Dmitry Buterin

My feedback

  1. 27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    30 comments  ·  Wishlist » Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    In current version of Wild Apricot you can create a custom field to keep your old membership numbers and then use our system member id field for all existing and new members from now on. Can you comment on this setup vs. your suggestion?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Jo,

    There is no way to ensure uniqueness of custom field value now, sorry.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    yes, ignore memberif for import, it will be added automatically.

    userid - yes you can add as custom field.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    I think you are talking about ad-hoc username/userid and this is different from a numeric auto-assigned memberID.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We understand your point and we will consider it for future enhancements.

  2. 21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    13 comments  ·  Wishlist » Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We have made a note to consider this change for future enhancements, thanks.

  3. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    8 comments  ·  Wishlist » Gadgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    I would appreciate comments/feedback from others on this idea.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Moving to wishlist for now - need much more definition before we can plan development.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    This makes sense, I will add this to our list of future enhancements.

    It is pretty big though so it will be a while before we get to this one.

    FYI - we plan soon to start publishing current top 50 requests to let people vote and contribute to them - so that we ensure our priorities are aligned with what clients actually need.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  4. 23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    24 comments  ·  Wishlist » Widgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Can you please contact support to discuss this? Please confirm if you are talking about an external website or WA-based website.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Larry,

    You have formulated your question very well - I think we need to do a better job of addressing exactly this scenario in our help files as I think it is quite common.

    Wild Apricot widgets are basically the same pages as available for people on your Wild Apricot site, minus the header, footer and menu. Thus, each Wild Apricot widget corresponds to a particular function - because it does not have a menu, it can not by itself be used by people to go ton another function. So here is a way I think you can achieve what you have described:

    Let's assume that you want to provide access to the secure directory and to their own profile editing.

    Create 3 pages on your existing website:

    1) member services area. This will provide basic introduction about online services and links to 2) and 3)

    2) Member directory. Embed Wild Apricot directory widget in it. (assuming that your directory is stored in a member-only section in Wild Apricot site)

    3) Personal profile - embed Wild Apricot member profile widget.

    Now people can start at page 1) or go directly to 2) or 3). In either case they will be asked to log in before seeing Wild Apricot functions. They will stay on your main website.

    I hope this helps, let us know.

    See also http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Adding+Wild+Apricot+functionality+to+other+websites

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Jason, thanks for posting, this makes sense.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Elissa,

    I am afraid what you are asking for is not technically possible. Whether a page is made available to a particular visitor or not is controlled by the web server which actually host the pages. So for pages hosted on your own non-WA site, it would have to be controlled by your hosting server.

    For widget to work, it has to be displayed to the visitor. At this point is is already too late to decide whether visitor should have access to the page - he already got the page in question (this is where widget is coming from).

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Everyone - thanks for the feedback on this so far.

    We are still struggling a bit to figure out what are the specific things people need in this area. We would appreciate any additional specific examples - explain how exactly you want Wild Apricot to function/integrate with your external site - what is the page in question, what should be shown there, what would be shown after user action etc.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    I would appreciate details/example.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Re login/profile update - can you elaborate in more detail - what would you ideally like to see?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Ben,

    We have not found a way yet to create a logout link using the current version but we will add this to our list for the future.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  5. 95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    66 comments  ·  Wishlist » Account administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    I am thinking that it's better to build purpose-specific functions. Very few of our users would be able to use zipped HTML of all pages to do things like you have described. Your suggestions make good sense and I would appreciate if you could post them as new threads.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    I think you are doing quite enough and I am confident that backup systems we have in place are sufficient for disaster recovery situations.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks Gary. Your suggestions align well with our own thinking.

    We do not expect to implement restoring from backup -at least for a while - though because the software evolves all the time and maintaining backwards compatibility will be a challenge.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, this is not possible. Our system is not a typical 'dumb' hosting where you just upload your page created with any software - it's software as a service, with built-in CMS so pages can only be created/edited with integrated web editor.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, this is not possible with Wild Apricot platform.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks for sharing!

