Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Providing financial reporting for "Extras"

Wild Apricot permits creating "extra" charges to be applied to invoices for either dues or events. However, this information then gets lost and all that appears in reports or invoice listings is the total amount of the invoice. Nevertheless, Wild Apricot stores this information somewhere because it is possible to reproduce a copy of the invoice showing the "extra."

We are a national organization that also has 6 local chapters. About a third of our members belong to one of the chapters. In addition to our national dues there are dues for chapter membership. When we send out dues invoices we add an amount for chapter dues as an "extra" using a radio button field. Periodically the national office distributes the dues collected on behalf of the each chapter to that chapter. Consequently we need to know how much we have collected.

When we process manual cheques or credit card payments we can extract this information from what members send to us. However, now that we have begun using Wild Apricot and allowing members to join or renew on-line, it appears the only way we can get this information is to manually go back to every invoice that Wild Apricot generated and tally the amounts. This is a colossal defect in the system.

Please upgrade the system to show "extra" amounts as separate lines in your invoice reports. If that is not possible, at least have fields describing the extra and the amount in the invoice file that can be exported to Excel. The data is clearly in your system somewhere. This would be similar to allowing data in user-defined donation fields to be exported even though it cannot be included in reports. It's only half a solution but is better than nothing.

This is a suficient shortcoming that we would switch to another system that didn't present this problem.

4 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Printing HistorianPrinting Historian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark MillsapMark Millsap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We run a "Makerspace" (shared tools, knowledge and inspiration for benefit of members and public) that includes monthly membership dues and "other" charges throughout the month, such as time on laser cutter, shop consumables, and goodies (tee shirts, electronic parts and pieces, etc.). Would love to be able to add these other charges to member account and send comprehensive invoice once a month. We could also add charges via API to member accounts. That would be nice.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for a detailed write-up - the need on extras reporting is clear. We have missed this in our original analysis and design so unfortunately there is no quick fix, now we need to figure what exactly is needed, then design and implement solution.

I would appreciate more details from you - how would you ideally see reporting on this?

And I hope to see input from other clients so we can prioritize this higher.

In the meantime the only workaround to report on extras I could think of is using QuickBooks export function in WA. (And you do not need QuickBooks to use it). You can either use a preview of the export - or produce the actual export file, rename it from IIF to XLS and open in Excel.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7