Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Website statistics

It would be great if I could gather statistics on what our members do on the website! How many visitors per month, what pages they visit, how long they spend, where they abandon the site, etc.

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Randall Rensch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correction: Below, I forgot about sites I managed for several clients. Make that "... for several websites." And to the Wishlist, please add "enable editing our wishes." :-)

• Randall Rensch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have set up Google Analytics for two websites, one of them my own. I wouldn't wish it on anybody short of a dedicated webmaster. Google is notorious for its poor usability -- like driving in certain East Coast cities, it's impossible to tell where you are unless you've already been there. I've used various state reporting systems, dating back to WebTrends (which I loved).

Also, Google does not provide all the statistics mentioned in the wish. Or if it does, they're not all clearly visible and recognizable, in one place.

But most importantly, Google and virtually all other affordable or free reporting systems do not provide for excluding admin visits. If you're Lands' End or Proctor and Gamble, our own visits are statistically insignificant. But in a small organization's traffic, admin visits (including site editing, testing, and simple visits) grossly skew the stats.

WA provides a Help page on setting up Analytics. If there is any advice on how to make those statistics actually meaningful, I don't recall seeing it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base