arrises where parents would like email to go to both the family email address and their personal email address, so our users are saying, our family need the ability to have multiple members with the same email address and individual members need to have multiple email addresses.

Messy but that is our real world. Less messy than multiple membership records for one real person and fake email addresses.

168 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anton Ferreira shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any feedback from the team on the development of multiple accounts that share one email address?

• Emma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to decide if fields such as postal address should be shared for a bundle or not seems like it would be a useful feature. I've just realised that when the bundle adminstrator of my two-adult family bundle updates their postal address it won't update the other member of the household! (Or am I missing something here?) I only want the bundle member to consist of name, email address and some other custom fields but some information has to be common between bundle admin and bundle member.

Basically, you should be able to decide on the fields that are common to bundles. It is currently just "Member id or email" but while this should remain the primary, being able to pick other common fields would be great.

• rasipley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization has a large number of 'joint memberships' for husband/wife members. To handle this in WA, we need to use 'bundles'. While this concept works, it's confusing to our members, challenging when adding members and almost impossible for bundle administrators to manage on their own - particularly if they are trying to restore their membership from archive after lapsing into past due status. I would like WA to recognize joint memberships and simplify event registration, membership additions, billing and overall membership management for these types of accounts.

• Walt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We dealt with this by using a dummy email address for the other members. For example, if fred@aol.com is the primary, then his email-less wife Jane could be fred+j@aol.com, and similarly for the kids. WA accepts this address.

Jane can log in, and can register for events, but of course can't get email.

I don't know if this would work, but possibly Jane and the kids could all have their secondary email address set to the family address. Their registration emails would bounce from the dummy address but go through to the family address.

Does this help?

• Carolyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real problem for us. I get around it using the bundle administrator, but it is so clunky and cumbersome for our parents. Many of them can't figure it out and make mistakes registering for events. I either have to register for them, or I have to go into the event and delete the registration so they can start over. We have almost 300 kids register for our events in about 2 days, so it really complicates my crunch time.

Please key the database off of a member number rather than the email address.

• Patsy Clew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We could really benefit from this. We currently count members as households, however, each adult in a family membership tends to have their own email address. Because Wild Apricot only supports one email address per individual, we need to set up separate records for family members and reconcile our number of members according to our accounting records (Quickbooks) to the number of members in Wild Apricot. Using bundles to designate a family makes this easier but it is certainly not perfect.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also consider married couples who use one email address - both parties are members but participate in different events and belong to different groups.

• Dale Koetke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Wild Apricot for a kids' athletic team. The requirement to have a different, unique email per child is a real bother for families with multiple children in the program. It would be easier for families if they could have a single account which maps to multiple members: log in once, and then they could pivot between members.

• Achmad Oskar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I would add in our case, that every member, either child or parents may have different membership level and its corresponding fees. So each counted as individual members. However, many of these children do not have email and access. So their parents needs to be able to login and manage on behalf of their children. This includes all aspects such as memberships, participation in events, attendes, etc.

• heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should have the ability to have duplicate login emails. We have been happy with this database and it has helped us extremely, however, we need you to solve this issue as it costs us a ton of manual labour.

• Diane Dias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When someone joins as a joint member, it only adds the one person. It is too convoluted once they are approved to ask the new member to go back into their profile to add the 2nd member. They should be able to add both simultaneously to save time and frustration.

• RobinEwald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a family based organization and allow both parents to use their own email address for login and communication purposes. Two family households with two email addresses are bundled for billing purposes but I can't seem to figure out how to combine the bundled memberships when exporting the membership list for the directory (prior to printing of the directory)

• membership commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because the bundle option doesn't work for our organization (we need an individual card and account per member), we would love to provide a 'family' option whereby two individual memberships can be purchased at the same time, by one person, for a discounted rate. All the usual common fields would be collected for EACH individual, this would not be a bundle.

• AdminTeam Membership (Membership features, Wild Apricot by Personify) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I understand, you meant membership registration, am I right?
        Now, it is impossible to create several members with the same email, for example from one family, and this is an issue.

If so, it could be part of this request http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932/suggestions/8826424

Katya, Astra crew
        Membership management features @ Wild Apricot​

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our organization, we have families who register their children for our program. The problem is that if they use their email address to register the first child, they cannot register the second child using the same email address. Can this be changed - allow people to register more than one member with the same address (or show us a work around)?

• Vickie Openshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow multiple emails in registrations. This is particularly important for family members. We have lapsed memberships because a family member creates a new contact when logging in under a different email and pays on that contact, leaving the original membership still lapsed.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base