Registering multiple people for events [1810]

Current behavior:
Every attendee has to be registered and paid for separately. This is inconvenient for people registering a group, for example several colleagues from the same company - or several family members.

Desired behavior:
Ability to add additional registrations in the same session - and then process the single payment.
Ideally, ability to specify for fields on the registration form which ones should be repeated for individual registrants (since many fields might be common and should only be filled out ones)
Administrator should be able to view the name of each registrant - as well as to see them in groups they were processed in.
Receipts should be sent to each registrant for his individual registration and a separate total receipt to the originating person.

Note:
There is also a situation when individual names or additional registrants might not be required so it is instead desirable to enter number of registrants - and have system calculate the final price by multiplying it by per-ticket price. System should also display number of tickets purchased in the admin list of registrations and properly handle registration limits.

0 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

59 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • anonymous_206.223.175.10anonymous_206.223.175.10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've added the ability to collect multiple registrations for an event. It was released as part of version 3.3 of Wild Apricot on December 14th.

This is a pretty big piece of functionality that we know you have anticipated for a long time. We want to hear how you're using it, as well as any suggestions you have for it.

Since this thread is going to be archived now, please feel free to add any suggestion or improvements you would like to the Wishlist forum.

• Dmitry ButerinDmitry Buterin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David,

As part of new functionality, administrators will be able to add guests to the main registration so I think this will address your need at least partially.

So once this is released, please review how it matches your needs and if you find anything lacking, please create a new wishlist thread to discuss further enhancements.

• dpbarildpbaril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[quote user="gvalentino"]

We have analyzed a solution for this which is currently in development.

In this we are planning to offer three options - (1) Allow the registrant to select a number of additional tickets to buy for their guests without having to enter any information about them (2) Allow the registrant to enter some basic details about his guest or (3) Have the registrant fill out a complete registration for themselves and their guests.

Our current plans are to release this in version 3.3, which is expected around the end of 2009.

[/quote]

We are still doing a lot of the registration work for our members and it would be helpful if this multiple registration capability is extended to administrators as well.

We also have a situation where we sell a table of eight for a reduced price compared to individual tickets. In this situation we would like to issue a receipt only to the member paying for the table but still register the attendance of the guests.

I understand the scope of this feature is now frozen, but thought it might be useful to document this requirement.

Joe,

For now the scope of this feature is locked. Once it is released, we will start collecting feedback on further enhancements and improvements based on real world usage.

• CJoeGCJoeG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big deal, and each of the three choices will work for us at different times.

Here is what the NJRRC needs to make registering multiple people for events (Teams) work for us:

1) Allow a Team Captain to create a team, with a unique name (the system should check that the Team Name is unique by comparing it to the already registered team names to ensure uniqueness).

2) Allow a Team Captain to set the initial number of team members and to be able to add/change that number (but not to delete the team).

3) Capture certain information about the team captain which includes: First Name, Last Name, Contact email, Contact Phone#, age, etc. (can be done with custom Event Registration Form),

4) Allow payments to be made in installments (this will keep the team captain from having to foot the entire bill as they recruit additional team members).

5) Lock in registration fees for future team members at the rate in effect on the day on which the team was initially created.

So, in addition to the three options which you mentioned, we also need:

a) the ability to enter a team name of no more than 10 characters (currently there is no size checking of text fields in WA), and
        b) the ability to automatically ensure uniqueness of team names (the field needs to be validated to ensure uniqueness and notify the Team Captain if their Team Name has already being taken.)

Without these two additional features we will still not be able to register Teams.

Thanks again for tackling this important area.

Joe

• anonymous_206.223.175.10anonymous_206.223.175.10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have analyzed a solution for this which is currently in development.

In this we are planning to offer three options - (1) Allow the registrant to select a number of additional tickets to buy for their guests without having to enter any information about them (2) Allow the registrant to enter some basic details about his guest or (3) Have the registrant fill out a complete registration for themselves and their guests.

Our current plans are to release this in version 3.3, which is expected around the end of 2009.

The ability to add more than one registrant to an event and only compute one payment - as well as the ability to collect identification are both included into our current scope of work.

Registration for multiple events at once is a totally separate thing so deserves a thread. Unfortunately existence of a shopping card in PayPal itself does not address this issue for our system.

• schisezzaschisezza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dmitry

I wanted to clarify what merits a new thread. At a basic level almost any addition is valuable to us. So the ability to add more than one registrant to an event and only compute one payment is good. The secondary ability to collect identification - good too.

