Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Uploading documents and photos in forum and blog posts

Is it possible that you could correct the function of the forum and blog pages to not only allow someone to add a link, but also to add a document to the page?

What downfall is there in providing this function?

128 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James KerichJames Kerich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Supporters!

We are happy to inform you that we have started to develop the solution. We have prepared a presentation to make you understand what exactly we are developing and releasing this year, and what we will do next steps:
    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/15gIOfqylI7hEY3-czhHO-O5yD1QvAAsb33j8r6THJq8/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=5000

Key changes:
    1) Ability to attach files to post and comment
    2) reCAPTCHA
    3) Notification about new posts and comments for administrators by email.

Will be glad to hear your comments!

110 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Team CMSAdminTeam CMS (Website CMS and Themes, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, supporters. Thank you all for your feedback.
        Answering your questions, now captcha is enabled for public forum users and blogs by default, and for members it is option that can be configured in the security settings. Since we will do the moderation only in the next steps, in the nearest release we decided to help administrators fix spam that comes from public users and replace captcha with a more modern and protected one.

Release: we plan to publish the announced functionality in September-October.

File Type / Extension restrictions: now we have limitations on the type of files to upload (you can find complete list of supported file types on our help page: https://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Complete+list+of+supported+file+types ). In the first release, everything will remain the same. In the future, we will think about the possibility for administrators to make more serious restrictions.

• KozyinnKozyinn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm glad that WA is finally addressing this functionality. It is desperately needed by so many and I'll be anxiously awaiting the release!

• Stuart McClainStuart McClain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

File Type/Extension restrictions - I did not see anything in the 'demo' that indicates an administrator can restrict file uploads to certain file types.
        I would be concerned about allowing EXE or Docx files for example, only PDF and image files - but this should be selectable by the Admin as to what they do NOT want to allow

• Adam WittAdam Witt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally, thank you, any idea on ETA of release? Also, hopefully you won't get our hopes up again only to abandon development like last time.

• CVMG_webadminCVMG_webadmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whew! Long time coming but I think you've got it right, thanks. Some nice-to-haves:
        - make the use of Captcha optional by gadget, just as it is elsewhere on WA sites
        - make the maximum number of files that can be posted a setting for each gadget (I see max 20 files in the example and that seems too high for some applications)
        -

• VincentVincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very good, I like the new moderator role as well.
        Is tehre a need for Captcha or can it be disabled in small forums? Today we do not have any captcha in our forums and do not need that as they are not public :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So glad to hear you are finally implementing this basic functionality to blog and forum posts. I have several clients that will thank you as well. Most are using other platforms for this function and now will be able to use WA.

• TracyTracy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE MOVE FORWARD WITH UPLOAD IMAGE FUNCTION!! people, I even sent them source code to use all they have to do is embed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        copy and paste. just a few minutes of their time. I'm beginning to wonder if there is just one person behind the scenes and no developers at all. Is that right Dimitry??

• Liz GibsonLiz Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE!!!!!!!! stop delaying this functionality! This is so standard in other membership software, and it is hard to justify to my clients to use WA when they can get this kind of standard communications ability elsewhere.... We are a world of social networking and sharing. It's renders forums to be pretty useless these days without this.
        Thank you!

• Matt D'ErcoleMatt D'Ercole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most forums allow for images to be added by all users posting. Currently, only admins have the rights to post images in forum discussions. This would be such a huge benefit for our organization. The prototype looks great. Please put this on the "Work In Progress" list.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be extremely helpful if my members could add images to blog posts. Currently have to send images to the Admin who then has to create the blog post for them with images. We currently use the blog posts for "news" and frequently the news blog must have images included.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be a very appropriate addition, and something that every other forum I belong to allows. You should set a maximum size of file that non-administrators can add, or allow the administrator to set the limit.

• Iyman MusaIyman Musa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My club is using the Forum section as a classified section on the site, and adding pictures is key.
        please let us know when the Picture function will be available.

• rwta.wildapricot.orgrwta.wildapricot.org commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointing to hear that work on this has been postponed.
        I guess I will start looking for an external forum to replace the built in version. No longer a all-in-one platform for us.

• Tony WoodTony Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to request this functionality too. It would enable our members to share information much better. Initially, we just need the facility for the person creating a topic to be able to include an attachment and other people to open it in their browser and/or download.

• KozyinnKozyinn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add my vote for this functionality as well. Since membership website are all about communication it seems to be a large disadvantage to limit our members in what they are able to share.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base