Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Tags for blog

Yes i ditto that--we need to have tags available for our blog posts. This is a basic feature of blogs now that greatly improve the user experience as well as one to rank in google for keywords/tags.

102 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

jseville shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pindar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both tag cloud and categories are absolutely necessary for any blog. For an example see the open source blog app BlogEngine.Net

I realize that WA has limited resources and the CMS system has taken priority, but I would hope that once the new release has been completed you will give your blogs a little more TLC. Blogs are a great way to provide news to members and to get feedback with comments. If this info cannot be properly organized and accessed it is effectively lost!

• gljudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[quote user="Apricot Kernel"]

Can you please elaborate this? How would you use categories and tags, what is the difference between them for you and why you need them both? This would help us to design it properly (when we are ready for this)

[/quote]

Categories are topics and tags help break the topics down into micro-topics.

We don't have a lot of posts right now, in part because of the limited functionality of the Wild Apricot blog. However, I'm currently writing an ongoing series of "A Peek Behind the Curtain" posts that cover the daily life and processes of our Board of Directors. It would be nice to be able to categorize them as (for instance) "behind the curtain" and then tag them by Board position. That way someone could find all the posts in the series, AND/OR could also filter them according to which Board role they were specifically interested in.

That's just one example.

To summarize a bit further, if one's bloga s a whole is comparable to a book on a particular subject, then the different chapter topics equate to categories, and the sub-sections within (and potentially across) chapters equate to tags.

Does that help?

• Evgeny Zaritovskiy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[quote user="gljudson"]CATEGORIES and tags - not just tags - really are a requirement for any sort of serious blog. When can we expect this?[/quote]

Can you please elaborate this? How would you use categories and tags, what is the difference between them for you and why you need them both? This would help us to design it properly (when we are ready for this)

• Dmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, it would be later than that - our main focus for the next ~6 months is to finish the CMS redesign in version 5 so we are putting everything else aside.

• MGelwicks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the blog tag/search function be addressed in 2012, or early 2013? This would be a very useful tool for many of my client websites as we use the blog feature more and more.

• Patty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have begun to use the blog more often. It seems that we need to have a way to tag / categtorize the blog.

If it is not going to happen? How do we patch in wordpress or blogspot in order to keep our blogging moving forward? Any suggestions would be apprecited,

Thanks

• gljudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CATEGORIES and tags - not just tags - really are a requirement for any sort of serious blog. When can we expect this?

• Joe McClary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely need blog tags as we need the organization to easily find articles of interest as quick as possible.

• Evgeny Zaritovskiy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No updates yet, sorry. Though thanks for sharing details about usage scenario - we always appreciate such details, they help us to design and prioritize requests.

• Home_Performance_WA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on the expected delivery date for a tagging feature in blog pages?

My organization uses a blog page to update our members on everything from new legislation to job openings to industry news. We need a way to sort our posts so that people can find what they're looking for without digging back through the whole blog history.

Thanks!

Tiernan

• Rgmacr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope this is on the agenda soon! This is an important feature for any serious blog! I would add that categories would be more attractive than tags if there must be a choice. Organization really helps the value of a blog in addition to seo benefits!!

• ArmelleL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

key feature for the blog module, is this part of your 2011 goals? any changes on the blog module planned this year?

• si177on commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[quote user="jtshuler"]Need to be able to tag individual blog posts and also have Popular Tags like WA has on the right and the ability to browse all tags (also like you have on the right)
    [/quote]

Yes, www.ikms.org would like to have blog information organisation features like tags and categories. Static information on our website is pretty well covered by the existing navigation and content pages bundle (thanks for making this usable), but more dynamic content such as announcements and resources need a proper information organisation solution as they grow over time. Apart from tags, it's also useful to have a chronological navigation.

• jtshuler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be able to tag individual blog posts and also have Popular Tags like WA has on the right and the ability to browse all tags (also like you have on the right)

• Dmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So you mean the system would analyze the content of the post and try to auto-tag it based on the words it contains? I am not aware of any technology which can do this reliably at the moment, have you come across any good implementations?

Feedback and Knowledge Base