I totally agree that this is a much needed function and would increase WA's usefullness 10,000 fold. Presently we are using a combination of Excel and FileMaker Pro. It makes it very difficult to have all your membership information in 3 different applications, but for the time being this is what we need to do to get the functionality we need.
Hope you can add timekeeping sooner rather than later.
Is there a way to track the time volunteers spend doing a particular job? Could we use a calendar and have them clock in and clock out and then assign the time to a particular job? Could be real helpful and even support the writing of grants because it would give us factual information from which we could work.
We are a 140 person non-profit that collects used books throughout the year. Our volunteers sort, price, box and store books until our 2 day sale in February of each year. We collect close to 800,000 books (1 by 1) driving to individuals homes. It is imperative to keep our organization going that we track the following:
1. Volunteer TIME sorting, pricing and boxing books by type of sort. Volunteers now sign in on a daily basis in a book with a spreadsheet. We then transfer that info into excel and sort it a million times. It is extremely time consuming and not very accurate. I'd love a simple Sign In and Sign Out that would track the time spent at the warehouse. They would then be able to assign those hrs to a particular job. (We could use a drop down so we could change the specific type of sorting.)
2. Volunteer BOX COUNT as they pick up books throughout the city. We pick up form homes, offices, and our own drop boxes. Because we pick up close to 800,000 books it is important for us to track WHEN we receive books and from WHERE. (Zip code is what we use to track) This help us manage our set up of teams and future publicity. We also need to track how many boxes of books we are taking out of each of our 16 Drop Boxes spread across the valley. We compare these to previous years to know if a box is producing or needs to be moved.
3. Volunteer JOBS. We have NO PAID employees. Our 140 volunteers do EVERYTHING. From clean the bathroom at the warehouse, to take out the garbage, to program the computer. Our Board members, parliamentarian, treasurer, secretary also get points for doing their jobs. We need to have a date field, sign in and sign out, total time (1 hr = 1 pt) and what the job was. It is a lot like #1 above although MOST of the volunteer time is spent sorting and pricing books.
It sounds like a small operation with only 140 little old ladies collecting used books, but last year we brought in close to half a million dollars in 2 days at our sale! We give all of our proceeds away to local charities in our community. Last year we put in a minimum of 22,000 hrs of volunteer time!
Liz R has done a great job of articulating our needs. Presently we are using both Filemaker Pro and Excel 2007 to handle these tasks that she lists but it would be great if it were integrated into WA. I am a huge WA fan and would love to see it go into the volunteer management area.
Here are our needs. We have 1 huge booksale a year. It takes us 363 days to get it ready for it and 2 days to execute it. (last year we took in over 600,000 books! We track our 150 volunteers throughout the year. We also track the number and type of books we bring in each year. Then we sell the books during a 2 day event. It takes us 1200 volunteers to staff the 2 day event. We need:
* Set up jobs by shift
* Assign number needed per job per shift
* Allow volunteers to self sign up until shift is full
* Administratively change/assign volunteers to individual shifts
* Provide an email to volunteer of what shift they are assigned to, when and where to report, and the duties of the job.
* Print badges by volunteer for all shifts (Sat shifts on 1 badge, Sun on another)
* Email follow up with thanks.
* Report of each job for supervisor of who is assigned to which shift so the Supervisor knows who to expect.
* Report of no shows
* Report of each vol and hrs worked.
Other than that, we don't have any other pressing needs. Ha ha. Funny, right?
Thanks for considering these issues.
As we are tracking volunteers my organization has a need to also track the TIME they spent in their volunteer duties. Because time spent translates into money we take this piece very seriously. At present each volunteer member is required to spend a minimum of 50 hours sorting books, must spend at least 2 hours picking up books from a drop box (of which there are 16 sites), must spend at least 2 hours picking up books from a home or office. These hours are translated into Points Earned so it would be nice if we could do some type of conversion from minutes to points. Then we would also need the ability to add those totals up and report them into different categories every quarter. I know it's is asking a lot but the hours are the basis of service in our organization.
82 votesCollecting comments · 62 comments · Wishlist » Account administration · Flag idea as inappropriate… · Admin →
The undo button was not shown at all.
I had a sneaking suspicion it was Firefox. It's been acting very weirdly the last month or so. They must be updating it because it frequently closes without notice.
Unfortunately for me the Undo button was not available. I am not sure if the problem originated with Firefox or WA but the entire page went blank and lost all my design and rolled all the way back past the Save option. Whew.
Fortunately, I contacted your tech support and the page was restored by your folks within two days. THANKS so much for that service.
Anyway, without pointing fingers of blame, all I wanted was to restore the page I spent hours creating. Wild Apricot did that for me within 2 days. It would have been nice to have a restore option on the dashboard so that I could do it myself within 10 minutes. That would be a super advantage.
Anyway, thanks for taking care of it for me.
This evening I was editing a page trying to change all the font to BOLD in one section. When I hit save the entire page disappeared. I do not feel I did anything wrong or incorrect, but instead that there is a glitch in WA. Please advise.