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Right now, the only way I can think of is to manually via your browser (Save page as...) - for each page.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    @mkerwin - understood, thanks.

    About Undo button - you mean that when you pressed it, nothing happened or that it was not shown at all? If the latter, this sounds like a browser glitch since that button is always displayed for all pages. Just FYI.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    There are different ways to backup - and restore - so what I am trying to figure out are possible scenarios of hos this might be used.

    From what I am hearing about webpages it sounds to me like a good solution might be versioning of web pages - so that each web page can be restored to an older version, similar to common functionality in wiki software. Thoughts?

    About member database - what are the scenarios for it to become screwed up?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Bob, there is currently no way to do this automatically in Wild Apricot, sorry.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Judy,

    We run our own backup so if there is ever a system malfunction we can always restore content.

    Our CMS is created from scratch and is not based on any open source CMS.

    I still agree with the validity of this request - I guess this is important to prevent accidental user mistakes.

    I would appreciate input about scenarios/reasons for backup/restore.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Marie, did you try the Undo button on the page?

    Try that and if does not help, contact support and we will restore the page from our backup.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Good examples, thank you very much Michelle. These really help us to understand what are the typical situations we need to handle - so that we might be able to come up with simpler solutions than overall backup (which is very complicated to do IF we to provide for restore from this backup too).

    FYI - if a page gets accidentally gets deleted, contact our tech support and in many cases we can restore it.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Phil,

    Appreciate your input. We are quite aware of the limitations of our CMS. In terms of our priorities we consider membership database/membership management to be our core functionality and our current priority #1. After that - event management system and CMS, then everything else.

    Once we refine the core functionality, we would be able to devote more and more time to CMS features.

    Re client manageable backups - frankly, this is a big challenge due to the fact that we update the system 3-5 times a year. What good is the backup if people can't restore from it? And ensuring compatibility of backups between different versions is an issue.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    It was mentioned that we should review Drupal backup/migrate module http://drupal.org/project/backup_migrate as a good prototype for what can be implemented in WA.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks for the input.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  6. 37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    31 comments  ·  Wishlist » Forums  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Hi Anne, sorry, the timeline is not clear yet - we have two releases in the works (4.4 and 5.0) and until we release them (4.4 in June, 5.0 in the fall) we would not be able to schedule this task.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Ian, unfortunately we ended up investing much more time into financial module and some other features so this has been postponed. It is still on our roadmap but for now there is no specific timeline for it.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    David,

    We had to focus on a bunch of other modules this year before we could tackle the forum. I expect us to address this within 2011 (more precise timeline is not defined yet)

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thank you, all good suggestions and they match our own ideas well.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    This is indeed a very common request and we have been investigating ways to address it.

    Two major hurdles yet to overcome:

    1) Reliably parsing emails from different systems in different formats to create a nice tidy forum post

    2) Spam prevention - anyone can fake an email as coming from 'obama@whitehouse.gov'. How do we avoid spammers flooding the forum through this hole (if they find it)

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks for your feedback.

    Different discussion groups can currently be implemented as multiple forums. What we do miss is an overview page of a bunch of forums.

    HTML editor - this is in the works, the biggest consideration is security (most forums online have huge security holes due to their HTML forums and we are a bit paranoid since we host all this private member data).

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  7. 243 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    161 comments  ·  Wishlist » Emails  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, no - it hasn't been scheduled for a particular release yet.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks for the comment. My earlier comment about email volume concerns is no longer relevant as we are now processing huge volumes of emails anyway and have put the infrastructure in place to scale this. Now it is simply a question of prioritizing against other features. I estimate that the earliest we could roll this out is fall of 2012 - though this is not guaranteed.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    The biggest reason we are considering this is to provide functionality similar to listserv, see

    http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825587-ability-to-submit-forum-posts-by-email-to-use-fo

    We are not keen to implement listserv per se, because it has huge potential for abuse by spammers and we think this feature can actually solve 90% of the problem - since we already have a way for people to subscribe get forum posts by email.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Everyone - for now we are still reluctant to implement this. This would be a huge increase on our email servers and has lots of risks for spam.

