Type in your suggestion - new feature or improvement idea

Store additional member emails and use for member recognition

Members can't remember which email they have used in the past, so they re-join and pay again. What about being able to put in an alternative email address in the contact information, so when they log in it searches for either email?

Teri

OFLA

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TeriTeri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@winnietennis - can you elaborate what exactly seems to be a recent phenomena? I can't think of any changes in version 4.0 that would affect this.

• winnietenniswinnietennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order for someone to register for 95% of our events, they must login. What is causing us frustration is that there are folks are logging in, then entering a different email than the one they logged in with. Occasionally, they go to change their email on their profile and cannot b/c the new email address has been added as a contact. This is causing me (as membership director) a huge headache in terms of clean-up.

We dump our data out into another system every month in order to generate reports and check for duplicates, as well as some other functionality. We simply do not want multiple versions of people as contacts. We want to understand each individual's history with us. We are currently doing the tedious work of removing and recreating events and combining records. (Glad the functionality is coming to do that without the manual effort!)

I want to force them to use the login version of their email address (or have the ability to choose this as an option as the account administrator) OR provide directions for them to change their login email on their profile. I don't want or need multiple email addresses. If other groups do want this as an option, the ability to control this per account would be stellar.

Also, this seems to be a recent phenomena for us. Is this a result of the recent upgrade?

Kyle,

Re email - we do plan to allow admins to add records without email (manually or via import) in the next couple of releases.

• Kyle MitchellKyle Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this would be phenomenal to be able to have a "member" have multiple email addresses linked to their account. I can this being useful for family accounts or couples or just those people who illogically seem to maintain 4 or 5 different email addresses.

BUT, I still would like to see email being a non-mandatory field and if not available use the MemberID as the unique identifier.

• David BryanDavid Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> What if we allow to add multiple emails and recognize any of them at login?

Fantastic! Require one of them to be their "primary" email address - that one could be their unique identifier and the address used for email blasts.

I have more to say about this, but want to wait for others' comments.

David,

Thanks for bringing this up.

From my experience the issue with member IDs/usernames is that people frequently forget them and it might create more problem than it solves...

Here is an idea form top of my head (no idea of feasibility, just brainstorming): What if we allow to add multiple emails and recognize any of them at login?

Also, I guess a useful function would be is merging those duplicate records. This is on our roadmap.

Would love to hear other people comments on this.

• David BryanDavid Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've read through the discussions about WA's using email address as the unique identifier, but I haven't seen anyone mention our problem in this area.

Our members sign up with one of their email addresses, then revisit (or register for an event) with another of their email addresses. This causes the following problems: 1) members are not offered member rates because they're working with their alternate email address, 2) duplicate member records with each of the person's email addresses, often with duplicate membership payments, 3) general confusion and uncertainty at sign-in time.

What we need are email aliases in the member record. I'm hoping that when the unique identifier is changed to record ID, this will be possible. If so, member should be able to sign in, or register for events, using any of their email addresses on file.

This assumes that people would bother to enter those other emails - and I am not sure many people would do that.

I would appreciate comments/ideas from others.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7