Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Add moderation of new forum posts

Current behavior:
All posts and replies are published immediately (subject to the user having appropriate access rights on the particular forum)

Desired behavior:
Ability to moderate posts/comments

Implementation ideas:

- Administrator can specify whether forum should be moderated or not (maybe by each membership level?)
- Administrator can assign moderators
- All new posts/replies according to settings go into moderation list
- Moderators receive notices (probably option: each message/daily digest)
- Moderators have online list of messages to be moderated and can approve/reject/edit them
- once approved, message is displayed.

27 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anji TaylorAnji Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello!

Is there any status on implementing moderation of forums? Even though our forums will only be available to members, moderation is very important when you have members with differing opinions (particularly in an election year...) and not being able to moderate will likely make it so that we aren't able to take advantage of the functionality.

• Phil PiferPhil Pifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For public forums, CAPTCHA helps but doesn't stop the flow of bogus posts by Asian search marketing firms. I am tired of deleting these garbage posts (and it is extremely slow to delete them). I have now turned off public posting access - but this is a shame. As a civic organization we would like to allow public posts on certain topics. Curated posting would allow us to do that.

• Constance HeinzenConstance Heinzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization also wishes to have the ability to assign moderators to facilitate the posts/comments to member forums. Many times the questions posted can be easily answered by the moderators instead of bothering all of the members.

• mgilbertpamgilbertpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We feel it is very important that the moderators have a chance to review/reject/approve comments before they are posted. thank you.

• Keith RiceKeith Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strongly agree with this. We need forums but don't want them behaving like a blog where postings can cause unneeded dissension and angst

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Anne, sorry, the timeline is not clear yet - we have two releases in the works (4.4 and 5.0) and until we release them (4.4 in June, 5.0 in the fall) we would not be able to schedule this task.

• Anne_KAnne_K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[quote user="Chief_Apricot"]

Current behavior:
        All posts and replies are published immediately (subject to the user having appropriate access rights on the particular forum)

Desired behavior:
        Ability to moderate posts/comments

Implementation ideas:

- Administrator can specify whether forum should be moderated or not (maybe by each membership level?)
        - Administrator can assign moderators
        - All new posts/replies according to settings go into moderation list
        - Moderators receive notices (probably option: each message/daily digest)
        - Moderators have online list of messages to be moderated and can approve/reject/edit them
        - once approved, message is displayed.

[/quote]

Hello Apricots!
        First off, I really do love your software. Secondly, any idea on when forums will be able to be moderated? It would be perfect if I had the ability to approve/reject messages, that way I could reject any spam messages.

Thanks
        Anne

• DawnDawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would it be possible to include in this implementation the ability to close a topic?

I would like to close a topic and keep people from posting to it, but not delete it entirely and lose the posts that were made.

• TradeNewsTradeNews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, please! ALL of my clients request the ability to moderate forums and blogs. Would be great if this feature could be released sooner than later...

Ian, unfortunately we ended up investing much more time into financial module and some other features so this has been postponed. It is still on our roadmap but for now there is no specific timeline for it.

• iantiant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add our vote to this one - the basic implementation as you outlined back in May 2008 would be a great start.

As we near 2011 is there any sign of this moving to the roadmap and being scheduled for development?

Regards,
        Ian
        worthing and adur chamber of commerce

David,

We had to focus on a bunch of other modules this year before we could tackle the forum. I expect us to address this within 2011 (more precise timeline is not defined yet)

• Lynda ChidellLynda Chidell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been two years since Chief Apricot posted implementation ideas. Am I going to see moderation implemented within my lifetime? ;-)

• maryrobinettemaryrobinette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May I add to the request the ability to move a post that is in the wrong thread or forum? Merging threads when the same topic is in two different places would also be handy.

• n8barbern8barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this!

The implementation suggested is exactly how we would like forum moderation to occur.

• jerrylanejohnsjerrylanejohns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for investigating ways to provide this functionality.

I recommend that we provide an easily implemented level of functionality. If an org needs "rich" functionality like a google group, etc., other avenues would probably be better options.

For communicating rapidly and easily with a group of members, simply emailed postings are perfect.

Here are two suggestions regarding the issues you mentioned:

1) When someone emails a post, send a verification email to the email addressed on the message. A valid sender would click a link in the email to verify that the email was real. Once validated, the other processes, such as moderation, etc., could occur.

2) I believe that "plain ascii" text could be a valid way to handle emailed postings. If someone needs to have formatting, they could log into the site and format/post the message online. One thought is that URL's in the emailed post could be retained to faciliate web navigation. Furthermore, you could include the message to be posted in the verification email. If someone did not like the way it looks after conversion to plain text, they could either revise their email and send it again or log into the forum directly.

For example, I receive an email from the local theatre. It is plain text, but has a link to their website. I forward that to the forum's email address. WA sends me a verification email, which includes my posting. It looks fine. I click on the link to verify the posting and the forum rules take over from there.

Another example, I receive the same email, but it is in HTML format. I forward it to the forum email address. WA scrubs it and sends it back in verification email. The message is difficult to read in ascii format, so I simply delete the email. WA drops the posting since it doesn't hear back from me and it never appears in the forum as a posting.

3) Disregard attachments on emailed posting.

This is indeed a very common request and we have been investigating ways to address it.

Two major hurdles yet to overcome:

1) Reliably parsing emails from different systems in different formats to create a nice tidy forum post

2) Spam prevention - anyone can fake an email as coming from 'obama@whitehouse.gov'. How do we avoid spammers flooding the forum through this hole (if they find it)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7