    What we are considering instead is ability for people to send in forum posts by email - then others will receive them if they are subscribed to that forum/thread.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Since we have implemented forum email notifications and given the comments received so far, we have decided to move listserv feature to wishlist for now.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  8. 148 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    46 comments  ·  Wishlist » Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    No progress on this yet. About check-in - you mean for event attendance? The best thread for comments on that is http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308920-archive/suggestions/8831254-tracking-on-site-registrations-and-actual-attendan

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Understood, thanks.

    We do want to provide this flexibility so researching a way to do this.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    This has not been scheduled yet.

    I hope that existing workaround (export into Excel, use Microsoft Word mail merge function) will be workable for you.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Can you elaborate what is missing in the current version?

    MS Word Mail merge can use Excel files so existiing export file should be easily usable for mail-merge.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  9. 138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    80 comments  ·  Wishlist » Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Understood - thanks for commenting.

    This has not been scheduled into a particular version yet so not much I can say for now.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Have you tried using event extra charges fields for sessions?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Unfortunately it will be a while before we get to this - quite a few other items in the development pipeline which are prioritized higher.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks! I moved your post here - this is one of things on our roadmap - see above. No timeline defined yet.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  10. 56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    80 comments  ·  Wishlist » Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    This particular feature is on the backburner and we don't expect to touch it at least until the end of 2013.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Here's a list of affiliate programs mentioned by one of the customers:
    * iDevAffiliate
    * Post Affiliate Pro
    * 1 Shopping Cart
    * JROX JAM
    * Paydotcom

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, can't do this - as I said, there is no single thank you page (this depends on various workflows, payment system selected, online vs. manual payment) so there is no quick fix.

    So unfortunately this will have its turn in the queue and it is not very likely to be addressed in 2011.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    The problem is, there is no single Thank you page - there are many different scenarios/workflows.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks for the details. Unfortunately there is no quick solution for this. We have to consider how this would work with various payment gateways we support. Also most of them work asynchronously - meaning that payment confirmation to our system is sent in the background separately from the original workflow.

    Anyway, we will keep researching the ways to handle this.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    @GFweekly - what would you ideally like to track as a conversion, can you elaborate in as much detail as possible? (Including situations with manual payment)

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We had 50 items on our 2010 roadmap, including this one. First two releases has taken more time than planned so we will not be able to complete all original 50.

    For affiliate program the biggest issue for us is that we still do not have enough understanding of what the real needs/goals are to properly analyze and design this. I would appreciate additional comments and details on this thread.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    It is indeed.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, but our own referral program is a different thing altogether. There is no way to map/port it.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Rob,

    Correct, it is not possible now to insert any code into this page - because this is really just an on-the-fly generated message, not a real page.

    This does look like the best way first step for us: implement a way to call a specified page (or run a custom javascript) upon the succcessful transaction. This should work for Google Analytics as well as for many external affiliate systems.

    I guess we will have to do this for membership applications, event registrations and donations.

    One question we still have to figure out is what to do for manual transactions. What comes to mind is to call the same piece of code/web page when payment is manually confirmed. Anything else? Should this be automatic or optional?

    And if a transaction is canceled/changed/refunded later on, I suspect we ideally need to provide another "hook" at this step - but I think we will have to skip this in the initial implementation.

    Finally there is a question of parameters - are there any special parameters that might have to be passed in this call, e.g. contact name, date, amount, transaction type?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Corey, this is a very different matter so I will split your post into a new thread. And I would like to hear your thoughts on how this would work regarding payments (because members can successfully pay online, pay online and fail, pay manually)

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Kim,

    So far our thinking about the affiliate functionality has been to have WA integrate with a third-party affiliate program (vs. trying to build one within WA itself). The issue is that we do not have much experience with affiliate programs and what we have researched seems all over the map in terms of what they need/how to integrate with them.

    So we have not figured out yet a way to implement this without huge volume of development work to make it customizable for any program.

    Another complication is dealing with manual pending and aborted online payments

    In other words, we are having trouble so far translating 'we need affiliate integration' with what specifically we need to add/change in Wild Apricot for that.

