Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Do not allow event registrations for members in pending status (e.g. pending new, renewal)

I know we can now create a registration type for an event and set prices and other information based on the Membership level. It would be nice if we could do the same for Membership status (Active, Lapsed, Pending, etc.) as well.

Thank you.

Telly

20 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TellyTelly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AudreyAudrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heartily agree that members who have not yet paid renewals should be excluded from registering for members-only events. We also have this problem every year: our annual renewals are due August 1. We hold a big annual member event in mid-September and require that members pay renewal before attending. It's a pain to have to track manually.

• Mike GunnMike Gunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same problem. It seems to me that it would be a quite simple fix.

If membership, new or renewal, is pending. They can't access whatever membership benefits there are.

Right now, all you can do is set it so that all new memberships must be approved by an admin. That means during heavy event registration times someone has to be checking for new pending members all the time.

• TeriTeri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assumed that by activating the setting, "Payment has to be received in full before membership is activated" that people who hadn't paid yet wouldn't qualify as members in members-only event registration types. However, they are! What does this setting do then? What does it mean for a member to be activated? I want it to mean that they don't get to be a member yet and have the benefits of membership - including members-only event registration!

• gabeesecretarygabeesecretary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had several people apply for membership, not pay the invoice, register for the event as a member and pay for the event as a member. They came to the event and never paid their dues. I now have it set that admin has to approve membership and they have to pay before membership is activated - therefore they can't register without paying dues first, but it's a pain to keep up with the approvals so I wish the program would work on this.

• EugeneEugene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every year I have this same problem. People initiate renewal, register for a member only event and then turn up at the event without completing payment. So I agree completely with this suggestion.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I do not want people who haven't paid for membership having access to member benefits! I have to go through event registrations and individually email them their membership invoices, check whether they pay and cancel their event registrations if not, etc.

Could the event registration have a pending status tied to the membership status?

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

System suggest to process membership in first and generates invoice for that, then he can continue with event registration, generate another invoice and then pay for both invoices with a single payment transaction.

This is what I call not clear for end user and we need to simplify it somehow in future.

• betsyjmpbetsyjmp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My site does not appear to be functioning this way - pending members who are registering for an event seem to have to pay first for the membership - I want it bundled in one invoice. Is there a setting for this?

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've received similar request from our support and found same related thread in our other forum - http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308929-general-discussion-and-questions/suggestions/8825068-new-membership-pending

Quoting: "For reasons no one can explain, a member who initiates renewal but does not complete the payment (which puts them in Pending-Renew state) can register for member-only event. This creates problems for us, since they receive the event registration confirmation e-mail and show up at the event."

As I explained int this thread earlier, this kind of "by design" behaviour to support scenario, when a member applies for membership (or renews it), registers for event and pays in a single transaction.

No I see that it's not the best solution and we have to improve it. So I will be collecting comments here to prioritize it higher and add into our Product Roadmap http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Product+roadmap

Lapsed is not considered as a Member, so they will have same access as any other public visitor. Pending does have access, but this is mostly to support the following scenario: a visitor starts registering for an event, sees that a registration type is for members only, uses special suggested button to proceed to membership application, completes it and becomes Pending new member, then returns back to event registration, completes it as a member now and then pays for both invoices.

What is your need in the setup you suggested (per status)? Can you please provide some examples?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7