emails in log should display text as-sent, not macros
I've noticed that after certain changes (deletion of an invoice, or merging of contacts for example), the text of the associated e-mails in the log changes to reflect the change made in the database. It would be much more helpful for us to see the actual text, as-sent.
Steven Reames commented
We have discovered that apparently when we send an event registration email that the data which shows up in the Email Log will reflect the current registration data NOT an actual copy of what was sent.
For example, a person registers for an event for say 6 tickets, but later goes back and edits it to 3 tickets. If you look at what is represented in the audit log of the initial email confirmation, it will display the edited (current) amount of tickets, not the actual amount sent originally.
For an audit log to be true by time/date stamp, it needs to reflect actual/at-the-time of what was actually done, not the most up to date version.
Dave Reed commented
Adding my support for this. I was troubleshooting a membership issue using the details in the email log. I was confused when the email log showed a member's current renewal date instead of the renewal date that was true as of the day the email was sent.
Rick K commented
Knowing that dates in emails could be variable, I inadvertently sent out an email with the wrong date for an event. In my test email I ignored the wrong date that I saw forgetting it was not in a macro. Very frustrating.
Nalini Thite commented
The email log should show the actual replaced text and not the original macros. In the log, the admin should be able to see exactly what text was sent to the user.
Ruud Veltman commented
A log that shows something else than what was send is useless; worse, it is misleading. This is something that should be changed a.s.a.p.
Ates Gurcan commented
I'm fully in support of this change request. The way it's implemented now doesn't really serve any practical purpose.
Evgeny Zaritovskiy commented
I understand, but we simply cannot immediately change it. For now, I do not see a lot of requests related to this specific problem comparing to other things, so I cannot push this over higher priority items currently in our development roadmap.
Becky Parsons commented
Agree with this. Emails sent should reflect the actual data, not the macro. I recently changed one of the donation radio button categories, because the prior donation category no longer exists. However, now when I look back at the list of donations, all those prior donations now include the "new" radio button name. This is just flat incorrect - it doesn't accurately reflect what really happened. Perhaps this is more of a "flaw" that needs to be corrected, rather than a wishlist item. Nevertheless, this needs immediate attention.
I just noticed this problem last week when trying to figure out some other issues my client is having. I think that this is a no-brainer and changes to the database should not affect / change email log records. If a members renewal date is updated then all of the past emails leading up to the current renewal that were sent will now display the new renewal date. This defeats the purpose of having logs of past emails.