Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Importing: skip existing contacts

Would be very nice to have an option to ignore existing contacts when importing, rather than allowing records to be updated. So that only unrecognised end up being created as new contacts. This is important when importing from lists where the quality of personal information data might not be as good as what already pre-exists in the database. (Esp for people who are members).

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

mmudsmmuds shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Larry KillerLarry Killer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm totalling in agreement with this. I just went through the process of importing 3000+ contacts into our database so that we could send out emails to them. a little over 100 of those contacts were already paying members. When I import the contacts I set them to membership level ZZ-Needs Assigned. When I imported my list those that were already members were over-written on the membership category. Once I realized my mistake (luckily I had a recent backup) I had to go in and change back the membership level. Of course that also changed the Renewal Due date and the membership status level. At a minimum a warning box should pop up stating that you are about to overwrite existing data and ask if you want to proceed or not. That would have least warned me that I had duplicates.

• webmasterwebmaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be very helpful for our organization as well. Currently we have a painstakingly task of manually doing this. As our membership roll has grown this has become more tedious.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7