Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Validate e-mail addresses

Member registration does not validate emails. This is an extra concern for sites like ours where members can join for free. Anyone can make up an email address, or worse impersonate someone else. Once an email is used, it cannot be used by another person, even if the first person is not the owner of the address and the second person is.

Please consider adding an email validation check that sends an email and requires the applicant to use a code that was emailed (or click a link).

18 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gary CGary C shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Linda ElseyLinda Elsey shared a merged idea: Re-confirm peoples email address when registering as a member or an event.  ·   · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Linda ElseyLinda Elsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There has been a couple of incidents where people joining our association or registering for an event have incorrectly typed their email address, can a functionality be added for re confirming their email address. The was a person who had registered for an event but had incorrectly type their email address, and missed all the correspondence hence missed the event as well.

• Rob GillRob Gill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this to the form fields. It is critical to submitted members' data. When will this feature be added to Wild Apricot? It is long overdue.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dmitry,
        It is awesome to see your vision grow!
        These are great changes and if you can incorporate automatic registrations for event attendees that will close the gap! What we do is when someone registers we convert them to a visitor so your change to register only once is a plus!
        Years ago we spoke of email validation, we continue to get bad emails so if you can implement a verify email that compares to first email many will save time and calls in attempts to fix the email. It should have a protective feature where you cannot copy or past or autofill the second email. The clients we work with work hard to manage an accurate data base and this consideration would be a welcome one by all.
        Albert R. Renteria
        Chairman and CEO
        TheARRC.com
        A Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business
        Benevolent Organization supporting Veterans
        Chief Warrant Officer-4, U.S. Marine Corps (Retired)
        Southwest Veterans' Business Resource Center
        Founder and CEO
        www.WhereCommunitiesServeVeterans.org®
        Service Never Ends for a Marine!

• darilyn10darilyn10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yes please. I'm so tired of finding bounced emails because someone transposed letters when inputting their email address on sign up.

PLEASE add email validation!!

• Dave WallerDave Waller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the same way that an applicant must retype their email address to create a user account in order to become a member and contribute to this forum, we need this feature in Wild Apricot.

I also see that other forum posts have asked for the email verification feature (an email is sent so that the applicant must respond by clicking on an embedded link in order to self-activate the user account), which is also incorporated into the user community sign-up process.

Wild Apricot clearly benefits from the usefulness of these features for its own user community function, its time to see it within the Wild Apricot infrastructure.

Our website ends up with duplicate contacts and members, and the resulting confused event registrations, because of mis-typed email addresses. The verification feature would help. Please add a "re-type your email address" field to the subscription form!

• wpsscwpssc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you validate email addresses, the workaround use of dummy email addresses for members who do not have an email address will no longer work.

• Chris CavanaughChris Cavanaugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! A verification for email address input would be a great feature to prevent mistyping! Love to see it!

• Kerrie-AnneKerrie-Anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given that email address is the primary identifier for contacts, I also think that email verification field is also warranted - I get loads of people signing up with incorrect email addresses - sometimes I can guess what it should be and change it when I receive the bounceback, but I can't always anticipate what the error is... it means I miss out on potential leads as a result.

• payahpayah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am new to this and I am still setting up the database, so I have not actually used the system yet. My issue is as follows:

When a new member signs on, they have to provide their e-mail address. Since this is a very critical piece of information, is there is way for us to know if this e-mail address is erroneous? i.e., when the system automatically sends a confirmation to the member and the address is erroneous, is there a way for the admin to know this?

I think one of the ways to avoid the problem of errors in e-mail addresses is to add a second e-mail address field. The member will thus have to repeat the address so that the system can detect any inconsistency before it is submitted.

• Richard GaspaRichard Gaspa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did not know the checking of email address were not being checked. This would be a requirement for my site. I am glad you brought this to my attention. Is this feature working now?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7