    I would love to hear more details and ideas from you and everybody - what exactly would you propose to have in the WA system to address your needs?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry but I do not expect us to make any progress on this at least for a few months - too much other stuff we need to address.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We have just discussed this today.

    There are still a number of challenges we have to solve before we can proceed:

    1) Processing workflow for each online payment processor is different so we need to determine the best point when transaction is considered successfully completed for each one

    2) Sometimes confirmation from payment processor can take minutes or even hours (!) so user will never stay to see the success screen. So we need a different mechanism for this situation

    3) We need to handle manual transactions - when people pay by check etc.

    So we will keep working on this but it will be a while before we can address this.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks - what was looking for is actual data example. E.g. What date format, what format of commission etc.

    It will help us to analyze this.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    At the moment we do not have a way to do this - but this helps a lot - now we can investigate in more depth what is involved.

    Could you clarify with them: What is 'DT calls' and ask them for an example of data for each field?

    and to your other comment - this is about external affiliates.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Additional input received via email from a partner:

    What my clients look for in an affiliate program is that companies and
    indviduals (with website and permission email lists) can sign up to my (my
    clients) website and promote their products.

    1) An important factor is too set the payment % the affiliates are going to
    receive, and to be able to automatically pay them through paypal.

    2) Have different % rates for different affiliates.

    3) To set up affiliates (so my client does it for the company) and also so
    someone (affiliate) can do it automaticall them selves.

    4) 1 Teir is enough (better if one could have more but would like a basic
    program quicker and develope over time)

    5) Create invoices so that we know what as been paid and for the accountant.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Kim, I do not have any new information for you.

    What we really need is information on what afffiliate programs people want to integrate with (including information on integration ) - so that we can analyse how to do it. Shane has suggested one program above - JROX.com - but we were not able to find integration information on that site or understand how it is supposed to work.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Shane, I could not easily find technical documentation on jrox site about their affiliate program integration, do you have by any chance?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Ok, thanks for the details, we will use them in our analysis/planning.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Current behavior:
    After the membership application, user is shown a confirmation page with hard-coded short message

    Desired behavior:
    Ability to customize the message displayed to the user after his membership application

    Notes:
    1) We are dealing with a variety of possible outcomes, e.g.:
    Free membership, in pending status
    Free membership, in active status
    Paid membership, online payment failed
    Paid membership, online payment successful, in pending status
    Paid membership, online payment successful, in active status
    Paid membership, manual payment selected
    We need to decide whether to make separate customizable messages for each situation - or deal with it somehow else.

    2) These messages probably should be rich text-formatted (vs. plain text) and even allow Javascript (for things like Affiliate integration)

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Kim,

    We do not have any current recommendations but if we come across a good candidate, we will let you know.

    Also, it would be great if you could describe your perspective - how the ideal affiliate functionality would work for you - so that we can be aware of that in our search and planning of product updates.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  11. 246 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    102 comments  ·  Wishlist » New features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    This has not been scheduled for development so the timeline is not defined - we will post updates once it advances to that stage.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, no - this is a whole new module, not related to the new CMS.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Ian,

    We have decided to prioritize this lower for the moment - there are too many other things we want to improve in existing functionality before we add new stuff.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Terry, this makes total sense - though of course we need to build the classifieds module first - I will join your post to the existing thread.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Eric, appreciate the details.

    This is on our roadmap which means we plan to implement it within the next 12 months. We do not have a more precise schedule yet.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    In the meantime I would really appreciate if you could describe how you currently use ads/what are your needs - so that we can take this into consideration in our analysis/design.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Jennifer,

    This has not been scheduled yet - though we did start the analysis/design on this.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Realistically, it will be a while before we can tackle this one - many other improvements in the pipeline.

    We do not have any current recommendations on third-party plugins for that, sorry.

    Anyone else has any recommendations?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Not yet, it depends on client votes here - and our progress on other items already in the works.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  12. 73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    40 comments  ·  Wishlist » Members  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    No, we do not provide messaging or chat capabilities in Wild Apricot.

    Forum module is being designed, expected release end of Q2.

