Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Move fields from membership to contact database and back

Is it possible to move data from the member fields area to the Contacts customized fields?

I created a field in my member fields when I originally set up all of the fields. Now that I look at it, it makes more sense to have this information moved to a contacts customized field as I would like to have ALL contacts include the information and not just the members.

I have about 60 people who have input information into the field and I was wonder if there is a way to transfer that information, or the entire field, to the contacts customized fields area short of opening each record individually and manually copy and pasting it from on field to the other?

Thanks.

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Larry KillerLarry Killer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill TidballBill Tidball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your feedback on this. Although it seems like a small problem, and with the work around solution it can be resolved, but it would be great to handle this in an easier manner.

Not something that should bump other bigger items off the wish list but something to resolve if you get the chance as it constantly happens during the first couple months of a new configuration of the software.

• MatthieuMatthieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Elsie,

Yes, this will work for moving contacts fields to membership fields.

Also, the process for moving one type of field to another is a bit simpler now with our new import process. After you export your database and then delete the fields simply import your file again right afterward. Wild Apricot will see it contains fields that don't exist in your database and ask you if you would like to create them as membership or contact fields.

• ElsieElsie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

Would this solution work out if i wanted to do the opposite, and move some fields from contacts to the membership fields? We found that now we are using events, that some of our fields in contacts are unnecessary and looks a little unprofessional, but didnt realise it'd be an issue when originally setting up.

Thanks

• MatthieuMatthieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

To move these fields, first go to your Contacts tab and export all your contacts. Next, go to your Membership fields and delete the fields that you want to have under Contact fields. Once these are deleted, go into Contact fields and recreate them with the same names. Afterward, go to your Contacts tab and import the file you had exported earlier to repopulate the fields you had moved.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7