Skip to content

Developers

Mostly about Wild Apricot API. Feel free to share examples of your code!

78 results found

1. User Permissions

I'm working with your API and I've noticed that individual members only have permission to make requests for their own contact information and the account information. I was wondering:

Is there a way to return the users ID who has logged in rather than the ID of our WA account?

How to we assign more permissions globally as we'd like our members to be able to view and register for events through an app we're building.

Thanks so much.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved  ·  Dmitry Smirnov responded

1. If you access API using contact’s credentials, then you can use /v2/accounts/XXX/contacts/me request to get current user’s information, including his ID.

2. There is no way to give more permissions to contacts/members. However, if you are building web application, which runs in trusted environment, you can make some API requests using API key rather than contact credentials. When you access API with API key, then you have full permissions to events and event registrations.

2. Please help with API version 1 to API version 2

I am part of a voluntary organization and we received an e-mail about updating to API version 2 and same changes that needed to be made. We are all in way over our head and I just took over the website management this week. I would appreciate any and all help.

We don't even know if we are using API. I will do anything I need to do but I really need help. Again, I am not paid this is for a completely voluntary organization.

Thanks,

Bradley Bearden

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you know nothing about API, then most probably you don’t use it and can forget about that e-mail.

However if you, or someone of your collegues developed custom software to automate your work, then you should ask a developer to update this software.

3. Database update via API returns "State":"Waiting","InitialQuery"

I use a cron job to hit the API a few times a day, sometimes I get a blank result and this is what is returned:

Any idea why this happens ?? I am not requesting the API every second. It is literally twice a day ??

{"ResultId":XXX"","ResultUrl":"https:\/\/api.wildapricot.org\/v1\/accounts\XXX\/Contacts\/?resultId=XXX","Requested":"2015-07-26T22:56:05.057","State":"Waiting","InitialQuery":{"ObjectType":"Contact","FilterExpression":null,"SelectExpression":null}}

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved  ·  Team Mobile responded

We failed to reproduce this problem, so I mark the problem as resolved. Feel free to reopen if you encounter the problem again.

5. API V2 "invalid_scope" error

Multiple attempts at setting the "scope" param (contactsview, eventsview, contacts, etc) all return the same error:
    {"error":"invalidscope","errordescription":"Scope 'eventsview\n' is not available for current client.","erroruri":null}

My client was created with "read only" access. Shouldn't this work?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. API V2 help creating or updating fields

I am evaluating Wild Apricot for a small non-profit. We are all volunteers who will be administering it, so I am investigating using the API to automate our workflow due to the fact that WA does not create a Contact for Guest registrations.

My question is related to the Create Contact or Update Contact operations. I can create a contact with the FirstName, LastName and Email fields and I can update those fields. However, I have been unsuccessful adding or creating additional fields, even the Phone built in field.

Can anyone help by sending me an example of the syntax…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. What will you do with the new API?

I'm excited for the API that will be coming out this month (according to this forum: http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308920-archive/suggestions/8831320-api-to-read-contact-member-records-2469 )

I see that there are a lot of people interested in the API and I was curious what others will be using it for? I will be using it to integrate Google Maps but perhaps there are some other cool things I can set up that I haven't thought of.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Demo Joomla Authentication Module

Hi,
    I've got a Joomla authentication module working with WildApricot which I'm making available for anyone to use.

I'm not a PHP coder or joomla expert, so take this with a grain of salt and understand it will need customisation for your site. I've loaded the source on github. I'd recommend it only experienced Joomla/PHP users and you will need to alter it.

Hopefully someone with more experience can take this code and make it more generic so others may benefit.

https://github.com/psike73/joomla_waauth

Allows authentication against WildApricot user/password.
    Add or remove to defined Joomla groups (ie. member and non-members group)
    Add…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  3 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. API changes in 5.4 (action may be required before July 6th)

In Version 5.4, which was just released on June 15th, Wild Apricot has made changes to the authentication process https://help.wildapricot.com/display/DOC/API+V2+authentication for its API. We have moved from account-based authentication to the more secure application-based authorization. Instead of generating a single API key that provides complete access to your entire Wild Apricot account, you authorize individual applications, each of which are assigned separate credentials. If you've previously generated an API key for your account – prior to the 5.4 release – it will automatically be converted to an authorized application called Legacy API key.
    If you are currently using an API…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  0 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. API V2 authentication and sample routines in Python

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate my Wild Apricot database into a standing Python program. If somebody has already written the V2 API authentication and some routines in Python, can they share so I can leverage?

Thanks in advance.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. API: Get list of contacts by saved search

Wanting to get some feedback if I am doing this correctly or there is a better way!