    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  13. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    5 comments  ·  Wishlist » Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin shared this idea  · 
  14. 116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    67 comments  ·  Wishlist » Gadgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Comment from another client:

    "...I would like a back end web tool to be supplied that would generate a list of files from the Document storage area and display them on a webpage similar to what I have at school. see http://web1.eppingboy-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/content/public/app.directorylisting/documents/index.asp . This compilation datamines several web folders”

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, there is no way to do this now - but it has been requested. I will join your post to existing thread. This has not been scheduled yet.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Good scenario example from another client:

    "Currently, for a group that wants to share a number of files, it is a multi-step process to upload and share. It would be great if there was some kind of bulk/multi upload, but even more important would be that after you've uploaded the files if there could be a way to create a page or widget within a page or event that just listed the files for download. Right now, for example, if I wanted to upload a bunch of documents relating to a specific board meeting, or all board agendas and minutes for 2010, I need to upload each file and create links to the files one at a time. Much better if I could just upload all the files to one folder at once, and then display a widget which lists all files in that folder for download."

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    It is on our roadmap, though it has not been scheduled yet into a particular release. (I mean the overall ability to protect attachments, not this thread)

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    I am trying to understand the gist of what you are saying and it looks like what you really need is ability to assign restriction rights to documents, just like we currently have for site sections/pages. Am I correct?

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks for posting - I think we will see good interest in this from other clients.

    One challenge is access restriction. Right now all files are posted into a common storage and are publicly accessible via a direct link. This would have to be changed - and it is quite a bit fo work.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks, I have added this to our queue of future enhancements.

  15. 252 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    143 comments  ·  Wishlist » Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

    Even though it is not a direct implementation, I hope this could be helpful:

    We just launched integration with Integromat platform, which helps to build automated workflows. We also provide several templates for quick start, and one of them allows to copy google calendar events into WA events. So if you share a google calendar for events submission, then the scenario could copy submitted events into your Wild Apricot account.
    You can try this integration by this link https://www.integromat.com/en/integration/2275-copy-google-calendar-into-wild-apricot-events

    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Margie - no developments here. We would appreciate additional detailed examples of how this would be used/would ideally work - so that we can design for common situations.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We do provide full free trial so that people can fully evaluate our offering in advance.

    Yes, this has been requested for a while - but so have hundreds of other items. We are doing our best to address all the requests in order of priority.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We use the # of comments and thread ratings (stars) as an approximation of the priority - however then we have to reconcile it against what we are seeing in support and customer feedback surveys.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Hi Jessie - sorry, we are not likely to tackle this feature in 2011.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    There were no resources to do it in 4.0 - it was a major effort to redesign the financial management aspect so unfortunately other features had to be delayed.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sorry, no.

    See http://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/Release+history for links to pages listing all key changes in version 4.0

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Scott, this sound a pretty unique requirement so we would not include it in our original scope, sorry.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Anna,

    Thanks for your post, sorry it took me some time to get to this.

    So far our thinking is that once event is posted, member cannot edit it - all further management/coordination would have to be done by administrators. (Otherwise, we are talking about members getting involved in a pretty complex event management process etc.)

    Do you think this is a reasonable first step? Do you frequently have events which should be edited/managed by submitting members?

    (The search by zip code proximity is a separate issue - we currently have nothing of sorts, you might want to start a new thread)

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    @wmorrison - interesting point. So the question is: Are we talking about

    1) External events that somebody else is putting up and members are recommending to other members

    vs.

    2) Event suggestions - events that members suggest your organization should put up.

    My current thinking for now is focused on 1). Also, for practical purposes, solving 2) requires a whole another layer of collaboration.

    I would appreciate input from other readers.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Michael - and everyone - I would appreciate additional insight into broader context:

    What is driving the need for you to have members submit events - what are the common situations where you have this, how is this currently handled, how frequent/important this is etc.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    @rapdup

    Thanks for pitching in. Current thread is only discussing how members can submit events - but NOT manage them afterwards.

