Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Email Preferences on Contact or Membership form - e.g. to support CASL (Canadian Anti Spam Law)

Can I include the email preferences on the Contact or Member and/or Event form? I want people to able to set these options when they sign up.

As I understand it, when someone new signs up for an event, a contact record is created and the email preferences in that record are automatically enabled--without the person's knowledge. The person can later go in an changes these settings and/or unsubscribe.

However, when they register for an event, I would like to give them the choice to opt-in to receiving emails blast, rather than have email preferences turned on by default, and the person having to come back, login and explicitly change their email settings and/or unsubscribe.

How can I accomplish this?

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Inge ZegelInge Zegel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    PaulPaul shared a merged idea: Offer an opt-in for the mailing list  ·   · 

As required by new Canadian anti-spam law (CASL) we have prepared an update for Wild Apricot to comply with it. Here’s a preview of planned changes

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Cj2Xej9C63a9LnEG26gAe0bpDRWxHs_3B488AdrcAKs/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000
    No information on release time yet, but you can always track our current progress in Roadmap http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Product+roadmap . Feel free to post your comments/ideas in current thread.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to add that this is not just about the Canadian law, but is just the standard across the web. I don't know of any site that signs you up for a mailing list without a consent checkbox--except Wild Apricot sites.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any form by which a contact enters themselves into the database for the first time should have an opt-in checkbox for email preferences. (Actually, two--one for newsletters and one for event reminders.)

Otherwise they simply get added to our mailing list once they've given us their email address for any reason. But they have never given consent to be on our mailing list.

• OlegOleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As required by new Canadian anti-spam law (CASL) we have prepared an update for Wild Apricot to comply with it. Here’s a preview of planned changes

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Cj2Xej9C63a9LnEG26gAe0bpDRWxHs_3B488AdrcAKs/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000
        No information on release time yet, but you can always track our current progress in Roadmap http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Product+roadmap . Feel free to post your comments/ideas in current thread.

• Reverend CraigReverend Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, just thought I would throw in a quick request related to this. I see that we can have different "subscription sources" for members to subscribe to (like Newsletters or Updates), but they are not allowed to unsubscribe from these sources separately - there's just the scorched earth "Unsubscribe all manual email blasts" option. So 2 things, I guess:

1) Could there be a system page we could direct link to, or better yet a gadget we could insert, that would let the user check or uncheck from all types of email, and

2) Could we be allowed to adjust the wording on that widget to put in notes explaining what exactly each type is? I mean, would you sign up for "Manual Email Blasts?" Sounds painful... :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7