Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Log of changes - who deleted a contact, registration, or changed data

Is there a way to find out which admin deleted or changed a contact registration or details.

For example we have an event which a company registered their attendees and paid online. One of the admins deleted the registration. Is there a way to find out which admin deleted that contact?

If this is not available could is possibly be added in the future? I like the fact that the 4.0 service will allow read only admin access which will help with this issue but I am still curious which of my admins deleted that contact.

Regards,

Alma AYala

68 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

THSOA shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Woody35 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have one organization in WA and want to bring in another, but tracking changes is a must have especially for a not-for-profit corporation.

• MikeW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's another vote. This has been top complaint about WA in general. Yes, it is important to to be able to determine who deleted a contact or registration, but on a more abstract level, each and every change (insert, update, delete) that leads to the "current" set of information should be available to allow a complete transactional history of contacts, members, event sign ups, payments, ...

Here is an example of what I should be able to extract from the database:

List in chronological order all transactions for member x to include date their membership record was created, changes to membership status, membership invoices created, membership payment entered, .....

I've been involved with the development of online database systems for many years. All systems that I am familiar with fall into one of three categories:

1. System builds a transaction from user input and then applies it to the "current" records and keeps the transactions around as a complete history of how the "current" record got to its current state.

2. System uses user input to update the "current" record without first building transactions. The only history are any fields that on the "current" records such as "member record creation date". This is typically done by people who have no database experience and do things buy a copy of Microsoft Access and create a Members table to track their members.

3. System uses user input to update the "current" record as in number 2 above and also writes some basic information to a log file which is better that number 2 but not a robust as number 1.

So, I would like to know which of these WA is doing and hopefully if it's number one or number 3 I'd like an explanation why you won't make it available. Do you not have the transactional data to share, do you think your customers are not smart enough to use the data, are you afraid you competitors will somehow use this to your disadvantage, do you not have enough staff to implement?

Based on the thread, it appears that people have been asking for some time for this ability. Have you taken any action to "test the waters" or are you just relying on the number of people that post here?

• Vicky Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the reply. We did have Event changes in Admin (photos replaced, addresses changed), also photos in Board of Directors page replaced. Under Dashboard in Admin, the Organization Details page was changed, listing a name of one of our officers and their data. Is there a way to see who changed this page? Thank you so much for your help with this, Vicky, Past President, ATD Florida Suncoast Chapter

• kolarsmmj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical enhancement. Right now we only have a few admins, with one person making most of the changes. We are all volunteer, so we want to add more admins to spread out the work, but we are concerned that when something gets changed that shouldn't have, we wouldn't be able to figure out who, when, and how.

• Anita Passionista commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the Past President of the Central Florida chapter, I, too, would love a feature like this that tracks or keeps a log of whoever made any changes to the site, to events, to contacts, to registration. This would a huge help with any auditing processes we may do. Thank you!

• nickelkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to see something like this. We have so many administrators within our group that I'd love to know who made changes to certain things. Thank you!

• AdminEvgeny Zaritovskiy (Product Manager, Wild Apricot by Personify) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Clara, welcome!

You just did it - your comment to this post is considered as a vote for this feature. As I mentioned before, posts with 10 and more votes in them will go into our roadmap at some point - see http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8827717-roadmap-2015-plans-releases-expected-dates for details.

• Clara Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am new to the community and not seeing a way to leave a comment on this subject except reply to you :)

We would love to have this feature for our chapter... there have been some concerns and we need to ability to see who is making what changes.

What can we do as a chapter to request this feature?

Thanks,

Clara Rose

• Vicky Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ASTD Florida Suncoast Chapter has had numerous unauthorized changes to documents on the website and no way to discover who made the change, the date or the time the change was made. Most systems have a logging feature built into the website to track all incoming http and ftp traffic. This allows users to get a date time stamp to associate with these 'changes' and a user ID associated with this transaction. We need this ability to be able to track/discover who is making unauthorized changes to posted information to members on the website. I notice other users are requesting this same tracking ability. Please let us know when this feature may be available and thank you.

• AdminEvgeny Zaritovskiy (Product Manager, Wild Apricot by Personify) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the comment. It also goes well with the similar one about events - http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825932-track-who-adds-an-event-10137

We still do not have enough votes here yet (we decided to focus on ones that have 10 or more people commented - see http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8827717-roadmap-2015-plans-releases-expected-dates ), but I personally find this idea very important and I would really appreciate if other people would comment here so we can prioritize it higher.

• Sparkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently evaluating WildApricot and I have to strongly agree with Becky. I'm surprised that a system such as this, where there is the potential for multiple people to change a lot of data, does not have a simple activity log of changes.

The log does not need to be elaborate (and arguably shouldn't be), but does need to identify the field changed, by whom and when. The nice to have beyond that would be the old value before the change.

I would love to see this feature in the Roadmap so that WildApricot gets a qualified tick in that box rather than a cross.

Cheers

• Becky Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm thinking of abbreviated history info, not too much detail. For example, a listing that can be searched by date range, admin name, account name, webpage name, and a short 2 or 3 words about the action taken, such as:

Date Admin Account/Web Page Action Taken

6/14/2013 Sue Jones Sam Smith, contact #101234 Email changed
        6/15/2013 Bob Taff Issues, web page #96878 Revised
        6/16/2013 Sue Jones Pete Green, member #68445 New membership
        6/16/2013 Sue Jones Pete Green, member #68445 Pmt posted
        6/16/2013 Sue Jones Grace Sims, contact #32198 Donation deleted
        6/17/2013 Bob Taff About Us, web page #36721 Revised
        6/17/2013 Sue Jones Rose Miller, member #50922 Mbr Renewal, invoice
        6/17/2013 Sue Jones Rose Miller, member #50922 Pmt posted
        6/17/2013 Tom Davis Ben Brown, member #99622 Mbr Renewal, no invoice
        6/17/2013 Sue Jones Mary Adams, contact #101675 New contact

With a list like this it would be easy to scan and identify areas to investigate. In this case, the assumption is that Bob Taff can make web page changes. The areas to check would be the actions on Grace Sims' account (why was a donation deleted?) and Ben Brown's account (why was a membership renewed without payment?).

Or, simply a static list that can be exported to Excel for sorting.

Becky Parsons

• Dmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Becky, there are different ways to track database history depending on the intended usage. What would really help us is a a detailed example of a couple of situations of how this might be used in your organization.

• Becky Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm adding to a thread that is 2 years old. But this triggers a question I've had in my mind for a long time.

Wild Apricot is the only software system I've experienced that has no history of database changes. When there are several people who can access the database, or just to identify a mistake, it is valuable to have such a history.

We should be able to search the database history by: admin name, change date range, contact/member name, contact account number.

Feedback and Knowledge Base