    If you need that, please create a new thread and give us an example of what kind of capabilities you are looking for.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    It's still on our wishlist meaning it has not been placed on the roadmap yet so no timeline yet but unfortunately most likely at least a year away.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Appreciate the detailed comment - this provides much better perspective on what you are looking for.

    We will consider this - though for now I am still cautious about allowing non-members to post events. You can very quickly end up with a lot of spam on your public calendar, some of it could be quite offensive. So for now we are still focusing on giving the event posting ability to members for starters.

    Re forum - similar issue here. Public can post comments but can not create new threads. I think creating a free level like "friends of chamber" makes sense. You can make it renew every year and have system auto-archive records which did not renew.

    It should not be a problem regarding directory - you can specify which levels should be included there.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    This is now in design stage. Best case - it will be included in version 3.4 which goes into development in early December and should be out in mid-late feb 2010. If it does not make it into 3.4, it will likely go into 3.5, so add two more months.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Kenn,

    You are making a good point - we will definitely keep searching for ways to implement this.

    One possibility I see is a member-facing simplified interface for events which would not include any registration options.

    Also, such events can be separated with a special tag - and we can potentially have events with different tags use different colors on the calendar.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We are still collecting feedback and analyzing this, it looks like there are many different scenarios/needs.

    Thus, there is no definite plan/timeline yet.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Up until now the proportion of HOAs on our platform was much lower than other types of organizations which need full-blow events with registration.As you can see, this thread does not have that many comments and votes.

    Your feedback is noted but realistically I do not expect us to make any progress on this for at least a few more releases.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    OK, thanks for the details.

    It's on our list, though it will be a while before we get to this particular thing.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Can you elaborate how do you see this working?

    These suggested events should be hidden from everyone else until admin approves them correct?

    I do not see members setting up the pricing and registration parameters - so I assume admin would have to add that, what do you think?

    How is this different/better from having a discussion forum thread for this purpose - members can post ideas about events and admin can create appropriate events as needed?

  16. 88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    78 comments  ·  Wishlist » New features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin supported this idea  · 
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We have decided not to proceed with this in 2010 - need to address many other areas in the product first.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We have decided not to pursue WA translations until 2011 - too much stuff we have to do first to make the system better for English speaking users first so we have to focus our resources on that.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Oliver,

    Thanks for the suggestions - makes total sense.

    This is something we plan to do, but before we proceed with the actual translation work, we have to do a lot of development work on our end. Since we have a big pipeline of enhancements requsted by many clients, we are not able to invest this development time for now. I suspect that the earliest we can look at this again will be in 2010.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We still plan to do this but there is no specific timeline as of now - we have too many other things in the work queue which are more frequently requested.

    We do have people who manage decent bilingual sites using WA, though it is a bit of a hassle to maintain - requires manual work.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We have decided to postpone adding language to Wild Apricot - we need to direct the resources to meet other requests from our current clients.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We have decided to postpone this further - there is simply too much for us to do in the main, English version, before we can allocate any resources to localization.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    I saw it, very cool - very nice use of Javascript to provide a switch between English and French.

    Good job!!

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Ken,

    The way it looks now, we will not start adding multi-lingual support for at least 6-9 months - need to take care of some basic architecture changes first. Actual features will be largely determined by input we receive.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Helen,

    You are right - event invitations are not currently customizable. It is on our list though - http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308920-archive/suggestions/8831239-customizing-event-notices-reminders - and I will record your vote to bump it up in our queue.

    Renewal notices are customizable now. Go to Settings / Membership levels / click into any level / on Renewal policy tab you will see links to customize all the renewal emails. or have I misunderstood your comment?

    We do plan to support other languages in the future - starting with Spanish and French - but for the moment we have many requests from our English speaking user base we have to attend to, I hope you understand.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Thanks Danielle, appreciate your input.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Comment received via email (slightly edited):

    ...

    I am looking to do something like:

    http://www.conceptionkit.com

    Most our clients will want to provide a bilingual content site. :). The system localization...is not

    important for us..., but the ability to provide an easy to navigate multilingual site is....

    ...

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Current behavior:
    While webpage content and data records can be in any language, administration interface and system labels are only available in English.

