Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Event Registration form to update contact profile

I noticed that the contact fields automatically get loaded to event registration forms which is a nice feature and saves the user time when registering.

I'd like to request that updates made to contact field information by individuals who are "recognized" users of WA be back loaded to their permanent contact record.

For instance, if someone sees an error in their contact field information (like mailing address) while registering for an event and they update that field (like their mailing address or phone number) while registering for an event, I'd like that change updated to their permanent contact profile record instead of just getting saved with the event record.

If you add this function, it would be a good idea to add a warning message as they page through the registration form to ask "You have made changes to a profile field, do you want those changes to update your profile?". Then given them a yes or no option. Yes means you allow the update to the profile, no means the change only gets stored with the event registration form as you do now.

Hopefully other will like this idea and encourage this to be added. I would anticipate that end users would think that an update made while registering for an event would carry back to their permanent contact file record, when in fact it is not. It would be a nice capability. We will see what other say.

37 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James KerichJames Kerich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Mary AdamsMary Adams shared a merged idea: Click to change database when registering for an event  ·   · 
    Paul at PENPaul at PEN shared a merged idea: Member or contact profile differs from event registration details - can cause various problem like wrong email or organization  ·   · 

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mary AdamsMary Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, if a person is in our database, when they register for an event with their email, the system populates the registration form. A lot of our members assume that if they make changes to this data, they will automatically change their profiles. They get frustrated.

I've added language to our registration system page that explains this but it would be really nice if there were a way to "click to update your profile" or something like that?

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is much needed. The competitor I transitioned from to Wild Apricot did update the user's profile with the common DB field changes. This seems like a 'no-brainer' that it is needed.

• Charles PenaCharles Pena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this might be hard to incorporate, maybe a statement on top of a registration form that says your profile is not updated or to update your profile. UPDATE HERE! Send them back after they update it. You already have the logic to check for specific entries in a User Profile. I have one question that I check. If it isn't checked, the profile isn't updated.

• Charles PenaCharles Pena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature. Our required User Profile fields and required event registration fields are exactly the same. Members insist they updated their User Profile and there is something wrong with our website since they know they entered the exact data already.

• Charles DaughdrillCharles Daughdrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to me that the interface between the profile and events should work more smoothly. When an update is made in either place, it should update that information all across the platform. It creates double and triple work to have to make those edits in every section.

• Walt BilofskyWalt Bilofsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this should be limited to logged in members and would be quite useful for us.

If you're looking at contact fields, here's something else that would be helpful.

Now, contact (or common) fields always go at the top. This creates a poor workflow for some of our event registrations. (We need a number of common fields for some registrants, but not for most registrants. So these common fields push the required fields down the page. Then our members complain that they can't figure out how to fill out the form.)

I suggest adding another custom field type, a Common Field, that could be moved around on the form and have instructions just like any other custom field. When creating this type of custom field, the admin would get a dropdown list and could specify which Common Field to use.

Then we could lay the form out more clearly for all registrants.

• Kathy GarrettKathy Garrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A button on the registration page asking "do you want to update your contact information to reflect this?" would be great. Limiting it to registered users is fine. It's just crazy to have to go look at all of them to see if the event and contact information match. Getting the members to update their information as soon as it changes would be nice but adjusting the software is easier and more effective than trying to change members' behavior.

• MaryAMaryA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea but see the challenges explained below. At a minimum, a note that tells people that changes will not be saved to their profile would be nice. A password prompt would be even better.

• HollyHolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least from the admin side if info is changed in the contact's data it would be great if the data changed globally across all events that contact is registered for.

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I merged this thread and another old thread for Genera forum to solve them together. The problem is that difference in event registration record and contact/member record may cause (and causes) a number of difficulties so we have to rethink the approach from the begginning and possibly change the background logic completely.

