Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Multi-session events with a single registration (e.g. courses)

Current behavior:
Events can not recur automatically, each instance has to be created manually.

Desired behavior:
Ability to setup automatically recurring events, for example monthly board meetings

Notes:
1) We need to figure out what kind of recurrence is required, for example:
- every XX weeks on a certain day
- monthly on certain date
- monthly on a certain weekday (e.g. 2nd Tuesday of each month)
2) probably should be able to set max number of recurrence
3) Initially we will not address the ability to register and pay for several events in the series.

UPDATED: This post is to be focused on particular scenario - multiple sessions but with single registration for all (e.g. course). For another scenario where registration and event descriptions can be different for each occurrence, see http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/9056287-recurring-events-scenario-2-separate-registratio

96 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Recurring Events  ·   · 
    J BuckleyJ Buckley shared a merged idea: Recurring events  ·   · 
    jessicajessica shared a merged idea: Multi-day events [2528]  ·   · 

140 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VickiVicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our group has a bike ride each T & Th. No registration required. I hate having to DUPLICATE, EDIT, ADD NEXT DATE........ Also hate the text saying "Session 5 of 39" ): Very unsatisfied.

• klmklm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can you get a multi-session event show up only once in the "Upcoming events" Gadget. When the "upcoming events" gadget is used is shows every session.
        Specifically, we hold summer camps that meet either daily, or a few weekdays and a few overnights. Before the sessions feature, we just showed the events of happening 24-7, even though they were only day camps or several day camps ending with an overnight.

In the past I've used the "Upcoming events" to filter the camps by grades/ages, but now that every session shows up, there is no way to easily use the Upcoming events gadget to show the camps. The only feature to use is the calendar, which organizes only by date, not other tags. And you can only have one calendar on a page, so can't set up different grade calendars on one page.

Has anyone come up with a solution?

• Walt BilofskyWalt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding the description of this feature in the Release 5.6 announcement http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Release+5.6 :

Will it be possible to suppress the display of "(Session 1 of 6)" in the title of recurring events? If not, this feature will not solve my problem (or Schneibs', I believe) of putting weekly or monthly non-registration events on the calendar.

If this is not a choice when setting up the events, can you provide a CSS or javascript workaround patch?

If Scenario 1 solves Schneib's problem, that will help us a lot too. Same event, multiple repetitions, no registration, same time, same description.

What changes will it be possible to make in the scheduled date(s) after the event is created? Can an automated schedule be used to create a series extending out for many years, and then later on make it terminate sooner?

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Walt - we will consider what you're saying when we start working on what I call scenario 2, thank you.

The problem I experience with your suggestion is that a single mistake (e.g. typo in title or description) will produce a lot of incorrect copies. So, there should be some "undo" too, or multiple edit of events. This should be considered by our Analysis and Design team, we do not want to do it right away, especially when development is already in progress.

On the issue of creating multiple events, each with its own registration, apparently you're thinking that it needs to be possible to edit all those events at once.

Please drop that aspect for the time being. Just let us create multiple, completely distinct events, with no connection between them once they have been created. The UI you have for the multiple date, single registration event should work for this too. Just add a checkbox for single event vs. independent events.

If the admin wants to change all the events after they have been created, he'll have to edit each one individually. But that's no different or worse than the way it is now. So why withhold the benefit of the easy part until you're ready to do the hard part?

• SchneibsSchneibs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*Great* news that this overall topic is getting attention. I'd like to lobby HARD for you to implement recurrence of a single event that has no child or related sessions and no registration.

I'd like to send you a screenshot of the parameters that would solve for this case from my existing site.

The problem of correctly recurring meetings/events on a calendar is a BIG DEAL for small volunteer teams. It is a huge time expense to manually create multiple weekly event that repeat, every week, ALL YEAR with no registration, no change of time, no change of description, just the date.

Multiple that time expense across the Wild Apricot user base. Ouch!

Where might I email a screenshot (not for UI, but for business rules/parameters covered)?

I'd like to share of the manner in which the system we'd be transitioning from does it.

Thanks!

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keith Rice - thanks for reply and I agree that the scope of change will not cover all that have been discussed here over years. But we will do it later (I created another idea for this) - we're just trying to eat an elephant piece by piece :)

Switching single registration on/off is not an easy thing to do logically and requires quite a lot of changes in the system.

• Keith RiceKeith Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not address the major problem that has been talked about since 2008. We need to be able to create the event as in your scenario but each event stands alone. In other words all details of the event are the same except the date. Registrations need to be for individual events. The scenario you have created has merit but why can't you switch the single registration process on or off?

Hi! Thanks for submitting your idea - but this duplicates already couple other we have.

For recurring events see http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825581-recurring-events-2528

For room or equipment reservation system see http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8827066-court-room-or-equipment-reservation-system

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take a look at the Outlook setup for recurring events. It works very well.
        We are an HOA and would also like to use this to reserve the room for the event as we have rooms for the community to use. To do this, only one entry can be entered for that room at that particular time and day of the week (sometimes for several months).
        Currently, Trumba is the software we use. Take a look at it as well.

• Ann GerckensAnn Gerckens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do many events that occur weekly, April through October
        example:
        Tuesday Licking County-Pataskala Ride
        Tuesday 9 AM - Class C
        Average Speed is 13 MPH. 30+ miles. No one dropped & faster riders WILL REGROUP - we stick together. Cycle scenic rural roads, eat, socialize. Meet in Pataskala @ W end of the parking lot @ RR tracks (Rt. 310), 4 miles north of I-70 and 1/2 mile south of Rt. 16 http://tinyurl.com/lp2ncbo
        Steve Gassman: sgassman AT columbus.rr.com: 614/309-7421

The volunteer who adds these to our web calendar provided the following feedback after the last changes were made.
        "Gang,
        Gotta say it is a great deal better duplicating weekly events. I do have a couple of recommendations. Because I still have to:
        1. Make every single ride every single week public.
        2. Get rid of the word "copy" on every single duplicate.
        3. Select date on every single ride for the month.
        4. Save every single ride.
        5. Takes a very long time to get back to get to the next thing I need to do.
        If there was a way to say, "does this event duplicate?" Yes, and on what dates will it duplicate? You select dates for that event. Typically in a month, the weekly rides do not change, so it would be nice...but hey, its a lot better. My time getting the May calendar out there was cut in half"

• aebatty1aebatty1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, we sometimes have events that are coming up "in the fall" for example, but we don't have a date/time yet. We want to let people know that we have something coming, but we are forced to choose a date. We also just had a 4 part event, but with one registration. It was a nightmare to figure out how to implement it.

• PhlangdonPhlangdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have many events that occur weekly, and at least 1 event that occurs monthly. We have been waiting for this feature for as long as we have had Wild Apricot. And the current work around is absolutely unworkable. We have classes that occur on the same day, the same time for 6 weeks and we probably have 50 of them. Our work around is to enter a start date and an end date 6 weeks later. Wreaks havoc on the calendar view. Sure would be nice to have recurring events! As with many other commenters, I have posted on is forum years ago requesting it. And I echo some of the other comments here lately that it is by far the biggest gap in your program.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7