Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Simplify contacts and saved searches - easy rename or update searches, combine Contacts and Members tabs

would like option to rename: sometimes after you've done a search you realize that a different name would be better or you make a minor change to the query.

45 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Toni TroopToni Troop shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Randall RenschRandall Rensch shared a merged idea: Allow renaming searches, do not allow duplicate names  ·   · 
    Shelley ShirleyShelley Shirley shared a merged idea: Better Search Member/Contact Feature  ·   · 

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Randall RenschRandall Rensch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be able to rename a saved Advanced Search. Lacking that ability, I saved the tweaked search to the same name, figuring WA would ask me if I wanted to overwrite it and I would say "yes." WA did nothing of the sort -- it just saved the tweaked search as a new search having a duplicate name -- so now I have two identically named searches, one erroneously finding 700+ members of various kinds, the other more accurately finding 225 members of any status and type. I will delete the former, but shouldn't have to.

• Team HuskyAdminTeam Husky (Email features, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are "Husky" development team at Wild Apricot named, responsible for emailing area of the product.

We've already made big improvements to our emailing workflow which will be our next release. But to move further we need your help.

If you’re willing to help us, please follow the link below and answer a few questions.

https://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932/suggestions/15423798

We're looking forward to reading your feedback.

Lily, Husky Team at Wild Apricot
        Emailing development crew.

• LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with combining the Contact and Member tabs. We track many people that are not members of ours - local company contacts, government contacts, other association contacts, etc. - and in order to group them, we had to create a Member Level called Non-Member Contact, and then create Member Groups to sort them into. This is really confusing for our admins, but is the only way I can see to get that extra functionality for these contacts. Splitting the fields and the saved searches between contacts and members only further complicates matters, as admins may unwittingly end up in the wrong place. If you navigate from the Member List to an individual account, it automatically switches you to the Contact tab in the main menu (even while on the Membership tab in the user's individual account), making it confusing to get back to the Member List. Ideally, a Contact should simply be a lowest-permission, $0, endless-until-changed "Member Level." Then the Contact and Member tabs could be merged. People in the specific Member Level of "Contact" would not count toward the total number of members for WA billing purposes.

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I look into all this problems together, I see that we have to simplify our contacts and members lists management, including saved searches. Some time ago we created a quick prototype of the new concept (see below). Key idea is that any saved search can be considered as a group of contacts/members and have to have a quick access to. We actually applied this model in our mobile app - start screen for Contacts show list of all saved searches, groups and levels together, so it's very easy for admin to get into any specific list.

We believe that saved search (aka smart lists) are very powerful way of looking into your contacts, and it should be very easy to use it. We're receiving a number of complains about our search functionality and I believe that what quickly prototyped back then can be a huge improvement over current user interface.

Any comments?

• Bob OswaldBob Oswald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Help says you can rename a search by just using the same name. As others indicate, it creates a duplicate. If you delete the old one, you break the links on webpages that use it. Very, very annoying. When I change a search, I have to also edit the page(s) that use it.

• RobinRobin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[quote user="stevefoobar"]There is currently no way to edit a saved search or even overwrite an existing search with a new version. One must open the existing search, save it (as a new search) then delete the old search of the same name.
        [/quote]

Support this - it is a pain to go through the steps to replace a current search with an updated search of the same name.

Also duplicate search names should not be allowed.

• jlcsjlcs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to the ability to select a custom layout on the Advanced Search Screen. Currently, you can only choose your custom layout on the saved searches. On the Advanced Search Screen, it shows the layout method as default, but does not allow you to change it from the default layout.

• Wayne KesslerWayne Kessler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a fan of the idea of redesigning the saved search function. We have saved searches for 67 county pages of members, and recently we decided to add another parameter to the search. Really didn't want to have to create 67 NEW saved searches and then incorporate them into the 67 pages, but apparently that's what I have to do.

• LeeLee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using saved searches in the site that I am building. I am creating a directory and need the data of a particular county to display for that county. So, I am using a saved search of the service providers in that county. But as I have new members to that county, I have to create another search in order to update the list. I would like to just click a button to upgrade the saved search and it automatically saves under that same name. That way, there won't be as much work in refreshing the saved search and the list of counties won't run the risk of being confused between an old list and a new list that may have the same name.

• Steve VeachSteve Veach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Add Search Criteria user interface in the Contacts Advanced Search is nicely organized by category and is a wide dialogue box.

The Add Search Criteria user interface in the Member Advanced Search is not organized, and is a narrow linear list of fields.

They should have the same interface.

There is currently no way to edit a saved search or even overwrite an existing search with a new version. One must open the existing search, save it (as a new search) then delete the old search of the same name.

Our admins find it very confusing and error prone to have two separately distinct sets of saved searches for Contacts and Members. There should be only one set of saved searches and they should apply to either (both) Contacts and Members.

Our admins find the separation of Contacts and Members to be confusing and non-intuitive. Most other databases we have used would have integrated these into a single database, a single user interface and a single set of menus and simply distinguished the difference some other way. One way would be to have a check box in every Contact that states whether this Contact is a Member or not for example and if so, the Member fields would apply.

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, you can run the search and save it again with a new name then delete old one. But I understand the inconvenience you mentioned - this would be a nice little addition. Unfortunately, I see no real chanced for that in the nearest future.

I'm more inclined into redesigning of the whole saved search function behavior - make it simpler and quicker to use, especially to run already saved searches. Allow to use such searches everywhere (i.e. as email recipients list or in event notifications). But this is something even more unlikely to be implemented in the nearest future :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7