Members to be able to submit events
Not supported, only administrators can create events.
Members have the ability to submit simple events which can be approved by administrators.
We’ve extended the ‘Event calendar’ gadget settings by adding a new option ‘Members-driven events’ – allows members to submit their events from the calendar page by using a simple form.
We’ve also included a few features to help you organize and restrict these events. These changes are:
1) Restrict the submitting events option to specific members
2) Automatically assign tags to these events so you have easily include/exclude them from various calendars
3) Options to send a confirmation email to the submitter and or administrator
4) Separate filter in Event list for administrator to show Members events
5) Members that submit events can access a list of the events they’ve submitted to view, edit and delete them
Excluded for now:
1) No options to submit events with advanced registration options. Only minimal details, like Title, Description, Dates and Location. However an administrator can add additional details after the event has been submitted.
2) No approval workflow for administrators. We realize this is an important consideration for the publication content on public website, but our current approach assumes that trusting members of certain levels should be enough to prevent abuse. .
Bob, for now I created a Jotform (free at jotform.com) and then used Jotform's embed feature to embed the form on a members-only page on our site. I put a link to the form on the page that displays our calendar. The Jotform emails the submission to me and then I create the event. It's not ideal, but it does give the member a standardized information collection format and let's me track and respond to the submissions.
Differently a top feature I would like seen added, get multiple requests each month from members for us to add one of their events. Would be great to just point them to a simple form and email sent to Event Manager asking for approval.
Hope to see in next release if possible.
Rick Smith commented
Please, Please, Please, Please?
We have been waiting and waiting and waiting and this is not even on the 'Working On' list ???
We very much would like this feature for our membership site, it is a key activity for members to be able to submit their own events
This would be a really fantastic idea as so many charities are community driven. Would be excited to see this one in place!
Thanks so much
Sarah, I wish I can provide some expectations, but we decided long time ago not to do so - we had been breaking our promises enough. So, I'm sorry - I cannot provide any estimates.
When our events module development team is about to start working on it, they will post it here and you will receive a notification - this one I can promise.
Green Tea commented
Currently I get emails all week (mostly from non-members) asking me to post an event on our site. I would love to direct them to a link where they could fill in the information themselves, upload a flyer / picture with a restricted size file and submit the event for our approval. Upon approving the event we should be allowed to make changes to the description.
I want a tab like this "submit your event" in the link below on my website so that I don't have to do all of this time consuming work as a volunteer.
very much hoping this functionality will be implemented soon! We have an immediate need for it in our organization and it would provide immediate value to our community. Any idea which release it might go into?
Sarah Bateman commented
Any update as to a timeline for members to post events?
Not yet, but we are actively working on our roadmap. So as soon as we do have a firm timeline for this and other features, an updated will be posted here.
Sacramento Valley-Bears commented
So, Is there a timeline for this? My people are clamoring to be able to submit their events to our organizations calendar...
Rick Smith commented
Perfect. We are getting ready to move our main site to WA. We have multiple senior centers that have calendars of activities. We use caledarwiz now but the interface to the site is pretty basic.
Wa calendars are perfect but the administrator of each site needs to be able to maintain thier own calendar. We also then could add on line registration for center events.
This proposal would work will. When will it be ready?
Monroe, thanks for the comment. From my perspective, this is something to be analyzed and designed together with the post I merged yours into - allow members to submit their own events. I understand there is a difference between your idea and this one, but they are very connected by meaning and should be analyzed together.
Monroe Mann commented
While I hate Meetup, they do have one thing going for them: they allow the event creator to designate an event host from the membership roster. This event host is listed as the first person attending the event (so there is never an 'empty' event listed). This host then has the ability to interact with that particular event, and this person becomes the contact person for the event.
Usually, I would choose myself as the host, and I'd choose a member as the event co-host. When I had many different events, it made my life a lot easier.
The only way to do this now is to manually add someone to the event, and manually write that this person is the event host in the event details. But members should, at a glance, be able to know who the event host is. And it should be a lot easier for admin's to designate this host.
When is this going to be available? It is badly needed in my organization.
Allow members & non-members to submit events, and offer workflow for Event Manager or Admin to approve/post for public viewing.
Is this close to being implemented?
My members are getting anxious for this. I see this was first brought up in 2008.
Automatically assigning tags is a very good addition as administrators can do a lot with simple tag assignments. However I do think that you need more data entry validation on the member event submission forms:
1) I would look at allowing administrators to define fields associated with events, just as you do with contacts/members. Similarly I would allow a pop-up lists/check boxes, etc. to be set up for these fields.
2) Similarly I would allow for pop-up lists/checkboxes that would map directly to preset tags. I would do this particularly if your reject my proposal 1) above. At least the existing tag field could be used to hold a significant amount of information.
3) More importantly I suggest allowing administrators to restrict the dates and times on the calendar UI itself to one or more sets of date and times with each set of dates and times being associated with a unique tag as defined by an administrator.
Our conference hosts 400 event sessions in three days. Each event happens in one of five departments and all events use a cross-convention time block system to regularize how our members schedule their activities. Each time block and department has a program code.
It's too bad that you are delaying the approval workflow but this is still tremendous progress!
When are you planning to implement this? LOVE the ability for members to submit events!!! I vote YES.
Calendar of Events (not just my events) Ability to post events being held by members