Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Only complete registration once payment is received and make it clear payment is required in the end

I have two sites that I have just created and thought before hand (Prior to last update) that I tried the registration process. I recall being able to turn off manual or offline payments which in turn would only complete event registrations only if an online payment was received.

Now that I have built these two sites and see that "invoices" are being created and people are regsitering without paying online, it is creating a major problem and adding a tremendous burden on our businesses in multiple ways.

1. A bunch of our events have limited registration so when people register without paying, It is closing our events to participants that have no financial committement yet to us, which causes issues trying to receive those payments before the scheduled events.

2. Most of our event participants are not members of our site, and one of our sites we have even used css customization to completely take out the username/password box so when people register for events and don't pay they don't have anyway to do so in the future except the one email they get afterwards showing they have an invoice.

3. A lot of our events are online so we don't physically see the participant. This goes along with the first point in trying to collect payments prior to the event starting and the pain that goes along in trying to collect registration fees from a registered guest.

I don't understand how this is not a larger issue with other sites. For example:

Dinner Events - Multiple guests can register for the event that didn't pay, not show up and the business is out money.

Bracketed Events - We are running a sports tournament that have a max of 16 competitors in each division. The winner of the division gets a paid trip to the world championships. If competitors register and don't pay and don't show up, we are out of the money and have to pay out of pocket for the competitor in that division to go to the world championships.

Online Events - I started a fantasy sports site where each event consists of 10 teams that have a specific online draft date. The winners get the prize money. If a team registers but doesn't pay, then we have to pay winners out of pocket.

I understand invoices are created and we can send them ourselves and spend time trying to collect payments afterwards. However this is very time consuming and risky. If there is a way to limit registrations to only participants that already paid online then I would be extremely grateful if someone would be able to explain it to me. If not, is there anything in the works to fix this issue.

Through creating the site I have used WA support and it has been very helpful...except when I called about this specific issue which the lady was pretty rude. I just want to say thanks for the help so far and I apologize for how large this post got. I just need to find a solution for this issue prior to moving forward with the businesses I am working for/with.

52 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SlickwixelSlickwixel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SusanSusan shared a merged idea: Event Registration: We suggest that the color of the 'Confirm' button on the last 'Review and Confirm' be changed to RED.  ·   · 
    Nicole ChappellNicole Chappell shared a merged idea: Required payment upon registering for an event  ·   · 

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SusanSusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to change the color -- maybe to RED -- of the 'Confirm' button on the last 'Review and Confirm' page of an event registration.

Or, maybe putting a message at the top of the page: 'Don't forget to click on 'Confirm' to finalize your registration.'

We have an issue with our members forgetting to click 'Confirm'.

• Walt BilofskyWalt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important - really should be a bug fix, not a feature - but let's think about it a bit.

We only require prepayment online when an event really needs it. However, our members have figured out that they can reserve and then drop out of PayPal, and more and more of them are doing it - about 25% on the most recent event.

This creates work for the volunteer event organizer to chase them down, and then for the treasurer to clear the invoices after the event. So we need this feature.

But think about it: If 25% don't pay online, how many of those would we lose if we enforced payment? Some of them the event organizer might be willing to allow to pay at the door, or to mail her a check.

So here's what I suggest:

If a registrant doesn't complete payment, send an email to the event organizer with a link they can click to approve the registration and leave the invoice open, and another link they can click to cancel the registration. If they don't do either, then the default happens - automatic cancellation within X hours, or by the registration deadline, if the invoice remains unpaid.

Also send an automatic email to the registrant explaining that they are not registered yet, telling them the situation, and providing a link for them to contact the event organizer if they need to make special arrangements.

This makes the organizer's life easier while leaving them the flexibility to deal with each case and make exceptions on a case by case basis.

• Nicole ChappellNicole Chappell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you register for an event if payment is not completed within 24 hours that registration is automatically deleted from the system.

We are having individuals that are registering for events and never pay. It would make the admin's life a little easier if that process was automated.

• Cindy BruceCindy Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this needs to be added! I just made one of our events "live" and already, the first person that has registered, did not pay and they are an exhibitor reserving 2 tables to exhibit at our convention. He filled out the form, submitted it but didn't pay online like we have it set up for. He was sent an invoice by WA and I have sent him 3 emails telling him his tables can not be reserved until payment is made. I haven't heard back. We will be having over 500 attendees for this annual convention with different applications. This is our first time using WA and I'm extremely nervous that this can be a potential nightmare.

• Riley JacksonRiley Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the issue and agree with the concept, but options are needed. Someone who registers but wants to send a check in the mail should be able to keep his place in the event queue unless his payment is not received by a certain time. At least that's the way I need it to work.

• Bob VinsonBob Vinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Issuing an invoice and waiting for payment is a major accounting inconvenience for us. Would rather that payment be forced online before registration is booked eliminating us having to chase after attendees who have registered but not paid the invoice.

