Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Add limitation by Groups to Registration Types for Events

Current behavior:
When creating a registration type it can be set to everyone, members, or members of a selected membership level

Desired Behavior:
Create the ability to limit registrations to members of a group. This way admins can create a group, for example board members and make sure that only they can sign up for board meetings or executive events.

19 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

anonymous_206.223.175.10anonymous_206.223.175.10 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    WEBCSDWEBCSD shared a merged idea: Request to gate registrations by common fields  ·   · 

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Charles CongdonCharles Congdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have events where only people with certain certifications (group memberships) should be able to sign up. I can create registration types that are limited to certain membership levels, but I cannot further limit them to members of certain groups.

I cannot enforce these rules by event access permissions, because I want all members (and even those not logged in) to be able to see the detailed description of these events on the calendar so that they are enticed to attain these certifications and engage more deeply in the club. And I want only one calendar, again so that everyone can see every event.

• Dawn BellingerDawn Bellinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Restricting event registration types to match specific content of a common field. For example: "Member Competitor" registration type limited to "D2 or D3" in "Certification Level" common field or whatever value specified when setting up the Event. [It wouldn't work to put them in Groups because the members change Certification levels constantly.]

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that better approach would be adding Groups into Registration type settings.

Now they have only Membership levels, but if we also have groups, then you can setup registration type availability much more flexible. For example, in your case, "certain member of our organization" will be part of some group, and you will have special registration type that is available fro this group only.

Would it be better solution for the problem?

• Jarren KinchJarren Kinch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the ability to make event registration availability dependent on both membership type, and also requiring a registration code. Currently it is an either/or item.

Reason: Our workshop committee has set up some workshops that are only for certain members of our organization (and thus require approval before registering), but the payment levels are still tiered according to membership levels (different prices for different membership levels).I've suggested that they set up different registration codes for each membership type. However, this has resulted in some members using a different email address than they registered as members with, and so they were being charged an incorrect amount.

Thanks,

Jarren Kinch
        WSRID Webmaster

• Dave PetersDave Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did this feature (restricting visibility of events by group) ever get into the product?

Our requirement is that we have members (umpires) of different "ranks". I want to open up certain events first to certain groups, then broaden registration to a larger group (giving preference, in effect). Most members are the same "Level", so I can't use that as a filter.

• JenJen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to do this as well.

We have meetings for Board Members and Committee members - we use groups to designate these members. We'd like them to be able to register for these meetings on our wild apricot website.

Also, is there a way to make the meeting only visible to those who are in the defined groups, not to the entire membership/public?

• GHBA BrendaGHBA Brenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some “real life examples” I have:

I'm currently creating events that are specific to certain groups within our membership base. For example, we are planning a "thank you" social event for our volunteer members on specific committees. Each committee is set up as a group so I can email them information, create pages for them, etc. I do not want my entire membership base to be able to register for this event. I just want to have those in the group to get the invitation and be allowed to register for the event.

Board meetings. I have created a group of board members and I would like to create a board meeting event that I only want to have board members register for (so I can understand who will attend). I do not want to send an invitation to this event to the entire membership, although I do want the membership to know the event is occurring, I do not want them all to attend!

Our organization relies completely on volunteer groups. We would like a way to “target” these groups with events planned specifically targeted at their activities.

• Kevin PrinceKevin Prince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also like to limit event registrations by group level. We have a bunch of events that only families who have paid a participation fee are eligable to register for, and once they paid we add them to a special group. Only members who are also group members should be allowed to register. It does no good to limit them by web page since people can still get to the event page from the calendar.

So put us down as wanting this feature too... thanks!

• EricaErica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, being able to use groups in other areas would be extremely useful. For example, ability to send event announcements to select groups (as well as select membership levels, rather than simply members) would be immensely useful.

• EricaErica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to be able to make event registration types available to select groups, as well as membership levels. For example:

• WEBCSDWEBCSD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like the ability to gate event registrations by common fields (e.g. birth date). The feature should be robust enough to handle multiple selections from a drop down list, radial button selection, date range, etc.... The feature should provide a field where we can define the text to be displayed if the registration criteria is not met.

This would reduce overhead required to manage registrations and manually contact/remove individuals that do not meet the criteria.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7