Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

peninsulashopspeninsulashops shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Peter OttePeter Otte shared a merged idea: seo-friendly url's to individual member profile pages  ·   · 

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • devrapdevrap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My client, too (currently evaluating the software) needs this as a feature to offer members. The current site they're using offers it, so while membership self-mgt. is otherwise far superior and easy to use in W.A. than their current system.--to move to WA would be a serious downgrade to them if they can't maintain that feature for members.

Definitely same w/SEO indexing, which I've commented on separately in a different thread...

Many thanks.

• Evgeny aka Apricot KernelAdminEvgeny aka Apricot Kernel (Product Manager, Wild Apricot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a dedicated thread on Search Engine Optimization of Member Directory (and this members profile) - http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8826142-seo-improve-member-directory-indexing-by-search . I would appreciate your posts there on that topic.

The problem is that the way directory is implemented does not allow search crawlers to index it and thus to make it available in search engines. This is in our radar but we have no exact dates when it's going to be implemented.

• kchaykakchayka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We moved our site to Wild Apricot several months ago. One of the draws was improved member management, but one of the expectations was improved search engine indexing of member lists (by state) and individual member pages, as our association competes with others nationally. We are still not seeing member lists or pages show up in search results, and it is a huge disappointment. Members are complaining they are not getting their money's worth with this service.

What can we do short term to improve search engine indexing, and what is Wild Apricot planning for the longer term?

http://www.personalchefscooperative.com

• fruitbatfruitbat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our admins would greatly appreciate fields to add custom URLs and page titles to member profile pages. This, in addition to the presence of an xml site map for bots to crawl, would greatly improve potential for member pages SEO and visibility in SERPs.

Currently the page title is identical for all members and the query string in a member's profile URL has no human readability for identifying a member by name. Human readable taxonomy in page titles and URLs is critical in this day and age. SEO, today, is much more than building a network of links across the internet.

• fruitbatfruitbat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to see this, too. Generally we use mod_rewrite on other CMSes to accomplish it (though I certainly don't mean to oversimplify matters).

In addition we would also like to specify custom page titles for SEO. All of our members want to be not only indexed, but indexed well :) !

• anonymous_206.223.175.10anonymous_206.223.175.10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, you could set up a type of mask to automatically generate the custom field name: For example, all membership profile could be set so that it generates it from the fields "organization-firstname -lastname"

• anonymous_206.223.175.10anonymous_206.223.175.10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently:
        All member profiles (public or member-only) have their own URL. However, it's a long URL and not very friendly looking.

Desried
        At present we have a way to create a custom URL for individual pages on the site. This functionality could be offered to Member profiles. Any time a member has selected to show their profile, give them a field where they can enter a custom URL for their page. This functionality would also exist on the Contact card, under the Privacy settings for the member.

So, for example, lets say I have a site http://www.usefulapricot.com, as a member I could create my custom URL to be http://www.usefulapricot.com/gvalentino. People who enter that URL on their own browsers would be taken directly to my profile.

Note:

* Names would be unique - if someone entered a name that was already taken, they would have to choose a new one.
        * If the member's profile is member only, anyone clicking on the URL will have to enter their login credentials before going to the profile

• Peter OttePeter Otte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see seo-friendly url's to individual member profile pages.

For example, a member profile on my directory currently looks like this and is very hard to remember and even harder for search engines to identify and recognize:

http://www.sbartistdirectory.com/Sys/PublicProfile/11989142/1701358

It would be much better if the url looked something like this because individuals and search engines would be able to find it and therefore it would easier to promote:

http://www.sbartistdirectory.com/artists/nancygifford

Thank you, Dmitry, for suggesting that I post this to your wishlist forum.

Peter Otte

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7