Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Allow to make common fields readonly

It would be very helpful to be able to add a common field which can be changed only by the administrator, but still be seen by non-members or members (depending on what options have been selected under common fields). This way a rating could be input by the administrator, without being accessable by the member, but still be viewable by anyone.

For example the admin adds a new common field called 'Ratings' - Options set at 'for administrator access/input only' - Others access set at 'Anybody'- this would allow the administrator to manually add a rating to a member as such:

Rating: 5/5 Star Rating (1 vote)

(Common field name: input by admin)

Is this possible at all???

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CaraniaCarania shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any idea when this might make its way to the roadmap? I'm about to restructure our database solely because I need the "view only" functionality of the Member Fields. It's very frustrating because the fields really should be Common Fields (e.g. address), and they should be sorted in with the other Common Fields that I can't change to Member Fields because they're System Fields, e.g. phone, email, and name.

• LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to set Common Fields to Read-Only would be immensely useful to us! We've added a custom Address field that should be on all contacts. We want people to be able to view it in their account without being able to make changes (because we don't get any notification when they do so, and there's no data validation). We want them to view it so they know to notify us if it needs to be changed. Right now I'm considering switching Address to a member field, but then it'll be on a separate tab from all their other info in the admin side of things. It also won't be able to be sorted together with the common fields on the membership signup form - another hardship on admins entering new members.

We're already entering everyone - even our contacts - as WA members with a member level of "Non-Member Contact." It's confusing to our Admins, but is the only way that I can see to give all of our business and professional contacts the full capabilities needed (e.g. group participation, access to restricted event registration, view-only fields in their accounts, etc.).

I truly wish Contacts and Members were merged, such that everyone is a contact and they can optionally have a Membership Level assigned. If they don't have a level assigned, then you know they're only a contact. All the fields for Contacts and Members would be the same. This would be so much simpler!

• CaraniaCarania commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, thank you very much.

Look foward to being able to use this feature.

Thanks for your help.

• CaraniaCarania commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be perfect! Yes please :-)

Is that easy to do on your end i.e. could you implement this quite soon?

Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7