Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Linking to documents

It would like the ability to link to documents within the default "link" panel rather then having "files" as a unique type.

The benefit of linking to documents using the "link" method is that users could select if the document should open in a new window (or not) and also select a button style.

Attached is a quick mock-up illustrating how this could look.

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MergeCMergeC shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    egerteregerter shared a merged idea: Open document links in a new window  ·   · 

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MergeCMergeC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dmitry, is there a way to attach images to these comment posts? I have created a quick mock-up illustrating an idea for linking to documents from within the default "link" panel.

Would you prefer me to post it in the Wishlist forum instead?

• MergeCMergeC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a important feature. It has my vote. This wouldn't be nessesary if it was possible to link to documents with the default link panel. The default link feature allows the user to define if it opens in a new window or not and also define a button style as well (which would be cool).

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we did not get any other requests regarding this, we have decided to remove it from our wishlist for now.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The thing with documents is that depending on document type and user settings it will either be either downloaded or opened inline. So target has less effect than for links.

Nevertheless this is a valid request and we will add it to our list.

• egerteregerter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you add a link to a webpage, the Edit Link dialog includes an option to have the link Open in a New Window or the Same Window.

If you add a document to a webpage, the Insert Document dialog does not include this option and always opens in the Same Window. It would be very convenient if this option were added here as well.

I currently have go into the HTML code and add a target=_blank attribute to the <A> tag manually for each document link, which is very error-prone. Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7