Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Customization options for non-tech savvy clients

All the other parts of WA are superb but I just cannot get the website appearance up to the standard of our existing website.

So maybe get lots of 3rd party developers with good graphic design skills to sell pre-made, professional themes ?

Also a lot more help needed to customize existing themes and layouts.

WA will be a killer app if this can be addressed.

50 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Biz55Biz55 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: allow me to easily change background image on page template  ·   · 
    Kim SkimmonsKim Skimmons shared a merged idea: Simple way to make site wider  ·   · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TabathaTabatha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a must. It really really irritates me how narrow the page is. Especially now a days with everyone having wide screen monitors.

I wish we were able to adjust the background images and colors directly from the template. Allow for it to be more drag/drop/ user friendly. Some pages you have different templates and might want a different background. Or you may want to have your events page look one way and forms another. Right now all changes apply to everything.

I agree I really need the ability to widen my site. It drives me nuts that it is so narrow.

• AlexSirotaAlexSirota commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few observations we've had. Many customers come to us with an existing WordPress website wanting to integrate Wild Apricot into their site. They recognize the limitations of the WA design capabilities out of the box. It's quite interesting too because WordPress plugins and themes have a ton of capability and it is very likely that Wild Apricot like functionality can be assembled with lots of benefits.

Yet, they don't want to do that or invest in the exploration and testing required. There are just a lot of gaps and unknowns.

The Wild Apricot current theme functionality is actually quite mature. With theme overrides there appears to be almost a limitless set of capabilities, but there is one thing that really scares me:

Theme overrides override an existing theme. Once that theme is updated the override is probably totally separate from the underlying theme.

It would be ideal to build a stock theme built specifically for theme design. Then open a theme library where themes can be put into a marketplace. Some are free. Some are premium. Some start free go to premium. This theme development system in WordPress is one of the primary reasons WordPress has gotten so big -- that and the plugins of course.

I think Wild Apricot is quite close to that but the marketplace and ecosystem has to be developed with some marketing push from WA. I hope you consider this for a future effort. Your partners can help kick start this process.

ps. Custom WA theme designs right now cost $5000+ -- this is totally out of the range for investment for most WA customers unless they don't have an existing site and the current designs are not "worthy."

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES PLEASE! The themes are so outdated. I am dying to change our website but we simply don't have the budget for a custom design. I LOVE wildapricot and I'd be so grateful for updated themes. Especially some with image options that spread across the entire page.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

within the limits my patience, i cannot figure out how to change the background image on a template. i imagine it should be trivial like template/select/edit/background/fileselect/browse/ choose/OK. apparently it is not. help.

• Ian Beecher-JonesIan Beecher-Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new functionality of WA is awesome, but i just can't use any of the templates provided. Unless i get a graphic designer in to modify them for me i'm totally stuffed.

Please, please can you make it easier for the formatting of styles and templates. I have corporate colours i have to use for menues and headers etc and it's so difficult to use them in the new format.

Thanks

• MergeMerge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very handy if we could define a width in the "colours and styles" area.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been doing a lot of thinking and now in planning stages of redesiging our website engine to provide more customizable templates and will try to account for this aspect.

• Kim SkimmonsKim Skimmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to have a simple way (e.g., in the "Customize colors and styles (Beta)" function) to specify the width of the site. Most templates seem to have a width of 919px. My clients often want a wider site and I have to add a bunch of custom CSS to make it happen. A simple fill-in-the-box width field would be really great. Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7