Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Free trial period for membership

I would like to offer a free trial access period for all payment levels. Rather like Wild Apricot does, but not necessarily for 30 days. Paypal offer this delayed action payment and it works very well. You can choose how long the free trial period is, and then the payment automatically kicks in.

Asking people for money upfront puts a lot of people off.

44 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter HobdayPeter Hobday shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    bdastephbdasteph shared a merged idea: new membership incentive  ·   · 
    Josh HuntJosh Hunt shared a merged idea: free trial  ·   · 
    Sam HandelmanSam Handelman shared a merged idea: One Day Membership  ·   · 
    AriAri shared a merged idea: Trial Membership  ·   · 
    WildApricot UserWildApricot User shared a merged idea: Trial Memberships  ·   · 
    WildApricot UserWildApricot User shared a merged idea: Trial membership offers  ·   · 

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bdastephbdasteph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to drive members for a brand new membership site. I want to be able to offer them access to the website for the month. I plan to have a draw in a few weeks, for those who sign up during this time, will be entered for a chance to win their membership free for 1 year. How can I set up the back end to recognize new members as they register, but delay their payment for the remainder of the month.
        I hope I'm clear on this. Assistance would be much appreciated.

• Cindy CooperCindy Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We offer a free trial by attending 2 events before becoming a member. would like that as a free trial offer too, rather than only number of days.
        Currently use honor system, ha.

• Josh HuntJosh Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to provide people a way to do a free trial. You provide it for your customers; I would like to provide it to mine.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current 30 day with no payment would be good with just a couple of adjustments.

1. If the Renewal Period - Never had the same email options as the other options. This would give members notice to select another option, automatically cut them off if they didn't and not allow them to renew the free trial period. This is the main feature which I would find helpful and might be the easiest to enact since the email system is already setup.

2. On this same option to add an the ability to type in a number of days or give buttons for shorter time periods i.e. 1 week or 2 week.

Thank You

• Sam HandelmanSam Handelman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to motivate people to be full annual members. 30 day membership gives people an alternative to full membership, that we would rather not offer. 30 day membership also adds administrative overhead that a one day membership would not. For example, we have annual liability insurance (cycling club), based on annual membership. A 1-month membership upsets the payment of insurance based on membership. Also the liability waiver would be more difficult to manage in the field.

• Sam HandelmanSam Handelman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have many visitors to our area that would like to join our club for one day vs annually. We would offer a lower price for 1-day members. Currently the only way we think we can do this is to offer the minimum WA membership period - 1 month - then manually go in and remove their membership on day 2.

• LLLL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same issue as Barefootgal, and would like to offer a discounted membership for one year only.

• BarefootgalBarefootgal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related to this, I would like a limited term membership for another reason... Say we have a "new attorney" (or new doctor or new whatever your members are for the first year after they graduate) rate. After one year, I'd like to force them to renew at the regular rate. They can only be a new whatever for one year.

• Reginald GrigsbyReginald Grigsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A delayed action free trial is a proven way to increase the number of sign-ups for a website. Memberships shoot up! Most people want to try something out before they buy or subscribe to it. It is the #1 way to revenue for subscription websites. Try it before you buy it!!!! Wild Apricot get on board with this. It has been too long. The #1 reason more people have not voted for it, is the same reason that most don't leave positive reviews online. It is just a hassle so why take the time..Same concept applies. Matter of fact, the feature request section is not easily found, nor do members have time to locate it..

• Josh HuntJosh Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to offer free trials as well.

Alternatively, is there a way to offer a .99 trial period. I want them to NOT be able to renew that, but change to another level if they choose.

• ddeanddean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

possibly in the shorter term you could add a "non-renewable" attribute to membership types. then you'd be able to approximate a trial membership by creating a level named "Trial" which is free, non-renewable, and has a list of the levels that can be moved to upon expiration. this would prevent the member from renewing the trial membership and could steer them to renew at a paying level

• Fluid ApricotFluid Apricot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do have it in our future plans to integrate and automate trial memberships, but we have a lot of other pressing issues to attend to first. The only workaround for now is to create a free 'Trial' membership level, put all new members in this level, and then manually track and change member level / status when the trial period ends. In our upcoming release 2.34 (end of June) members would also be able to change from one membership level to any other allowable level.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bradley, right now if you setup free membership with a certain duration, they can renew on their own.

We do not have a good solution for trial memberships, this is something yet to be worked out.

• hogangrouphogangroup commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What will happen when a free membership comes to renewal? If they renew on their own, do they go back into Active status or to Pending? It seems to me that someone could string a lot of free trials along that way. It would be great if you Apricots came up with a trial option of n days that could be checked for any membership level. Thanks Apricots!

Bradley H. Spurr

Hogan Group

• anonymous_69.158.180.26anonymous_69.158.180.26 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, there is a way.
        You can create a free membership level. See: http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Member+levels
        Any member in free membership level will be able to upgrade to any paid level. See: https://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Member+-+renew+or+change+level
        Any cancellation will be processed according to the renewal policy. See: https://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Membership+renewal+settings

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7