Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Managing email subscriptions to forum updates

Current behavior:
Members can subscribe to receive updates about forum posts by email - by going to the forum and clicking on a subscription link in that forum or topic
However, there is no way for administrator to view their subscription status or change it.
If administrator wants to subscribe them manually, the only way is to log in under member's profile (so he has to know the password) and subscribe to forums as if he is this member - very crude workaround.
Admin can only remove subscriptions from member records.

Desired behavior:
- Allow administrator to subscribe member(s) to one or more forums and edit subscription options in member record (subscribe and unsubscribe)
- Add forum subscription to the membership application page, including default subscription settings

143 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminKatya Tyukina (Product Owner, Wild Apricot by Personify) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

108 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote to include Forum subscription fields in the database import and export function for analysis purposes, as others on this thread have suggested.

Also to set them. We have a Board Forum, it would be nice to be able to offload the Board group annually to set the subscriptions.

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone been able to think of a workaround for this?
        I'm thinking of using the subscription source tool and subscribing members to the category relevant to them, then copying/pasting what's already in the forum topic to email those subscription sources. This is the only way I can think of it, and it is a lot more work, so I was wondering what other work arounds people have come up with. Even an external forum that shows up on the same page?

• Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A viable interim solution would be to include the forum subscription data in the data export options just as the following is already included:

Subscribed to emails
        Subscription source
        Opted in
        Event announcements
        Member emails and newsletters

Then also allow the modified data to be imported back in again.

This would allow the administrator to do bulk updates for members as new forums are added. The user could of course unsubscribe if they wished

• Karl-NCIA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I miss the roadmap too... waiting for this had my boss this year looking for a new AMS, I am totally against it but I will be outnumbered upon our next renewal.

• Walt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There used to be a roadmap that was updated periodically. Could that be revived?

And then anything not on the roadmap would be "This is not in our plans right now."

It would need to be understood that a roadmap is a snapshot, not a promise, and things may move down as well as up.

• AdminEvgeny Zaritovskiy (Product Manager, Wild Apricot by Personify) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Walt - thanks)

Robin - if something is in wishlist, then it's just waiting its turn to get attention from a product management team (me and smoother folks). So far, this has been postponed; no further details that I can provide, including forecasts.

Re "post a WA response within say a week", "For all open wishes – post a status update say every month or 3 weeks". Personally, I see no point in saying same thing over and over again - "this is not in our plans and I have details on future plans". As soon as something gets into analysis, we change status in "Work in progress" and this is the biggest notification we can make.

We're monitoring all the comments for all threads, but not always comment back. Most of comments just add more details into existing items and this helps us with prioritization for the future. Basically, more votes - higher chances for it to be prioritized, but this is not promised, as we have internal business plans as well and a lot of background activities that require resources.

Frankly, I believe with the number of overall suggestions on the wishlist, we're doing pretty good: we collect feedback, we make reasonable progress with it, we communicate. Can be better, I agree, but overall I feel quite good on how we manage the forum here.

Totally agree that there are many good ideas on the wish list forum on many different topics. Fully understand that WA only has so many resources and that all this stuff takes time, effort and $$.

However it should also be noted that many of the comments posted to the wishes are just a request for a status.

These status requests are for any/all of the following reasons:

1. Original suggestion was created by WA ages ago
        2. Proposed design (as in this case) posted by WA ages ago
        3. Just flat out no responses ever posted by WA

Personally I always feel that updates to these items just go into a great big black hole. Hopefully I am wrong on that but when you never (seldom) see any responses or updates from WA ???

I would really like to see that the folks at WA do the following:

For any wish that has had any update from a customer since the last WA update to the wish - post a WA response within say a week.

For all open wishes - post a status update say every month or 3 weeks.

Yes this does require some additional work (and resources) for WA, but on the other hand it keeps us the users (those who provide the $$$ and make decisions about staying with WA or looking/moving to other products) actually feel that WA does take note of our wishes and that some of our wishes that could effect our decisions are being noticed.

Ideally we also start to see some possible time lines to implementation of the wishes.

Understanding fully of course that sometimes plans and timings can change for all sorts of circumstances.

There are a lot of good ideas out there, and they can't do everything.

I count 13 Wishlist items with more votes than this one. And there are some with fewer votes that probably have more impact.

It's frustrating when we want to run our organization better but need a new feature to do that. All I can say is that our club looks better and runs smoother with less work since we got on Wild Apricot. I'm not happy waiting for new features but it's part of the package.

Proposed design was posted over 2 years ago. When is it likely to be implemented?

Wonder if anyone from the WA team actually reads these posts and will respond.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When members join a group that has an associated forum, it would be ideal if they were auto-subscribed to the forum.

• Daniel S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to automatically enable forum subscriptions when members join a forum? It's too easy to miss replies and new content right now.

We now have another need for this feature.

Up until now, our administrative group could communicate with our club just by sending an email to our (non-WA) mailing list. But that is becoming unusable due to more stringent email validation practices.

Trying to get them to use the WA email system will be difficult. It is a multi-step process. The UI, particularly the text editing, is quirky. They don't need all the formatting - they just want to send an email.

If we could subscribe all our members to a forum, we could give our administrative group access to the forum page. This would give them a much simpler UI for just sending out a message.

No one will actually read this forum - it will just be a vehicle for sending emails to our club.

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to make subscribing to forums as easy as possible to our members. If there was a default subscription for members option, that would be extremely useful. At least some way to assist members in signing up for forums. The less work they do, the more likely they will return.

Please, please, please add this function. We have less than a third of our base subscribed to forum updates as people just forget to do it and our members are missing essential community news as a result.

• Russell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It feels like you are so close to allowing this option? Any news on the proposed release?

• Jim Biram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Allow for admin setup to default to subscribed to all as an option.
        2. Allow the forum system to interface with Tapatalk, or build forum access into the new member app.
        3. Allow admin to global change notification settings for forum updates.

What is the update on this? Will admin be able to subscribe members to forums in the near future?

Can anyone suggest a 3rd party forum that can be embedded?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base