Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Event Creation Should Allow No Date in Calendar [11793]

There are many times when we have a future event but not a date for it yet. We would like to still put this event in our events list but not be forced to put a date that will be wrong and misleading even if we put a comment DATE TO BE DETERMINED.

Thanks.

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve VeachSteve Veach shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • aebatty1aebatty1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has any work been done on this? I often know an event is in a specific month (I have one coming up in May and another in August - but a date hasn't been selected yet. I want them to show up in the list of other events, but I can't put them in there.

I would love a solution.

• Katie FritzKatie Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, missed your reply! We need people to pay for them. Currently we are posting the webinar as a normal event until it happens. Then after it takes place, we make the end date far in the future so the event stays open. When people pay, the recording link comes in the confirmation email. (http://cedam.info/resources/connect-share )

Another solution for us would be an option to keep registration open for past events. Then we could keep the real date/time on the webinars.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is tricky...how to display no-date events on the calendar?

have you considered using a subscription form instead? The subscription confirmation email could include the link(s) to recordings. Or do you need people to pay for them?

• Katie FritzKatie Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would use a "no date" feature to share recorded webinars. We are trying a model where people who miss a webinar can register later for the recording (sent in the confirmation email). We can't keep the original date, because then registration is closed, and a fake date is confusing.

• Kerrie-AnneKerrie-Anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Useful in my space as well - especially for those events where you are looking to get an expression of interest to try and work out some final details before you post the full details of the event.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are two aspects of this:

1) Allow to save events in the admin backend without requiring a date. This is relatively easy.

2) Allow to publish events without a date. The big question is then: where to display them in the calendar and where to place them in the list view (events are ordered by date). Registration for these events should also be automatically disabled.

• Steve VeachSteve Veach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting Questions Mr. Chief Apricot. :-)

So perhaps let's refine this a bit. We often know the month of a future event but we don't have the actual date because of event location and speaker logistics. It's rare that we don't at least know the month so perhaps that's a good general assumption for all Wild Apricot users.

Given this assumption, what we really need then perhaps are three options (just to cover all bases).

Option 1: When creating the event an admin may select the exact date (as currently forced)

Option 2: When creating the event an admin may select just a month

Option 3: When creating the event an admin may select no date.

If they select an exact date, they may open the event for registration if they want to of course as it currently behaves.

If they select either of the other two options, registration gets automatically disabled as you suggested, then:

If they select a "month only" the event gets listed by month order.

If they select "no date" the event gets listed in the order the events were created.

All events without dates get listed after events with exact dates or month only dates.

Listing events in the order they were created would potentially make sense for admins that have only a general idea of the "order" of upcoming events in the calendar year but don't even really know even the month of the events yet.

Example:

March 5th event

March 28th event

May event (month only)

June 15th event

August event (month only)

No date event 1

No date event 2

How would this work? Doesn't seem to complex to program unless I'm missing some programming interaction but of course, your programmers wouldn't miss it. :-)

• Steve VeachSteve Veach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is related but not quite the same IMO. I want to be able to post upcoming events with no date specified so people don't see a "fake date" and get confused. This is what I currently have to do with the current system, which is a work-around:

• NathanNathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am getting around this somewhat by editing the Events page and just inserting text about events that we do not yet have full details on.

It doesn't allow anyone to register, obviously, but until there is a date, most people won't register anyhow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7