Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Void invoices (i.e. do not automatically erase invoices)

Current Situation
Invoices can only be created, edited, settled or deleted. And if a registration is cancelled the original invoice will also be erased.

Desired:
Ability to ‘Void' invoices. I.e. when an event registration is cancelled, the invoice will not be deleted but be switched to a "voided" status and as a result any payments associated with the invoice will be unsettled.

84 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ruud VeltmanRuud Veltman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    FSSAMemberDirFSSAMemberDir shared a merged idea: Allow voiding of invoices (i.e. not have to delete)  ·   · 
    Greig HolderGreig Holder shared a merged idea: Prevent Deletion of Invoices  ·   · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CVMG_webadminCVMG_webadmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so, with this new approach, the invoice gets voided, not deleted, when you delete an event with paying registrants, correct? I'm just part-way through manually entering 300-ish invoices for an event I deleted in error.....

• brigid1950brigid1950 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This helps us when looking at individual financials. Previously, if the invoice was deleted, we would see a payment and then a credit but you could never figure out what it was for unless you did some digging or kept detailed notes. Now at least, you should be able to see a trail - the invoice, the voided invoice, a payment and a credit. A complete story. I haven't tried this yet but I'm hoping this is the way it will work. Let's hope this makes it easier.

• webmasterwebmaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many times, a question comes up as to who paid/did not pay and with gaps in the invoices (because some are deleted because they can't be voided), there is no way to tell if a deletion was truly a "void" or if something else is going on. When you have a Treasurer position that rolls to different people year after year, it becomes essential to have that full audit trail to go back to. Even when dumping to an accounting system like QuickBooks, this audit trail needs to be preserved to avoid fraud and impropriety.

• CVMG_webadminCVMG_webadmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

instead of a cancelled status, why not treat dead invoices consistently with dead Contact and Members by Archiving them?

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These should never be deleted. A cross-referenced credit note would be a good way of handling the refund if necessary

• rmckayrmckay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better tracking of cancelled financial transactions. A "void" option that would leave evidence of the transaction but zero out the dollar amount would be helpful for historical data.

• BeardoBeardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a major step forward. As I have proposed earlier in another thread here (I can't find it anymore since the new feedback system was established): Invoices should not be deleted at all as it makes book keeping difficult. Instead there need to be "Reversal Invoices" that are put into account and kept with the initial invoices.

I'm glad you are working on it.

I think this is important too - especially if an organization is relying on WA for record keeping.
        This goes along with another thread where the request was to void invoices, and not delete them.

I agree. Although there is some record kept in the audit trail, it would be nicer and clearer if the invoice would still show up in the list. Helps to quickly answer the question as to why there is a gap in the invoice numbers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to preserve the audit trail of the invoice ledger in WA. Although WA is not an accounting application, its invoice-generating module needs to preserve the audit-ability of the invoice/accounts payable ledger. This becomes particularly important for those entities which import WA data into QuickBooks.

• Greig HolderGreig Holder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a contact record is deleted, any corresponding invoices are deleted (after a warning). I would like to prevent the deletion of invoices via a Setting within Finances. Missing invoices prevent us from doing a reconciliation to our bank records.

The situation arose because our membership manager, who is not trained in accounting, deleted contacts who had died, hence were never going to renew membership. While we can explain to the membership manager about the importance of not deleting member records (even from the archive), we can't prevent it from occuring. Now our finance manager has missing invoices to try to explain to the audit committee.

The whole Finance module is a wonderful addition to Wild Apricot. A few tweaks will make it even better.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7