Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Deactivate Social Platform Login (Facebook, Google)

I did not find any option to "deactivate" social media platform login… (I mean in the "authorization system page login" AND the "personal member profile")

Can someone give me a tip?

I dont want people to be able to login via social platforms because I see this as a security risk. In panic I removed the buttons with CSS-Code… not a very "clean" method.

Please advise!

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

BeardoBeardo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Workaround from Beardo:

To restore the old authorization page look:

/* SOCIAL LOGIN BUTTONS HIDE */
    .WaGadgetAuthorizationRequired .openAuthFormContainer {
    border-right: none;
    max-width: 0px;
    padding-right: 40px;
    display: none;
    }

/* PADDING TO SOCIAL LOGIN BUTTONS HIDE */
    .WaGadgetAuthorizationRequired .authFormContainer {
    padding-left: 0;
    }

To remove the login buttons from the member directory personal profiles (at the bottom):

/* MEMBER SOCIAL LOGIN BUTTONS HIDE */
    #socialLoginContainer, #idSocialLoginContainer {
    }

Just copy/paste the above and update your “user.css” file.

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Shannon Felton SpenceShannon Felton Spence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the Systems Pages for "Authorization Required" and cannot figure out how to disable social media login. Can someone give me step - by -step laymen instructions??? Thank you!

• MBMB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Beardo Thanks for this hack! Exactly what I was looking for. I agree with others though that this should be easy to do via Wild Apricot. However the admins on this page don't seem to understand the necessity for it.

• KearaujoKearaujo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really don't want these social media buttons on our login page. Please give us an option to deactivate them.

• LazarLazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with everyone on the thread. It's crazy that there isn't an option to simply turn it off. I mean it's a neat feature, but for one there are certainly some customers that simply do not want it, and second it is a potential security risk as someone gave a good example above.

For now I guess CSS will have to do, but that only solves the first problem, not the second.

• AimeeAimee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the choice to deactivate the social media login. We do not have this nor do we want it.

Thank you

• BeardoBeardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any news or a statement if there will be a change to "optional" in future releases of WA? Or is this staying as it is now?

• mmcdanielmmcdaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[quote user="TBOC"][quote user="CatTravers"]

Ditto for setting the logged in members landing page. It's great that they gave us advance warning that the default would change and need to be manually restored, but it took two emails to tech support and 48 hours to get the link to the instructions on how to do this. Searching on the exact phraseology used in the heads-up email did not bring up the instructions.[/quote]

Wait… there actually IS a set of instructions to deactivate it? I am not sure if am tracking correctly…

[/quote]

I think CatTravers is referring to the member landing page there, not the social platform login.

• BrooksBrooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks so much for the css code. Nice workaround until this feature can be turned off.

[quote user="TBOC"]

I used this and have it eliminated hidden entirely:

To restore the old authorization page look:

/*SOCIAL LOGIN BUTTONS HIDE*/

.WaGadgetAuthorizationRequired .openAuthFormContainer {

border-right: none;

max-width: 0px;

padding-right: 40px;

}

/*PADDING TO SOCIAL LOGIN BUTTONS HIDE*/

.WaGadgetAuthorizationRequired .authFormContainer {

padding-left: 0;

}

To remove the login buttons from the member directory personal profiles (at the bottom):

/*MEMBER SOCIAL LOGIN BUTTONS HIDE*/

#socialLoginContainer, #idSocialLoginContainer {

}

Just copy/paste the above and update your "user.css" file.[/quote]

[quote user="CatTravers"]

Ditto for setting the logged in members landing page. It's great that they gave us advance warning that the default would change and need to be manually restored, but it took two emails to tech support and 48 hours to get the link to the instructions on how to do this. Searching on the exact phraseology used in the heads-up email did not bring up the instructions.[/quote]

Wait… there actually IS a set of instructions to deactivate it? I am not sure if am tracking correctly…

• CatTraversCatTravers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more. And clients who prefer not to add these buttons should not face demands to justify their reasons!

Ditto for setting the logged in members landing page. It's great that they gave us advance warning that the default would change and need to be manually restored, but it took two emails to tech support and 48 hours to get the link to the instructions on how to do this. Searching on the exact phraseology used in the heads-up email did not bring up the instructions.

I'm baffled as to why they didn't just include the link with the instructions in the advance warning email they sent out. Isn't it completely obvious that you need to tell people how when you warn them they will need to make a manual change? Also, they need to proofread those instructions, as they have referred to the "Members" menu as the "Membership" menu.

All in all, the login-related updates give the impression of something hastily cobbled together without taking a few minutes to think through the implications from the client point of view, and disregarding some really basic best practice precepts.

• Rick DalvenRick Dalven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you; exactly what I needed.

I do not want my membership to have the capability to use any social media to log in.

Changes of this nature should not only be a controllable option, but should also default to OFF/HIDDEN, and give us administrators to enable if WE choose.

I have a group of about 1000 members and we started as a Facebook group that became a real club this year. Once in a while Facebook accounts of my members become HACKED… that's a known issue. If hackers are able to hijack a Facebook account and then are able to login into the according member profile of a Wild Apricot website, they are also able to see the whole directory listing of members for that website. That actually IS a "security issue".

I also cannot agree with the "not to be able" to turn off the social platform login. It should have been an option from the beginning, not a forced feature. I was in panic today as I never expected it not be able to be turned off.

Please note that the "CSS hack" does only "hide" the feature and does not eliminate the page code for the browser.

• ChristopherChristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What "security" issues are there with FB login? FB has some serious security built into the use of 3rd party sign-ins so I'm not clear which issue you may have.

• mjoundimjoundi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am I the only one that thinks it's absurd that not only were these buttons added automatically, without permission- but that there is no clearly advertised "off" setting, forcing us to hide them with custom css? Really? There's privacy and security issues related to FB/G+ logins. We shouldn't be forced to remove them with a hack, and the login gadget should at least have a setting for these.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7