Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Managing email subscriptions to forum updates

Current behavior:
Members can subscribe to receive updates about forum posts by email - by going to the forum and clicking on a subscription link in that forum or topic
However, there is no way for administrator to view their subscription status or change it.
If administrator wants to subscribe them manually, the only way is to log in under member's profile (so he has to know the password) and subscribe to forums as if he is this member - very crude workaround.
Admin can only remove subscriptions from member records.

Desired behavior:
- Allow administrator to subscribe member(s) to one or more forums and edit subscription options in member record (subscribe and unsubscribe)
- Add forum subscription to the membership application page, including default subscription settings

90 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Katya, Funny ApricotKatya, Funny Apricot shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Barbara StofastBarbara Stofast shared a merged idea: Forums: default members to be 'subscribed', control update frequency  ·   · 
    JAT2JAT2 shared a merged idea: Forum Subscription  ·   · 
    JAT2JAT2 shared a merged idea: Forum Subscription  ·   · 
    Aidan SheridanAidan Sheridan shared a merged idea: Link group participation to forum subscription  ·   · 

75 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mary AdamsMary Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like your proposal. This almost kept us from buying Wild Apricot last year. I had advocated for something like this in the past.

Our members are using the forums more and more. They're always calling our admins and asking how to attach a doc or image. This functionality will help drive even more participation!

I agree that it's past time!

• David HartDavid Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be willing to chip in $100 to help move this up in the development cycle. Maybe ping the other people in the forum and see who else feel this is important enough and would do the same. This feature would be very high value to my members.

• David HartDavid Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an awesome feature for my members and high value. Please consider adding this.

• Soheil R-ZamirSoheil R-Zamir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to echo Aidan Sheridan's sentiment. Well said! It is high time, after two years of discussion, for the features to be implemented. This design is exactly what we need. Our bicycle club is most interested in “IMMEDIATELY” option in particular. Please put it on the Roadmap to happen NOW!

• Aidan SheridanAidan Sheridan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been on your roadmap for years and you keep pushing it back despite the fact a significant number of people have been asking for it. Your google doc presentation that you linked to above is from 2014, yet you still don't have this implemented. Since that time you have increased user fees. Enough is enough. Get this feature added.

• Barbara StofastBarbara Stofast commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem 1: Forum subscriptions are currently on a 'pull' bases. Each member has to visit a subscription and then subscribe.
        Problem 2: Where the nature of the forum dictates that updates should be immediate, admin must hope that users make the right choice
        Solution:
        FORUM OPTIONS: When a forum is created, add two options: 1. Subscribe members by default -- add the usual options limiting this to all members, or member groups ... 2. Member update options: immediate, daily, weekly. (only allow members to choose from those selected, where one is selected, the user has no options, the selected setting is the default)

Members can still unsubscribe.

• JAT2JAT2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When members register they are automatically subscribed to the Forum program so they can receive notifications of any new post. If they decide that they do not want to receive the notifications then they can unsubscribe.

• Jean HowellJean Howell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would simply would like to be able to see a list of who / how many have subscribed to the Forum.

• Walt BilofskyWalt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to default subscriptions, the admin should also be able to specify default notification frequency. As is, everything defaults to daily which is not always the best choice.

The Forum gadget should have settings for the default notification frequency (immediate, daily, weekly) for subscriptions to (a) the forum and (b) individual posts.

The Member profile will need four : immediate, daily, weekly and default. It would initially always be "default", so that changing the forum default would change any subscribed member unless they had selected something else.

I mentioned this in the Wishlist thread https://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825587-listserv-i-e-ability-to-submit-forum-posts-by-ema . But these two are related and the design for one should accommodate the other.

• Connor FinniganConnor Finnigan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to this!! Those slides looks amazing and got me really excited. This will be a game changer for our organization and all Wild Apricot customers.

• Aidan SheridanAidan Sheridan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Connect specific member groups to specific forums, so when someone chooses a member group to participate in, they are automatically subscribed to the associated forum for that group (see ticket #3C2-1CA85391-044E).

• LucyLucy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ETA on this? I thought this was on the roadmap for 2015... but I don't see it. please, please, pretty please? membership on our organization is alive with the listserv feature, but is not so active with the Forums...

• Alumni GroupAlumni Group commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The design looks great - just what we need!

But, I'm disappointed not to see this on the roadmap for Dec. or Q1. Forums are pretty much lifeless without this feature. Please put it onto the roadmap as soon as possible. thanks!

• Walt BilofskyWalt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this feature is going to be part of the implementation of listserv functionality,* the admin should be able to set protection for subscription to a particular forum the same as for common contact fields: admin access only vs. contact can change.

In other words, the admin should be able to set whether the user can subscribe or unsubscribe to the forum.

* - See http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825587-ability-to-submit-forum-posts-by-email-to-use-fo?tracking_code=bc5e20d637891a00e0fffa8bc0a597b0 .

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7