Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Multiple E-mail Addresses for One Contact

For whatever reason, my members just can't get a hold of using one specific e-mail address for our website. They have a work e-mail (sometimes 2 versions of a work e-mail), a personal e-mail, a personal e-mail for newsletters, etc. For almost every event we host, I get 2-3 e-mails and then at least 10 complaints at the event itself that the member could not register as a "member" on the website, that it wasn't recognizing them, when really it was that they were not using the correct e-mail address.

I've put multiple instances of text on the site telling them to use the e-mail they've received the newsletter at to log in, but to no avail. I end up spending several hours coordinating with the member ("Which e-mail address would you like to use?") and then editing and deleting the "ghost members".

So for those who have multiple accounts on our website:
* They will get our e-mails at each of their accounts (some of them want this, some don't).
* Our contact count is increased, even though it's just 1 person with 3-4 e-mail addresses.
* If someone has 4 e-mails registered, maybe only 1 of them has the correct membership level assigned, so they become frustrated.
* When I do a data import of a roster from our national society, only the account with the matching e-mail address gets the updated information (address change, level change, renewal date change, etc)

It seems like a solution similar to the bundle would work for this, but bundling would be a lot of work since almost every one of our 1500+ members would love the option to have additional e-mails on file.

52 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SWEAtlantaSWEAtlanta shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: more than one email address  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Multiple Owner Options for HOA  ·   · 

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • weathersmbweathersmb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Geez, folks, this should be an easy to fix no-brainer. All you have to do is add a second box with an email enabling link. Should be a couple of clicks for a programmer. This is a VITAL service for us since our members are by household. I generate many pieces of correspondence that are email only and have to be sent through Wild Apricot as they are generated through the templates there. As the previous poster stated, this may be a deal breaker for us when we come up for renewal if it is not fixed. Very aggravating and a huge amount of work to try to do work-arounds when the solution would be so simple.

• Jeff LambertJeff Lambert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having multiple emails for a member contact is important to the Dishman Hills Conservancy. Our memberships are by household. Each member has multiple people and multiple email addresses. Since there is a member fee and renewals, it is quite confusing to split households - let's say the husband and wife. One pays and we dun the other. We added a second email field but there is no link to email to these secondary emails as part of an email blast.

For member-only events, we have difficulties due to some of the member emails not being accepted. It is not reasonable to have household memberships linked to only one email. This is a deal-breaker for us.

• Mooring10Mooring10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May 2011 and still nothing???

My members are really asking for this--getting an email blast to there member record with more than one email address. I have added an alternate email address field--but I can' not find a way to use it for email blasts. When you implement this, I would suggest up to 4 alternate email address per contact. Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow members to submit more than one email address per member/contact. Currently we have it configured that more than one email address can be listed on the profile, however, when it comes to blast emails, the blast only goes to one email address per member. Situation: one family, but multiple email addresses in that family that want to receive notifications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization is an HOA. We have a good number of people who own more than one home in the association. When I enter their data for the other residence the system will not allow me to save it. I believe it would be a good option to consider owning more than one residence and allowing that owner(s) to use the same email address.

• SophieSophie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also need this feature. Having multiple email address by contact and/or member would definitely simply our work when sending newletters and organizing events. We need to have the exact number of members we have for academic purposes.

• ViolaineViolaine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my wish to this list: we do have family members who would like to be CCed on system notifications, so being able to add several emails for a single account would help. We are fine with a single email per login (although we would like to be able to use the same email on different accounts).

• RuthiRuthi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to me that a major limitation of WA is that an account is pretty much defined by their email address. There is the user ID but an email can't be duplicated across contacts, and the system will only recognise 1 email per contact.

If I'm registering someone without email for an event, WA won't let me add them as a registrant via the event itself unless I've already created an account for them. So I have to back out of the event, go to Contacts, create the account then register them.

We have contacts with several email addresses (private, work, etc). I have to make 2 contacts and label one of them private and one of them work, which is messy (and uses up 2 contacts).

People also do forget which email address they're using and complain about not being able to access member benefit, but tbh that will happen with any system they're using not just WA. Don't know what the answer is to that one :)

We also have contacts where more than one person shares an email address (usually older couples), but we do need to contact them separately. (for example one is a member, one is a donor or so on). I have to leave out the email for one of them and then they don't get all communications.

If you can 'unhook' the email and the account identity that would be great so there can be multiple emails per contact / multiple contacts per email.

• JacquiJacqui commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also in need of this feature. We have member organizations where the members do not want there individual email address in the directory but rather a more generic "info@...." email address. However, that is not the best email address to send event announcements and renewal emails to.

• bfpw1502bfpw1502 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I have a family, I need to be able to contact both Mom and Dad...and maybe even the child or grandparent. :) Please, please make it an option for field type in set up. :)

• Lea Aden LueckLea Aden Lueck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A related issue for us is we need to cc someone (generally an admin assistant) on any emails sent to a member. That might be different than members wanting certain info to go to one email, and other to a different one--but it's related.

• CClarkCClark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you going to continue using isn't it prohibitive without the multiple email address fields per member. Its a mess and my board wants to change software. The lead on membership is having a fit...

Any work arounds-real ones. Using two data bases means WA is not worth the costs to the organization.

• EholcEholc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with the others….multiple email addresses are really needed. Not just one more for the spouse. That would just be a band-aid. Make it flexible. Our members have both personal and work emails. Plus emails for the spouse (personal and work) and their children. It seems that you could create a new field “type” for emails (like you have for dates) and scan through the member field list to determine where the email addresses are in the database row. Yes, it would be work but I think it would greatly improve the flexibility of your product. And we could then stop maintaining an additional system just for emailing members.

• Tim StoennerTim Stoenner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so important to us - we are a family organization and currently we must do our mailing out of an alternate e-mail program since we need to include Partner/Spouse e-mail in our communication We have used the bundle membership structure for the family with hidden fields so that children can be registered as bundle member / but this work around does not allow us to communicate with the spouse whose email is currently an additional text membership field. The ability to have multiple e-mails tagged or linked to the bundle member is worth any additional costs required if this is a revenue issue on your end.

This is a really big priority for us.

Are you still using the system, if so how did you make it work. WE are experiencing many of those same problems and are going to have to stop using WA if we cannot resolve them. Any workable work around ideas anyone?

We are experiencing alot of email requests for more than one email address assigned to one organization. WE must have that feature. I see you are balancing a lot of things and appreciate that you are busy but so are we and I am sure other clients of yours.

WE have researched the bundling and the problem will still exist as we must have the ability for more than one person to receive the emails about their memberships and member events.

Thank you for your consideration.

We are experiencing alot of email requests for more than one email address assigned to one organization. WE must have that feature. I see you are balancing a lot of things and appreciate that you are busy but so are we and I am sure other clients of yours.

Thank you for your consideration.

Not that is matters as I see people have been asking for this for years. WE have to have it, we have members that have multiple emails because of their staff. The staff are not our contacts but their boss' membership means that the members employees have access to everything including emails from us. Like a family, do you not have multiple addresses for family membership programs.

Is the reason you don't because you are afraid you wont make as much money because you want us to keep adding contacts so that you can charge more.

Why do your clients put up with this.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7