• Jim D.Jim D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major issue with my organization as well. We have several events with a limited capacity and have to monitor who has paid for the event, not just who registered for it.

• secretariatsecretariat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the above strongly, it causes ongoing problems for us, is there any update on when this feature may be added?

• Paul DortkampPaul Dortkamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am an admin of a car club and we have social events where about 10% of people register without paying. We then book and pay for places at a restaurant and then get no shows, so we loose on the social event. I know we could chase people up but we are volunteers and it is difficult to ring people up and argue with them to pay or we will cancel their reservation. it would be good to have time out on registration without payment. We do not accept payment on the day only PayPal with registration.

• Walt BilofskyWalt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just getting our club online and realized that we need this. Glad it's scheduled.

How about letting the admin set the time limit, instead of hardwiring 15 minutes? Someone goes through the registration process, then realizes he needs to check with his spouse. Maybe we want to let him hold the place for an hour, or a day.

• natashaalexnatashaalex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really excited to find Wild Apricot, went through the whole procedure of setting up my event and pricing etc. Then I test ran the process and found that clients can register for my event without paying. At the same time, the number of tickets reduces showing future customers an incorrect number of tickets left.

This simply doesn't work for me, sorely disappointed and really hope this can be changed soon as I think WA is a really good system and would love to use it.

At the very least, it would help that the ticket number doesn't reduce until they've paid, so at least the customer is aware their place may be bought by someone else until they pay.

• natashaalexnatashaalex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your post - I was excited to sign up to Wild Apricot thinking it was going to be the answer to my registration problem - but as people can claim a space within my event without paying, and I have limited seats, it just doesn't work for me. Until this feature is added, I don't think using Wild Apricot is going to be feasible.

• OlegOleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have finished analysis of this problem and you can review planned changes in the presentation below.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1l9EXcK6HcKCbhKmufuHx_vFJZYdXbfG5lADMB8uh2jw/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

Briefly speaking, we plan to introduce payment methods options http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825797-different-payment-options-for-events-membership individually for each event and membership level. So any event limited to online-only payments will require registrant to pay at once to confirm registration

Now issue is in development queue and you can always check current status in our roadmap http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Product+roadmap . Feel free to add your comments and suggestions to the forum thread.

Related wishlist threads:

Reduce number of emails and optimize per-payment method http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8826745-reduce-the-number-of-emails-and-optimize-per-payme Ability to set different payment options for different events and membership http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825797-different-payment-options-for-events-membership

• lormorlormor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So an unpaid registration would not be considered confirmed (and not counted toward the official number of registrants) until payment is received -- it is pending, subject to cancellation, until paid.

Yes, this would be perfect and very helpful, indeed, but I would ask for it to be an option, not a requirement for all events.

I love that WA keeps track of partially completed registrations.That is also very helpful and I wouldn't want to lose that. But it would be very helpful if they didn't count toward the official number of registrants until payment was received, either online or offline (by check), or until an admin marked it complete but unpaid or partially paid. We would like to have that option because sometimes we have members on payment plans, and it wouldn't always work for us to require an invoice for an event to be paid in full before the member would be considered registered. So there would need to be a way for admins to mark a registration complete, and have it count toward the registration numbers, with our without full payment having been made.

• Scene13Scene13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an issue for us, as well.

We are a theatre organization that uses the event registration functionality to accept registrations for writing classes, most of which have registration limits of about 10 students. Consequently, if even one person registers without paying, that registration takes up 10% of the available slots.

Yes, we can monitor it manually, but it's a hassle to do so because we offer up to 10-15 separate classes each quarter.

We strongly support an option that would prevent the registration from being counted against the registration limit until it was paid in full.

• Kerrie-AnneKerrie-Anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of my biggest bug-bears as well - as a solo effort, I'd really prefer not to have to chase people up for payment to confirm if they are coming or not when, in most cases, they just changed their minds when it got to actually having to make a payment.

Trouble is, when these people are not members, they also take up space in your contacts list and yes, they can be archived, but that's another process that takes up yet more time

• grahamgardinergrahamgardiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this feature is urgently necessary for us.

We have a number of people who book tickets and not pay. Then don't turn up.

This means we are not selling as much as we could be and turning down paying people.

Can this change.

Graham

• Kim SkimmonsKim Skimmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless I'm misreading what you wrote, this thread is about having the option to not count someone as registered until payment is received in full. The reason is that event registrations are getting filled up with unpaid people who then often don't show up.

The other thread (http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825797-different-payment-options-for-events-membership ) is about being able to specify whether you accept online or manual payments or both for individual events, which may be different from the types of payments you accept for memberships or even for other events. The reason for this seems to be that sometimes people want to do only online payments for certain events whereas they are willing to accept online and manual payments for things like memberships or less time-critical events.

Maybe I misunderstood you...

Kim

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7