Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Different durations for the same membership level

Now that WA can accommodate memberships of different lengths (in years), we want to offer a menu of options such as 1 year, 2 year and 5 year membership lengths.

Right now, everyone who is a member has a 1 year membership.

It looks like I could add 2 and 5 year memberships which NEW members could sign up for, but I don't see how to offer my current members the option to renew for longer at their next renewal date. When they renew, it's automatically going to be for 1 year.

Is there a way that each time a member is up for renewal that they could decide how long to renew for?

Thanks

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Heather HuckebaHeather Huckeba shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just for billing. Currently we have 3 different levels of membership but within those levels members can choose to be billed annually, quarterly or monthly. It's not urgent but it would be nice to be able to only have 3 levels rather than 9 total with each level being duplicated thrice with the only difference being the renewal period.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize that this post is quite old, but I would certainly like to see this become available. Any chance of different renewal periods for the same membership level coming in the future?

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to hear your first WA event went well!

I agree with your idea that potentially different membership durations can be wrapped into the same level - though this is quite different from how Wild Apricot is setup now.

I will move your post back to the wishlist concentrating on this particular aspect.

• Heather HuckebaHeather Huckeba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aha!

I just went back and re-read the documentation about levels and I see that the member can change their level themselves. They just would need to do it during their renewal time period or else they will be double charged if they switch their level mid-year.

Ok - that does help. It's going to be less straightforward for members to understand than if they could hit renew and then decide length, but it would at least give us something to work with.

I would like to propose that length be added as an option for renewal with different prices set in the future, assuming that is something there is enough interest in by other members.

As I noted above, also, being able to choose auto or manual renewal as an option would also be nice.

Thanks so much!

PS - we just finished our first major event with WA and our event organizers had rave reviews for how much easier our registration process was this year! Awesome!

• Heather HuckebaHeather Huckeba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your reply...

But can a member change their level themselves? I think an administrator (me!) would have to change the level for each person, which is not very seamless.

Or is there a way for a member to change their level themselves that I'm not aware of?

Sorry to add to this, but this is somewhat related: it would also be nice to let members choose if they want to do automatic renewal or not, but it seems like it's either one or the other - the member can't choose. We do not feel we can force everyone to do automatic renewal, but it would be nice if when they renew that they could choose that option (along with their membership length).

Thanks

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently memberships of different lengths are setup as different levels. So in this case people would need to do a level change rather than renewal.

Let me know if this helps.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7