Goal: I have 13 SavedSearches and I want to create 13 separate Google SS (using Google Script) with the details of members (some custom fields I have created as well) returned by each SavedSearch.

Step 1: I use the api SavedSearch request to return the contactIds.

Step 2: Iterate through the returned list and make an api call to contacts using the contactId.

Here is the problem I am encountering. The limit on individual contact calls is 60 / minute. All my searches…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The solution is to call
    GET …/contacts?$filter=id in [1,2,34,85,…….] and instead of numbers add the ids you received from saved search call results (it returns them too).

12. Contacts API v2 $select doesn't provide MembershipLevel

I found that when using $select on the contacts API call in V2, the MembershipLevel field is not available. It is available however if all fields are returned by not using $select

Is this by design, or an oversight?

I am using the sample PHP code.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  1 comment  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Getting Support for the WA V2 API?

Hi - looking through recent posts in the forum regarding usage of the WA API V2 I get the impression that the API is basically unsupported by WA. e.g. two API issues I posted some days ago remain unanswered and a recent API V2 question from another user (GeePawHill) also remains without any replies.

So a basic question - do WA staff support the API through this forum? If not can anyone at WA advise what other avenues are available in order to get support for the API? e.g. should we be submitting API issues via the support channel? (email)…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Developers forum is a place where WA developers or other users can help you with API. We try to help you with API issues as much as possible, however the support does not include debugging code of client applications.

14. API - HTTP POST Error 500, an internal error has occured

Hi - I've spent hours trying to figure why the POST below (in Swift) fails. Status code is HTTP 500 which according to the doc means "Wild Apricot's server has encountered an error and cannot fulfill the request." API Key and authentication are all good since GET requests to the same API work fine.

The event is very simple defined to have only fields first and last name and email. The event is public. I've triple checked all the Id's - event, contact, reg type id etc.

Any ideas much appreciated..

Thanks
    David

Post URL is https://api.wildapricot.org/v2/accounts/{acctid}/EventRegistrations/

Post Body is…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  1 comment  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Authenticating a Member or Contact (with iOS app)

Hi - I am writing a custom iOS app using the WA API and a requirement is that members sign into the mobile app with the same credentials that they use to access the WA site via a browser (i.e. email, password)

The "contacts" API returns the user's email but not the password (which would clearly be a security issue). So the iOS app cannot verify the members credentials itself.

Is there an API that the iOS app can call to verify the members password? If not, do you have any other suggestions on how this type of member sign…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. API V2 authorization "invalid_client" error

Hi, I'm trying to do v2 authorization (from Java), and getting an invalid client error.

My setup reads (edited for brevity):

HttpPost post = new HttpPost(AUTH_URL+"/auth/token");

post.addHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded");

post.addHeader("Authentication","Basic "+Base64.encodeBase64String("APIKEY:"+API_KEY));

List <NameValuePair> nvps = new ArrayList <NameValuePair>();

nvps.add(new BasicNameValuePair("granttype", "clientcredentials"));

nvps.add(new BasicNameValuePair("scope", "account"));

post.setEntity(new UrlEncodedFormEntity(nvps));This seems a perfect mirror of the php and c# samples, but in return, I'm getting the remarkably useful:{"error":"invalidclient","errordescription":null,"error_uri":null} Any ideas?Thanks,GeePawHill

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. API PUT produces unexpected result

As part of our first operational use of the API, I need to update two fields dynamically. For trials, I am using php cUrl, modeled on your sample application. I have no problems with GET, but PUT leaves me baffled.

Each time I run the script, the target fields are not changed - but the membership of the target contact goes from "active" to "membership not allocated".

Clearly my code is doing this: but how/why? Can anyone give me a clue as to what is happening?

Also, my debugging script shows a result JSON containing all the target contact's data.…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  API  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. API Help

I’ve been following your API v2 guides and snagged the PHP sample listed here:

https://github.com/WildApricot/ApiSamples/blob/master/PHP/sampleApplication.php

I was able to properly implement the getAccountDetails function and I created a getContactIdFromEmail function that tweaked the getContactsList function to filter on an email address.

Now I’m trying to update the FirstName of the Contact that I received. Here’s the code:

function updatePasswordByContactId($contactId, $email)

{

global $waApiClient;

global $accountUrl;

$url = $accountUrl . "/Contacts/Contact/{$contactId}";

$data = array("FirstName" => "Chaz2");

$result = $waApiClient->makeRequest($url, "PUT", $data);

return true;

}

I analyzed the CURL parameters to see that it is calling the URL:

https://api.wildapricot.org/v2/Accounts/73659/Contacts/Contact/25710546 ALIDCONTACTID

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?