Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Control access level for specific gadget on a page - e.g. show some gadgets to specific membership levels only

Improving the process of restricting/allowing access to 1 screen.

Currently it is a complex process that often results in unanticipated results . . . or inability to properly configure that ultimately requires technical support. The process is not intuitive.

It is not easy to manage access to a gadget by membership level and/or group when a gadget is on a page that may or may not be restricted by membership level and/or group.

Allow setting permissions and access by membership levels and/or groups for pages, and for certain gadgets on one page. And make the selections obvious and intuitive so conflicting options can not be selected. Where options and/or conflicts exist the user should be presented with appropriate feedback for making informed selections E.g. Error messages or tips or tutorials or helpful information.

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

jgsijgsi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dale KoetkeDale Koetke shared a merged idea: Allow me to hide a gadget on a page  ·   · 
    rotaryerinrotaryerin shared a merged idea: restricted access on parts of page (instead of whole page)  ·   · 

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WebbrightWebbright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This site provides a great example of how content (such as a webinar) is only visible to members, yet the (landing) page is public: http://www.hci.org/content/webcasts

Harvard Business Review is another example of a site that restricts certain content to members while providing "teaser preview" to the public.

Voting on this feature on behalf of some of our clients and potential Wild Apricot clients who expressed interest in this behavior.

• Dale KoetkeDale Koetke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Evgeny, an important use case is that I have content that I want to reuse periodically. For instance only have a widget reminding members about an activity in the two weeks before the activity. As it is now, I need to re-write such content each time (or copy out the source, save it somewhere and paste in back in to a new widget -- way too many steps!)

• Dale KoetkeDale Koetke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if I could leave a gadget on a page, but hide it from the public, as a way of enabling me to easily bring it back when I want to. Now I need to completely re-create it.

• Keith RiceKeith Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Problem is that we would like a search gadget on the Home Page but unless I am mistaken the access levels for this page do not work the same as others. The gadget itself does not provide restrictions so it is visible to the public.

• DotCreativityDotCreativity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have a visibility option for the content gadget, as well as other gadgets where we can indicate whether the gadget will be shown to members, non-members, or everyone - similar to the page access settings.

The ability to choose visibility by membership level would be even better.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank for posting. It would help us evaluate this if you could describe a more detailed and specific example of how this would be used.

• rotaryerinrotaryerin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I would like to request that we be able to show members-only blocks of content (instead of whole pages).

For example, we may want everyone to see a page, but non-members to see content pieces A, B, and D, and members to see A, B, C and D when they log in.

This would be helpful in communicating different messages to different kinds of users.

Dot Net Nuke has this kind of functionality, in case that helps http://www.ace-dnn.com/knowledge-base/dnn-module-security-permissions.aspx

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7