    Desired behavior:
    Ability to use other languages, first of all for member and public view, ideally for the admin view as well.

    Notes:
    1) Languages under consideration:
    Spanish, French, German
    2) Once we localize the system, each new release will become longer and more expensive since we will need to review and translate new labels into each additional language.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Sharon,

    The only way to do it now is to create a set of duplicate pages with French content. We plan a more robust handling of switching languages but it is currently planned for end of 2008.

    Keyword search - this can be done by inserting Google search engine into you Wild Apricot site.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Richard, sorry, we have postponed the localization of the system for 2008, at least until Q2. Too many other client requests for English version we have to deal with first. And initial versions will be translated by us so Catalan is probably not going to among the first languages we translate to.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    [quote user="renato"]

    Hi,

    thanks for your very fast response - the members of the association are french speaking - so I need the page names ane contents to be in french, including the web, as well as confirmation messages.

    For what regards administration I believe the admnistrator will be English speaking, so no big issue there.

    Let me make you some examples:

    - home page:you have a menu on the top with different options 'dashboard, web pages,...) - the option should be written in french if the language selected for the system is french

    [/quote]

    DB: Top menu is only shown to administrator so it sounds this one would not be a big deal for you.

    [quote user="renato"]

    - Events session: show details for each event - the header is in ENglish (date, time, location) and should be French

    - Web: you have a web page called events. I can change the text in the menu to the french equivalent (aveniment) , however if I go into the event page there is a header in English (events) which I cannot edit. I'd like that header to say 'Aveniment' if the language is set to French

    If you have some of this already in french language, could you allow me to upgrade my trial system with this feature? The reason is that it will be much easier for me to sell to the Sommelier Association the idea of buying your product if they see it is in French (i.e; they can understand it).

    Thanks in advance - in case let's have a phone call to discuss the details (drop me an e-mail at my private adress which I provided signing in).

    Thanks and Cheers

    renato

    [/quote]

    Understood. Unfortunately there is no quick and easy (or even quick and dirty) way to show this in French - this would have to wait until we release the multi-lingual features later in the year.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Hello there,

    Can you please elaborate what specific issues are criticial for you regarding french ?

    Obviously, page names and page content can be in French.

    Standard confirmation emails are in English but very soon we will provide ability to customize them so you can write them in French. (a few weeks away)

    Built-in forms and administration functionality are only in English for now. We have it on our roadmap for Q4 this year to add localization options.

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    We do support a range of currencies for online payments - US, Canadian and Australian dollars, UK pounds, euro and a few other currencies.

  17. 77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    39 comments  ·  Wishlist » Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

    We just launched integration with Integromat platform, which helps to build automated workflows. We also provide several templates for quick start, and one of them allows to copy Wild Apricot events into google calendar. So you can share this google calendar and you members can subscribe to it.

    You can try the integration by this link https://www.integromat.com/en/integration/2276-copy-wild-apricot-events-into-google-calendar

    Help page: https://gethelp.wildapricot.com/en/articles/1653

    Blog post with video tutorial: https://www.wildapricot.com/blogs/newsblog/2019/02/14/create-integromat-scenario

    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    It looks like some kind of access problem, can you recheck the URL?

    You can see that http://inventorsforum.memberlodge.org/Content/RSS/events.ashx?pageId=83347 returns a feed while http://www.hopeca.com/Content/RSS/events.ashx?pageId=143362 returns Resource not found so page is not correct/not publicly accessible.

  18. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    1 comment  ·  Designers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Very cool! And your office looks comfy )

  19. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    2 comments  ·  Designers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Hi Rob, the list of layouts/pages can't be customized, sorry.

    Once we release new CMS in version 5.0 (planned for the fall), the interface will change and I think this might become feasible though in a different way (there will be a new concept of page layouts)

    For now the only workaround is to create as regular pages and then copy them when needed.

  20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    20 comments  ·  Designers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dmitry Buterin commented  · 

    Wow, looks great! If you are interested in getting some exposure on our blog, email me at db AT wildapricot.com.

Feedback and Knowledge Base