Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Links to external sites as Menu Items

Currently a menu item has to be a WA object (content page, event listing, forum, etc.). If I want to link to an external website (your national organization for example) or even a specific event registration page as a menu item, you have to create an empty content page and use JavaScript and/or a meta tag redirect to send the user on (See this help page for additional detail: http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Redirecting+a+page ).

It would be great if you could enter a url for the menu item rather than this kludgey redirect process. This could also be accomplished through implementing a http 301 redirect that has been proposed to in some other posts, but again this is a somewhat kludgey solution.

-Ben

15 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

psychojunglecatpsychojunglecat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to add menu items that link to any specified URL, including pages within the site. While I think good design often eliminates the need for duplication, sometimes a page needs to be linked to in multiple locations for user-friendliness. For example, if a main menu item has a drop-down (secondary menu), sometimes people don't realize they can click on the main menu item and only look in the drop-down options. A main menu item of "Become a Member" could link to the same page as the drop-down option "How to Join." Also, it'd be nice to be able to add menu links to different anchors on a single page, and to be able to link to files, e.g. PDFs, so that we can list items such as our Bylaws in the menu.

• bstuderbstuder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there anyway to make menu items point to an external site in a new window?

I have used the redirect but I would like the page to open in a new window.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW, ideally I think these menu items should be somehow visually differentiated so that site visitors are not unexpectedly thrown to some other place.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7