Support both Organizations & Individual contacts
Hi WA - I'm new to the product/community and was just reviewing the long thread on bundles (http://forums.wildapricot.com/forums/308932-wishlist/suggestions/8825677-revising-bundle-membership-functionality?page=1&per_page=20) since we need this feature.
It looks to me like refactoring to give organization its own entity in the system would setup the platform better for addressing the issues raised.
Are there long term plans to do something like this?
- An "Organizations" tab/capability just like "Contacts".
- People could belong to one or more organizations.
- Organizations would have their own notes / history etc separate from the people within it.
- People (contacts) could have different Roles within an organization (member admin; Billing Contact, etc.) .
- Membership levels could be of type "Individual", ""Individual Bundle" (I assume you'd still need to support this), or "Organization".
- "Organization" membership levels would have all the existing bundle functionality in terms of delegated administration and contact setup, etc. but would be smarter about where the membership truly belongs.
- All of the accounting stuff (invoicing/payments) could track to org records instead of people - allowing for accurate long term history reporting/visibility.
- Web pages could be secured based on org relationship.
I'm aware of how massive a change to the system this would be -- just curious if this sort of revamp is being seriously considered.
David Cooper commented
... Our members are "companies", not individuals. "Company Entities" pay dues and have a contact person. When the contact person changes WO makes it difficult to maintain the "company" record. Financial records and membership records e.g. Statements, balance due, member since, profile, et.c moves with the individual and requires careful "reconstruction"/manipulation of the member record. Related to this, a company may have an accounts payable dept to which invoices should be directed and a marketing dept. that maintains their company profile. These access permissions could be delegated to a bundle member by the bundle administrator. Invoice and receipt related emails would go to the A/P delegate automatically and they would have access to the financial information on line/ability to make payments. In the case of marketing they would only have access to profile editing.
We have two membership levels -- organizations and individuals. Organizations need to be listed by organization (the person signing up for the organization is secondary and usually just a contact person). Individuals need to be listed by their name, since they are signing up for themselves.
Is there a way to customize how the membership list is displayed, based upon which membership level they signup for?
I know I can sort by membership level, but this doesn't really help the display problem. The "Search results layout" applies to the entire membership list, and can't change based upon what type of membership is being displayed. So I can either list everyone by their name first (which is wrong for the organization), or I can list everyone by their organization first (which is wrong for the individuals).
If this is not do-able today, then please, please put it in a future release. There should be a different "Search results layout" set of boxes for each membership level (if a person needs the functionality).