Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Document Library Gadget

Our community organization maintains a lot of short legal PDF documents for reference by our members. The current website we use has a document library function which makes it easy to load a lot of documents into a web page. This page then lists their titles, when they were added, how many hits each document has had over time, etc. You can also sort and resort the documents by clicking on the various column headings.

Right now, we have to manually insert details about each document into a static HTML table. Keeping the documents properly sorted is also difficult. If WA were to offer this type of Functional Page, the folks responsible for maintaining the document library would be much more enthusiatic about the migration. Thanks!

44 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

egerteregerter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    tylerlodgingtylerlodging shared a merged idea: Allow access to view files in folders from a webpage  ·   · 

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Doug ArmstrongDoug Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see a system that works like the events system. For example we have a board meeting and the minutes need to be posted. These should be added using a library manager similar to how events work. The most recent document (or x documents) is(are) displayed in full, the older documents are shown as a list of links, thumbnails etc.

This would be a cool way to store all types of reference material on the site. Also keeps admin from folks from messing with the look and feel of the site.

• CharlesCharles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am adding to this request discussion.

Our organization also has need for a dynamically populated webpages containing a sortable/searchable lists of links to resource documents (PDFs) or images. And yes, additional metadata about the document/image and accesses to it would be desirable.

We have a continually growing list of PDF resource documents and images that we want to make available to members-only to click and read or download.

I understand that existing off-the-shelf scripts with similar functionality entail server-side operations and entail unacceptable risks.

Might WA programmers implement a gadget that restricts such search-and-list activities to a limited set of safe target folders and restricted file types?

• Tom ScottTom Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is one of the major functions our members rely on. We need the following functionality:
        1 - Files are organized by directories (ideally like the existing Files widget)
        2 - Members can view, upload and download
        3 - Permissions setting for directories and files

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need a library in the members section where articles are sorted by topic and or date and can be sorted in a way convenient to members browsing. This is a crucial feature for us.

• SharonSharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great start! I especially like that ability to allow members to upload as well. Can't wait until this is available.

Hard to tell from the design, will the info of the member that uploaded the file be kept and displayed?

As mentioned by others some sort of meta data (title, description, category, keywords, etc) per file and search capability of that meta data would make this much more useful. Usually the file name is not enough to really identify what a file contains.

• Deanna DSAIADeanna DSAIA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing I would add is a way to categorize the library. We have moved our document library to Caspio at the nonprofit rate of about $65 a month. We'd love to get it into WA, but we need a search feature and a category feature.

• RoobarbRoobarb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We could really use this widget developed sooner rather than later. Our organization has a significant amount of documents that we'd like to move over to WA, but it currently requires a tremendous amount of work to accomplish.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This looks good. I would like to allow the members to create "Directories" so they can organize their files in a way that makes sense for them.

I like the idea of a widget so I can create a page that lets me organize it in a way that makes sense for our members.

• Sharon  GanderSharon Gander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this time, there is no way to group related documents and allow for
        searches on their names, keywords, or meta data (e.g., file type, date,
        author). There is no document directory functionality where documents
        (includes images and videos as well as .docx, .pdf., .xlsx, etc.) can be
        posted to a page with a search functionality.

Check out the "Need An Expert" page on our website (https://tifpi.wildapricot.org/Experts). I have been able to use the member
        directory functionality to create searches based on membership fields.
        This is the functionality that I am seeking for documents and photos. To
        organize and promote content based on folder, title, and/or metadata.

I am seeking a gadget that provides a directory of documents and images.
        Right now, the photos (images) can be presented as a slide show or as links on a page. Documents can be presented as links only. I'd like to see a
        configurable directory of documents including images.

Like the events gadget, it would be nice to be able to present a list of download able files by topic(s) and/or file type so that each page can present the right information at the right time.

You have so many really smooth and effective gadgets. Thanks for each of them.

• tylerlodgingtylerlodging commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently you can link to a file stored in the resources directory of the website. I would like to be able to allow specific members to view the contents of the folder and select a file they wish to view. This will eliminate the need to post a direct link to each file on a webpage and the files viewable on the website will always be up to date without any additional changes to the webpage.

• brianfilmsbrianfilms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good to see this is moving forward, it is VERY important to save hours and hours of time. Key elements are:
        1. making the search functionality integrated
        2. ensure/improve document security beyond just having the ip address
        3. allowing search results to point to the exact location on a page.
        Thanks.

One more thing - our current library utilizes categories that are searchable. Is that also included in the design? Searching it like a database was high on our members' ask list. But, they also want to click on a category and peruse stuff they might be interested in as well.

It is difficult to see with the design, but I'm curious if it would allow us to upload or import a number of items. We have a current library of 1200 items. We can export it to an Excel file. Since we have just moved it to a new library because we couldn't export from the last one, I can't imagine asking my volunteers to add everything manually again.

Also - I realize there is no way for you to give us exact timelines, but what is the normal amount of time once a developer begins work on a project?

• brsinburnsvillebrsinburnsville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great. It could give us something to fill the gap of WA not having Committee Management. It could at least give us the ability to create buckets to hold different committee's files.

Please do this as soon as you can!
        Thanks.

• brianfilmsbrianfilms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, to insert links to files is a one-by-one process. For someone wanting to create a document library on their site, this means manually linking each and every document. This can take hours and hours depending on the amount of documents.It should not be this way. There must be a bulk link function added where I can select multiple files and have multiple links created at one time. I can bulk upload a selection, so I should now be able to bulk link as well.

Thanks.

I'd love to see this come to fruition. It could mean us returning to WA for good. The only reason we left was because we needed a searchable document library. If you could make it searchable (by title at the least), we're in!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7