For now, it'll be staying here, collecting comments and waiting for its turn to get into the Roadmap http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Product+roadmap

• OlegOleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

It seems the matter is in Privacy settings, nevertheless:

If "Organization" field privacy settings are set to "Members", this field will not be automatically filled in when registering without logging in. Other fields, e.g. First or Last name, have privacy settings set to "Anybody", thus are always filled in automatically.
        Since members can change privacy settings of the fields as they want in their profile, this can differ from member to member.

There are two ways to solve the problem:

1. Change Organization field privacy settings to "Anybody". (You can do it for your whole contact base at once, see here: https://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Member+privacy+settings ). To prevent further changes by members you can lock this field privacy settings.

2. Require members to log into site prior to registering. In this case all fields will be autofilled, since system knows the user and can fill fields w/o compromising anybody's privacy.

• pthreatt@mcneese.edupthreatt@mcneese.edu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That was the first thing I checked (privacy settings). I can't make the Organization field mandatory because some people don't have an organization. It also can't be that they registered with a different email, because all the other parts of their profiles were filled in (name, email, phone, etc.).

I did a little more investigation. Out of 223 event registrants, 29 did not have the Organization field filled in on the event side. Of those 29, 13 did not have the Organization field filled in on the member profile side, so that's not a problem. That leaves 16 that have something in their Organization fields on the member profile side, but the info didn't automatically fill in on the event side. I can't see any difference in those 16 profiles. Their profiles look exactly like the 197 registrants that worked smoothly.

• Phil AndersonPhil Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing I can think of is they didn't choose for the rego form to automatically fill in the details from their member profile. That or they registered with an email not linked to their profile and didn't fill in the company details themselves? One way around this would be to make the "organisation" part on the rego form mandatory. This is part of the contacts common fields so can be made mandatory from editing the "common fields" assuming you use this field on the registration form.

• pthreatt@mcneese.edupthreatt@mcneese.edu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone help me solve this problem? We recently had an event with 200+ members. For most members, when they registered for the event, their profile info transferred to their event registration. For a handful of members, the organization field info did not transfer. This meant that when name badges were printed some members did not have their organization displayed (the names displayed fine). Why did some members' profile info transfer and others did not?

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Paul,

you are right - when you send e-mails from specific event, system uses e-mail from event registration and not from contact record. And as Denys mentioned earlier these are two different e-mails.

I understand you point and we have this particular problem in our analysis list. For now that cannot be changed quickly as we have a lot of to do things on the very next release. But I will consider your particular case when I will work on this problem.

For now I would suggest you to use a workaround: to use correct e-mail in your case, you need to send e-mail from Contact list, not from Event details. To get a list of required contacts, use advanced search option on Contact list and add search criteria named "Registered for specific event(s)" then select the event you want. This will produce you with a list of all contacts that attended this particular event and you will be able to E-mail them - system will use e-mails from contact details record, not from event registration.

Hope this will help.

Evgeny.

• Paul at PENPaul at PEN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Denys,

Sorry for my delay in replying.

I am pretty sure that email blasts sent to event attendees are not going to the contact address, but to the event registration address. That is the problem.

I am getting bounced emails for addresses that do not show up in a Contacts search. They are the addresses used for the original registration.

Thanks

Paul

• anonymous_206.223.175.10anonymous_206.223.175.10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paul, contact record and event record are two different records and if you change something in one it will not propagate to the other. So if you need to change the email you must adjust the contact's email since the email blast is sent to the contact email.

• Paul at PENPaul at PEN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am noticing that this is definitely how the system now works: if I change a contact's email address, the change does not get propagated to their event registrations. This can't be intentional - can it?

• Jean SpoonerJean Spooner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the security reasons to not allow a non-logged in person to change information on a contact profile. BUT, as an administrator, it is cumbersome to update new information (e.g., address changes) by a cut-and-paste. A useful feature would be for the admin to be able to go to a event registration record of contact and ask for the information be used to update the contact profile information (kinda a 'merge' within the contact). If the information is filled in under the event fields, it would be used to update those fields within the contact information.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7