Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Links to external sites as Menu Items

Currently a menu item has to be a WA object (content page, event listing, forum, etc.). If I want to link to an external website (your national organization for example) or even a specific event registration page as a menu item, you have to create an empty content page and use JavaScript and/or a meta tag redirect to send the user on (See this help page for additional detail: http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Redirecting+a+page ).

It would be great if you could enter a url for the menu item rather than this kludgey redirect process. This could also be accomplished through implementing a http 301 redirect that has been proposed to in some other posts, but again this is a somewhat kludgey solution.

-Ben

17 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

psychojunglecatpsychojunglecat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to add menu items that link to any specified URL, including pages within the site. While I think good design often eliminates the need for duplication, sometimes a page needs to be linked to in multiple locations for user-friendliness. For example, if a main menu item has a drop-down (secondary menu), sometimes people don't realize they can click on the main menu item and only look in the drop-down options. A main menu item of "Become a Member" could link to the same page as the drop-down option "How to Join." Also, it'd be nice to be able to add menu links to different anchors on a single page, and to be able to link to files, e.g. PDFs, so that we can list items such as our Bylaws in the menu.

• bstuderbstuder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there anyway to make menu items point to an external site in a new window?

I have used the redirect but I would like the page to open in a new window.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW, ideally I think these menu items should be somehow visually differentiated so that site visitors are not unexpectedly thrown to some other place.

Feedback and Knowledge Base