Improve UX for completing multiple payments / need for additional product categories for shop
When people want to pay for multiple events, they have to re-enter their payment details, deterring them from registering at multiple events and/or register as a member
Why does this problem occur?
Events are set up as a workaround for having one-time purchases. The shop is not used because the items sold are not physical goods--people are buying ad placements in a journal.
From this, we can see that there are two main problems:
- need for a way to streamline multiple payments
- shop needs a way to sell non-physical goods / services
Possible solutions (though as product managers, it's best to always consider what problem you're solving and not get attached to a specific solution):
- use a cart metaphor for the shopping experience so people only need to pay once they are done selecting items they want
- add way for shop to suggest related products and/or bundles
- add way to sell membership in shop
- add way to sell non-physical goods/services
Just a note: the feature for the payment detail saving might not be adequate. By default, it seems like payment details are not saved. This is not beneficial because the whole point is to help users save time. However, if people are in a hurry, no one would think to check the box to save payment details. Plus, nearly everyone sticks to the defaults.
So it's important to have good defaults and let people opt out of saving payment details, instead.
Just an update: Looks like in your ~7.0 release you added the ability to have multiple payments by saving the details in the wild apricot payment processor. Regardless, the other issues mentioned above still stand.