I think what we may be looking for also is the ability to have a shopping cart type ability thus we could combine both multiple people for an event with multiple events for multiple people. As there is already extant in Paypal this ability I wondered if there is a way to work with this without loosing the benefits of tracking and registering participants?

Registering multiple members at once has not come up before and it will not be addresses by what we are doing for event registration. Please create a new thread on this forum and describe the problem and how would you ideally like to see this addressed.

• dfsdfs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Giuliano,

We are very thankful this functionality has risen in priority for WA. After implementing WA for our organization in June, not being able to register more than one individual per transaction has been our number one complaint.

Members in our organization often are registered by a single administrative assistant in an office. The administrative assistant is often responsible for inputting and paying for 10-20 individual memberships. You can imagine the intense amount of repetitive typing the existing workflow creates for these diligent assistants.

I look forward to seeing what WA has in the works!

Please allow for multiple registration (both events and memberships) as soon as possible!

• Michael FayMichael Fay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge hole for our BBQ society as well. For us, the option of a simple drop down to select # of tickets would be fine.

• schisezzaschisezza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

We are just working up our site with wa. The ability to register persons for multiple events for us is 90% of our desired addition to the system. We have families in which one partner can potentially register for themselves their partner and multiple children for several courses. There are several issues that seem apparent - 1. We need to record the participant to the correct event but be able to identify the source registrant(parent) 2. We need a single payment for all courses 3. We may need to send confirmations to the registering partner but may or may not require to send to the other registrants(kids). 4. We dont want to end up somehow with a load of kids 4 years old that are incorporated into the database in some way that we end up email blasting them but I could see wanting to email blast their parents. 

We have not got to company registration which is not an immediate issue for us but assume this will come up with somewhat similar issues down the road.

For us this is the only major deficiency in the software and its solution would make the software fit excellent. I am sure you have many issues but this to us is the major one and would encourage you to resolve asap. Otherwise so far I really like the software.

Thanks

• lucybeercooklucybeercook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important feature, as PayPal is now blocking a second registration using the same credit card. I have been on hold with PayPal customer service in the Phillipines for more than 2 hours, trying to resolve this issue and find a workable solution. This is incredibly frustrating and I would hope that whatever multiple registration solution you create is FULLY integrated and TESTED with PayPal before being made available through Wild Apricot,

• dinosaurdinosaur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further to my post above:

If I am a member and an administrator, when I log-on, the system asks me which I want to log-on as. If a Bundle Administrator could log on as either their account or any of their bundle members' accounts, it would solve many problems. Ideally, if the Bundle Administrator could switch between accounts without a full-blown log-out/log-in and then utilize a shopping cart/checkout for payment all our prayers would be answered! :-)

If modifying the existing "Bundle" type causes systemic problems, perhaps you could create a new account type called "Family" that works exactly like a bundle account with the addition of the logic above.

Regards,
        Ron

• dinosaurdinosaur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll throw in my two cents as well. We are a parent organization where all communication is through the parents but the enrollees are their children. Ideally, if we have an event, a parent would be able to log on and then register as many of their children as they want ... really just a shopping cart application with "checkout" being at the end. Until that is available, I have developed a workaround for our situation:

We have our own domain. So I created a mail address in our domain for each child which forwards to the parents address. This still means a separate log-in for each child...kludgy... but it centralizes event e-mail delivery to the parents mailbox.

But, let me add that a simple multipler without registration details is useless to us.

• admeaadmea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also give this a high priority. We usually have at least three or four different rates for each event, with discounts for additional persons from the same company. The discount is a dollar amount, not a percentage, and it varies by registrant category, (regular or associate member, non-member), so the work-around is awkward. Being able to add staff to a single form would be very helpful.

First I want to say thank you for all the great feedback. The ideas, plus the sense of urgency, have really impressed upon us how important this is. It also means that we want to make sure that we create a solution that works for as many people as possible while not being unwieldy.

We are working on designing the feature right now. We're trying to incorporate as many of these ideas (just sell individual tickets vs collect full registrations) as possible in a flexible framework that lets you decide which approach you want to use.

Hopefully we'll be able to capture as much of this in the first go-around as possible. As soon as this moves to development we'll let you know what and when to expect it. Our goal is to try to get at least a base version of within the next couple of releases.

• alobartnalobartn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply can't wait for even one of these options! I know it must be a difficult task, otherwise it would have been implemented long ago, but PLEASE.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Membership Software - Wild Apricot Contact us:

Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5J 2L7